Machete == September 3rd

Posted by: Kathryn

Machete == September 3rd - 08/25/10 09:18 PM

Well, that's pretty much all I wanted to say! Machete premieres in the US on September 3rd.

Kathryn
Posted by: everyone

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 08/26/10 10:13 AM

Here is the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8rslIZV85U
Posted by: Cord

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 08/26/10 12:45 PM

First Predators.

Then Expendables.

Now Machete.

Its like Hollywood finaly had a year where they sat down and said 'you know that Dave guy in Cambridge? why dont we make a few films just for him?'

Epic Win. I cannot wait for this, as Trejo has been a favourite of mine for years, and is easily the meanest looking dude ever cool plus I love the Mariachi trilogy and Dusk Till Dawn, so its good to see Rodriguez back in that style of film making.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 08/26/10 01:28 PM

That looks pretty badass. Jessica Alba doesn't hurt, either.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 08/26/10 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: MattJ
Jessica Alba doesn't hurt, either.

she does if you ask nicely wink
Posted by: bcihak

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 08/30/10 07:13 PM

Well, I have heard some unpleasant things about machete. Probably will not see it. Well, yeah, I will not see it. Not too much of a Rodriguez fan anyway.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 08/31/10 07:55 AM

I'm only going to see it out of curiosity myself. It might be one for the DVD.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/04/10 09:21 PM

There is a good review of Machete at Bighollywood.com by John Nolte. One could ask, what is with Robert Rodriguez? Me thinks there might be a little bit of America hating in this movie. What say you?

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/05/10 11:16 AM

Originally Posted By: bcihak
One could ask, what is with Robert Rodriguez? Me thinks there might be a little bit of America hating in this movie. What say you?

That depends. Would you say that Desperado was a mexican hating film? Its villain was a stereotypical latin-american drug baron after all.

Whilst the plot centers around a contentious domestic issue, I would suggest that Rodriguez is more about making bad guys out of the corrupt, rather than an entire nation. After all, Jessica Alba plays a US Marshal who joins him to fight the villains.

So the only way this film could be anti american is if the entire US govt was corrupt and not treating the immigration issue correctly.

Its not saying that. Are you?

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/05/10 01:35 PM

Does Jessica Alba say that people who believe only in legal immigration should be cut down? What exactly did she say? Who would you rather be stopped by, Mexican border guards on the southern border of Mexico, or American Border patrol in any American border state?

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/05/10 04:09 PM

Does Jessica Alba say that people who believe only in legal immigration should be cut down? What exactly did she say? Who would you rather be stopped by, Mexican border guards on the southern border of Mexico, or American Border patrol in any American border state?

What are you babbling about?

You have posited that this film is 'anti-american' ,(quite frankly you seem to think everything from Shakespear to The Muppets have anti USA agenda messages, and its not only getting boring, but a little tragic), and I have offered a direct example of a character in the film who is a duly appointed representative of the US government who is a hero in the movie.

A corrupt senator would be against everything you value in the concept of your free america, so in truth, battling such a character makes Machete pro USA doesnt it.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/05/10 05:17 PM

I'm curious about what Kathryn has to say. Is Jessica Alba the way John Nolte states she is or is she more like the way cord describes her speach about illegal aliens vs. Americans?

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/06/10 04:34 AM

Why not watch it yourself and form your own opinion?

There is something vastly Ironic about a country built by, and populated exclusively by, immigrant, population, that then simultaneously celebrates their non indiginous heritages, whilst turning hostile to the concept of immigration from a race of people who are the only one's with a history of living on the land mass in question for thousands of years.

