MMA Idea

Posted by: ninpopo

MMA Idea - 07/19/10 07:43 AM

I thought of an idea over the weekend which i think would be pretty cool, in Mixed martial arts, they concentrate epically on hand to hand combat, but wont it be great to watch something where they have a weapons sub division of MMA? Where they hook up an expert in sword fighting against an expert in nunchucks etc? Obviously protection is madatory and they fight with wooden weapons etc. Like in boxing, they can have KOs as a win, TKOs and of course a point system.

Afterall, most martial arts do use weapons so it only makes sense smile
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: MMA Idea - 07/19/10 09:39 AM

Don't Dog Brothers do something not a million miles away? Aren't various weapons used in an "alive" setting?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: MMA Idea - 07/19/10 10:26 AM

Yup, PW is correct. The Dog brothers were actually supposed to be part of the early era UFC's, but were nixed because they came off as "too violent", LOL. TV is apparently still not ready for full-contact wepaons stuff.
Posted by: Cord

Re: MMA Idea - 07/19/10 11:05 AM

Dog Brothers are my absolute favourite Martial Artists of current times. I love what they stand for, and what they do.

Give me a lottery win, and my left knee at full strength, and I would love to attend and fight at a Pack gathering. It just doesnt get any better than that for me.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: MMA Idea - 07/19/10 12:34 PM

They the DB are pretty bad arse.

I was looking at their next event in September and realized they don't even charge. Man, all I need is a plane ticket and hotel room to Cali...Road trip anyone? :-)

Re: MMA Idea - 07/20/10 01:10 PM

Plane ticket
hotel room

Plus:
Hockey Gloves
Weapon(s) of choice
Fencing helmet
Oxycodone
Iodine
Butterfly strips
Chemical Ice packs
Health Insurance (including dental)
Posted by: Kathryn

Re: MMA Idea - 07/29/10 08:17 AM

Originally Posted By: ninpopo
I thought of an idea over the weekend which i think would be pretty cool, in Mixed martial arts, they concentrate epically on hand to hand combat, but wont it be great to watch something where they have a weapons sub division of MMA? Where they hook up an expert in sword fighting against an expert in nunchucks etc? Obviously protection is madatory and they fight with wooden weapons etc. Like in boxing, they can have KOs as a win, TKOs and of course a point system.

Afterall, most martial arts do use weapons so it only makes sense smile

I'm just going to interject the caveat that many of the wooden weapons are considered deadly. Blades aren't needed to kill or maim. You would have to have some strict rules on where to hit to avoid quick deaths.

(I will have to look up some vids of the Dog Brothers, can't remember if I've seen them or not.)

Kathryn

Re: MMA Idea - 07/29/10 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Kathryn
(I will have to look up some vids of the Dog Brothers, can't remember if I've seen them or not.)

Kathryn

Here you go smile : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVhZBDgcUxQ
Posted by: ninpopo

Re: MMA Idea - 07/29/10 11:52 AM

@kathryn, what you say is true, but thats kinda gonna take the fun out of it, imho since its a lot more dangerous than normal hand to hand fighting (well this is also debatable), the participants should be payed more than the normal MMA guys.

It would be an entertaining sport to watch, but according to international sports regulations, something like this is probably most likely never gonna happen frown