Emma Lazarus is no doubt, a veritable gyroscope within her grave.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/06/10 08:49 AM

I have heard enough to make me wait till its on cable. Also, we aren't hostile to immigration by any group. My grandparents came from Germany and Ireland. They, however, followed the rules. The immigrants from mexico are just as welcome as anyone else, but they are breaking the law. Scotlands guy over here, Craig Ferguson just became a U.S. citizen. It took him years to become a citizen. Should we tell him, yeah, you went through all the hoops, paid a lot of money and waited a long time, but we will ignore all of that just because it is easy to walk across the border from mexico.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/06/10 09:04 AM

Should we tell him, yeah, you went through all the hoops, paid a lot of money and waited a long time, but we will ignore all of that just because it is easy to walk across the border from mexico.

Birds fly south for the winter, to where they know that they can find food and ensure their young survive. If they had access to the food in the north, they would not ned to make the journey.

The war in Iraq has so far cost 3 TRILLION DOLLARS. Imagine how much good that would have done for the infrastructure of Mexico, and the opportunities and lives of its people.
Imagine how many less would be desperate enough to leave their families, their homes and risk their lives in the underworld of illegal migrant work.

The Irish had a terrible reputation upon their arrival en masse in the US just 160 years ago, due to the blight. They didnt have money to buy themselves a new start, they just had desperation, and hope, and need for a better life.

If you were alive back then, your granparents wouldnt have stood a f*cking chance in the USA that you are so proud of would they?

As a patriot, as a defender of American values, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/06/10 11:58 AM

I respectfully ask that this thread not be turned into a political fight.

Kathryn

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/06/10 02:45 PM

What are you talking about? Tell your story to the mexican government, it's their job to look after their citizens. Not stood a chance? Funny how many immigrants did stand a chance and made good lives here. True, whatever process we have for clearing new immigrants in needs to be streamlined, but come on. Everyone needs to follow the same process until its fixed. There are a lot of people waiting to be citizens besides people from mexico. Back to the point, I think Robert Rodriguez is a pretty bad director, and story teller. From Predators, he seems to be okay at the producing side.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/06/10 03:29 PM

Oh, what's with the swearing anyway? I asked some polite questions. Why so testy?

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/06/10 04:55 PM

Kathryn, no problem.

bcihak, you didnt ask some 'polite' questions, you trolled with the only criteria you seem to judge a movie on, being its relation to your narrow, unpleasant idea of what your country stands for.

The irony is that, if and when anti american sentiment is expressed in any of the arts, it is as a direct result of people like you, not the silent majority of US citizens who truly believe and want it to be a land of opportunity for all.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/06/10 05:01 PM

Do you drink a lot of red bull when you go on line? A lot of stress at work? Have you tried yoga? I have heard it is quite relaxing.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/07/10 07:20 AM

bcihak, your passive-aggressive BS is as clear to Cord as it is to me. Once again, quit your whining, crybaby. You'll get a better response from us when you stop jamming your insane political ramblings in to every single post you make.

Can't be any more clear than that.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/07/10 05:52 PM

MattJ, maybe you and Cord could take the yoga class together.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/07/10 06:07 PM

*rolls eyes* Exactly what I mean.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/07/10 09:39 PM

Matt does Yoga already. I do not, though I am pretty sure that even if I did, It would not make me see your trolling of the film forum as any less predictable or repetetive.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/08/10 09:49 AM

Movie looks good, I don't care what the political message is, Trejo kicks ass. That said though, making Mexico a nice, happy place for Mexicans and adopting the unhappy ones till Mexico becomes such isn't our job. You come to America to be an American, not a Mexican. Why is it that when every other country cracks down on illegal immigration and even immigration in general nobody gives a rats ass, when we do it "oh my god you're all racists and you're abusing human rights blah blah blah" what a double standard. If America is such a great place to be, than grow some balls and put in the effort to get here they way our laws saw are acceptable. Otherwise [censored] off.
And yes we could've saved a lot of money on Iraq, I wish we had, it was a pointless war. Had we saved all the money what obligation would we have had to give it all to Mexicans or any other country has to have all their problems solved for them?
Mexico doesn't even want their people, they hate it when we send Mexicans back to Mexico. What kind of country does that? Your poor, sorry, that sucks, find something useful to produce and create jobs.
What about their human rights abuses? We happen to be one of the strongest countries on earth for a few years and suddenly it's our job to save everybody. I'm all for helping people, key word being HELP not do everything.
End rant.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/11/10 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Stormdragon
That said though, making Mexico a nice, happy place for Mexicans and adopting the unhappy ones till Mexico becomes such isn't our job.

No. Why help neighbour when you can shoot a stranger right?

Quote:
You come to America to be an American, not a Mexican.

I take it you walk the streets on St Patricks day berating your countrymen for celebrating the day then?

Quote:
Why is it that when every other country cracks down on illegal immigration and even immigration in general nobody gives a rats ass, when we do it "oh my god you're all racists and you're abusing human rights blah blah blah" what a double standard.

Mainly because no other country defines itself as a land of opportunity for the poor and a fresh start for the disenfranchised of the world. Also, because no other country is as young, nor as entirely built by the labour of immigrants as the USA. just makes it all that little extra bit hypocritical.

Quote:
If America is such a great place to be, than grow some balls and put in the effort to get here they way our laws saw are acceptable. Otherwise [censored] off.

Jeez, maybe you and Bcihak should balaclava-up and go angle grind the poem off the plaque on the statue of liberty together. Then you could go pay a couple of bucks to screw illegal immigrant prostitutes being forced by organised criminals to pay off their transportation fee by gagging on their knees for 20 guys a day. Its the american way.

Quote:
And yes we could've saved a lot of money on Iraq, I wish we had, it was a pointless war. Had we saved all the money what obligation would we have had to give it all to Mexicans or any other country has to have all their problems solved for them?

You dont get it do you? Immigration is your problem. It costs billions to try and police the borders, and its not working. If you invest that same money in fixing the infrastructure of mexico, you make less people have the need to escape. Its a different means to the same end, its just one way you dont have to act like a bunch of racist a$$holes in the process.

Quote:
Mexico doesn't even want their people, they hate it when we send Mexicans back to Mexico. What kind of country does that?

The kind that cannot feed or support them. 1 Trillion invested in death in the middle east, and investing in life on your very doorstep seems illogical to you.

Quote:
Your poor, sorry, that sucks, find something useful to produce and create jobs.

OK Storm, you can't read, you can't write, you live in a 1 horse dustbowl and that horse is lame. Make a life for yourself mate, go on, give me an action plan.

Quote:
What about their human rights abuses?

If you buy into their development, you buy control and influence. You could stop that.

Quote:
We happen to be one of the strongest countries on earth for a few years and suddenly it's our job to save everybody. I'm all for helping people, key word being HELP not do everything.
End rant.

Its a role you snatched greedily, and having done so, its a bit damn strange to get selective about it.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/12/10 02:11 AM

Yes, vulgarity from Cord, on top of name calling and swearing, good job. You know, kids may be on this sight and if I was a moderator I would deleat your last post. Yes, we should give billions of dollars to Mexican criminal politicians so they can line their own pockets at the expense of their own people. The same criminal politicians in mexico who have created a climate that drives their people to cross a desert with violent criminals in order to escape the crushing poverty their politicians have created. I'm sure the money would be wisely spent. How exactly is asking that people obey the law being a racist. I don't care if you come from Mexico, Ireland, Germany or Antarctica, just obey our laws to become a citizen, just like the people who are obeying the laws. I would have to say helping all of the screwed up countries around the world is something we have been reluctant to do, especially in the past. It is money well spent in the middle east. If you can turn islamic based dictatorships closer to democracies of some form, they may stop sending terrorists around the world to kill us, you and the israelis, and the spanish and the australians and india ....Besides, it is good to have large numbers of troops on both sides of Iran. It will be easier to help their dissidents over throw their islamic terrorist supporting governments if we are in the neighborhood than if we have to do it from a long distance. that is when we actually have a president who doesn't think that Iran with nukes is a good idea. Apparently we have given Mexico money to develop oil drilling in the gulf of mexico, you know, the same gulf of mexico that our current president has put a moratorium on American oil drilling. That really makes sense.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/12/10 03:08 AM

Yes, vulgarity from Cord, on top of name calling and swearing, good job. You know, kids may be on this sight and if I was a moderator I would deleat your last post.

Then fee free to report it. That is your right, your complaint will not be handled by me, and nor will I be treated with favouritism by the mod handling the complaint.
Of course, technicaly, all political discussion is against the rules on this site, so your multiple threads attempting to address poliitical agenda in mainstream movies are all against code of conduct, and I could have deleted/locked them at any time. I do like a bit of freedom of speech here and there though- how about you?

Quote:
Yes, we should give billions of dollars to Mexican criminal politicians so they can line their own pockets at the expense of their own people. The same criminal politicians in mexico who have created a climate that drives their people to cross a desert with violent criminals in order to escape the crushing poverty their politicians have created. I'm sure the money would be wisely spent.

Magnificent misrepresentation of the possibilities inherent in funding reform of the magnitute in this hypothetical situation. With the equivalent budget of the war plus homeland mexican border patrols, you could literaly rebuild the political infrastructure from the ground up, and ensure that the corruption was less blatant, less reckless, and more in line with developed countries democratic process.

Quote:
How exactly is asking that people obey the law being a racist. I don't care if you come from Mexico, Ireland, Germany or Antarctica, just obey our laws to become a citizen, just like the people who are obeying the laws.

But the rules ensure that only those with money can come in. What use is a land of opportunity when it precludes that opportunity from those that need it?

Quote:
I would have to say helping all of the screwed up countries around the world is something we have been reluctant to do, especially in the past.

The past is the past. This is simply not the case with modern America. Its true that you were reluctant to help allied forces fight Hitler until nearly half way through the war, and if it were not for Pearl Harbour, exactly how far you would have let him get with his plan we will never know, but thankfully your govt. got its act together in the nick of time.

Nowadays, its all about freedom for the middle east. You want to help these impoverished, undeveloped peoples, struggling under the yolk of unjust rule. You will throw the lives of the young to the winds like confetti in the name of freedom for people who culturaly neither want, understand, or appreciate a western concept of democracy. They dont want teen-pregnancy, Britney Spears, McDonalds or bubblegum. They do not see the west as having a blueprint for a better way of life.

So why 'help' those who never asked for it, nor even seem to want it?

It can't be because of compassion for your fellow man, I mean, after all, you have just acknowledged the crushing poverty and corruption that exists in Mexico, and you clearly couldn't give a cr4p about them.

Nor can it be because you disagree inherently with unjust dictatorship - because Mugabe has done 50 times the damage and horror that Saddam ever did, and your leaders will give that lunatic a belly-rub and a good hotel when he visits.

Quote:
It is money well spent in the middle east.

So what's in the middle east that plucks at your heart strings? Oil? Strategic Military position?

On a machiavellian level, these are not unreasonable things to covet, but for goodness sake, dont try and sell the whole thing as an act of compassion, or as anything other than speculation for accumulation.

There is no book-profit in acts of genuine kindness, and that is why you will always make excuses for leaving Mexico poor and desperate, whilst charging in saving those who dont want a conditional freedom based on adoption of a culture foreign to them. That is Rome all over again, and as high as an empire rises, it is its nature to fall.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/12/10 11:17 AM

Again, I respectfully ask that this thread now be ended. It's odd that one of the readers and not a moderator has to repeatedly make this request. How does one become a moderator on this site?

Kathryn

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/12/10 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Kathryn
Again, I respectfully ask that this thread now be ended. It's odd that one of the readers and not a moderator has to repeatedly make this request. How does one become a moderator on this site?

Kathryn

You get asked by the administrator, based on a body of quality contributions over a long membership on the site. Having proven expertise in a particular topic and an ability and enthusiasm to discuss it helps also.
Back in the day, this site was a very different beast, with trolls, and a very high number of 'drive by' posters. The trolls were locked down hard in a war of attrition, and have long since found easier sites to disrupt. The volume of posting was killed by the banner adverts (site owners choice) meaning the site now gets flagged as high risk on several major search engines, so traffic slowed considerably.

As for this or any other thread, the path they take, and the content cannot be dictated by the originator - that is simply not how public conversation works. I agree that this thread has gone a bit off topic, but to be fair, nobody seemed too interested in discussing the film, merely some of the issues it touches on through its fictional context.

I am in a no win situation, as if I dont lock it, you feel I am negligent, and if I do lock it, bc and possibly storm will feel I have abused my mod. powers to deny them right of reply.

I suggest that those guys be given last word on the material that you seem unhappy about, and then you post a review of the movie, with your thoughts/opinions on it as a piece of cinema to get the thread back where you want it to be.

If it gets sabotaged/hijacked again, well, then I will just lock it down.

Sound fair?

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/12/10 02:40 PM

1. corruption will waste that money
2. Everything is always easier with money. I still do not follow how insisting people follow the laws created by a representative republic is Racist.
3.Mugabe isn't supporting terrorism against us and as soon as he does he needs to be squashed. My main concern is for the safety and well being of citizens of the U.S. I like that we help other countries whenever we can. That is what a good country does. The middle east is a focus now because they are sending killers around the world to murder our citizens and people from other countries. That isn't going to stop until they are more stable, more democratic and more free. Iraq won the lottery. Their dictator was in a position to be continuing threat to us, and we were in a position to squash him. Their people now have a chance to shape their country the way they want. If people around the world had more sense, they would help us deal with Iran.
5. I do disagree with unjust dictatorship. The U.S. only has so much blood and treasure to give out. I would support giving aid to people who want to get rid of Mugabe, however, it needs to be done by the people most affected by it much like the corruption in mexico. Mexico has a pressure release valve in that so many of their best people leave that country to work here. If they focused on changing their own country things would be better.
6. How to fix immigration.
-Build a nice big fence.
-Take 50 percent of I.R.S. or equivalent gov. types and set up new processing centers on the mexican border to make it easier for Mexicans who want to work here to do it legally.
-Massive fines and jail time for businesses that hire people, from anywhere, that work here illegally.
-Set up a workers program for immigrants so that they can easily work here legally, and then apply for citizenship, what we have now does not work because it is taking too long.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/12/10 06:37 PM

Now anyone seen the damn movie yet and if so, how was/is it?

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/13/10 07:11 AM

Cord: what I object to at this point is having to watch a moderator not follow the rules of the forum that he is supposed to monitor. No one is feeding the troll but you, and we could have gotten past the political crap days ago.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/13/10 07:55 AM

As the originator of the thread regarding this movie, have you anything to say regarding it?

I mean, if you want to use this as your chance to take shots at me, then feel free. You wouldnt be the first, and doubt you will be the last.

Seems a strange way to get a thread back on the topic of a Rodriguez movie, but go ahead and fill your boots smile

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/13/10 09:35 AM

bchiak -

Quote:
Their dictator was in a position to be continuing threat to us, and we were in a position to squash him.

That is a damn lie and you know it. There were NO WMD's, and Hussein was in no position to threaten us whatsoever. Bush 1 had a chance to kill him and didn't. Put your koolaide down for one second, please.

Quote:
-Massive fines and jail time for businesses that hire people, from anywhere, that work here illegally.

Your republican big-business buddies will never go for that - that would mean they would have to pay living wages, benefits and taxes for millions of their employees. You are in massive denial about the nature of your chosen political party.

Re: Machete == September 3rd - 09/13/10 11:03 AM

OK, with full acknowledgement that I participated in discussing the socio-political hot potatoe's around which the film 'Machete' was based, and having given those of opposing views final right to reply, I will now lock this thread as it is clear that there is not much interest in the movie itself.

It gets a UK release later in the year, and who knows, maybe then there will be more who have seen it and feel they want to talk about it.