Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84

Posted by: Ed_Morris

Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/06/08 10:24 AM

R.I.P.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080406/ap_on_en_mo/obit_heston
Posted by: trevek

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/06/08 02:27 PM

Sad. He was great.

Shame too many people got suckered about him by Farenheit 9/11. Michael M made him look like a racist, when in fact he actually worked with Martin Luther King during the civil rights years.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/06/08 03:09 PM

Yep, Michael Moore is a putz, and also a member of the NRA making him a hypocritical putz.

Charlton Heston, one of the greats.

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/07/08 03:31 AM

Ooops, it wasn't Farenheit, it was "Bowling for Columbine"
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/07/08 03:39 AM

Quote:

Sad. He was great.

Shame too many people got suckered about him by Farenheit 9/11. Michael M made him look like a racist, when in fact he actually worked with Martin Luther King during the civil rights years.

I'd be interested to see the extent of his "work with MLK", got anything for me to look at?

Wait I looked it up, I admit I didn't know he'd been involved with civil rights.

I don't see what's to like so much about the guy unless you're a big fan of his movies, or you happen to simply be in agreement with his politics.

What do people like about him, beyond just being a famous actor?

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/07/08 04:51 AM

Quote:

I don't see what's to like so much about the guy unless you're a big fan of his movies, or you happen to simply be in agreement with his politics.

What do people like about him, beyond just being a famous actor?

What a strange question. People in entertainment and the arts gain respect and affection of the public (or fail to) dependant largely on the pleasure their talent brings to the masses, and also, for many, how they conduct themselves as individuals.

In a time when a Young actor OD's because he found playing a comic book villain too 'harrowing', Paris Hilton is famous for being born rich and giving head on camera, and every other 'star' just wants to be photographed without underwear or with their newborn child for vast sums of cash; many look to the old days of Hollywood for real talents and real character.

Charlton Heston is not only iconic as an actor, but also lived his life with conviction. I dont agree with all his opinions, but he never voiced them purely for media attention. He was a commited involved human being, who used his profile to try and make a difference throughout his career. He was married for 64 years, and anyone who is married knows the dedication it takes to make such ever changing relationships work.

He was a 'classy' guy, and his films will live on beyond your lifetime, and mine. I also think his insight into the power and motivations of the media are nothing short of prophetic, and will come to be recognised as true, sadly too late.

How's that for ya?
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/07/08 08:50 AM

Exactly.
Nothing to add.

Rest in peace.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/07/08 01:21 PM

the thread was a notification, not a political statement...plus everyone ultimately deserves to rest in peace - or, if not, I'm not willing to assume that judgement.

although, I will say his fight scenes in movies were pretty unconvincing. It practially looked like he wanted to get captured in 'Planet of the Apes'.

as I said: Rest In Peace. His movies will outlast his associations.
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/07/08 01:42 PM

I just hard a recording of him on Rush Limbaugh from 1995, talking about "global warming" and the history of the earth and it's resiliency.

The man was highly inteligent, well informed and a brilliant and articulate speaker.

I always liked his movies and he was a great representative of American values. He worked for civil rights with MLK and was always an outspoekn supporter of the Constitution and freedom. There is really no way to be "against" what he stood for and campaigned for and still say you support Civil Rights, the Constitution and the freedoms that American's (used to) enjoy.
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/07/08 02:38 PM

Quote:

I also think his insight into the power and motivations of the media are nothing short of prophetic, and will come to be recognised as true, sadly too late.

So basically you do, in fact, agree with his politics, gotcha. Coulda just said so.

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/07/08 03:42 PM

Quote:

He was married for 64 years, and anyone who is married knows the dedication it takes to make such ever changing relationships work.

He was on a UK chat show once and was asked the secret of a long marriage. He replied "Always tell your wife 3 little words" Of course, the interviewer said "You mean, 'I love you'?"

"No," he replied "I was wrong."

The women cheered!
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/07/08 03:48 PM

I'm wondering who got the job of prying that rifle from his cold, dead hands.

Sorry, I just have a sick sense of humor. Not trying to offend anyone or disrespect the man,,, far from it. RIP

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/07/08 03:54 PM

Probably Chuck Norris
Posted by: grumbleweed

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/07/08 04:00 PM

i watched ben hur on tv just a week ago or so for the first time in many years. tip top movie

rip (and no hijacking the thread with troll bait political statements- Cord)

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/07/08 04:29 PM

Didn't CH do all his own chariot driving for that film?

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/07/08 04:39 PM

i dont know. cord will, hes the film trivia nerd here!

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/08/08 03:18 AM

Not a story I have heard personaly. Also no mention on IMDB or similar sites.

I find it doubtfull, as Ben Hur was a massively expensive movie, and with Heston as the lead, insurance stipulations would not allow it- especially as filming of the scene in the first film of the story caused actuall death

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/08/08 04:18 AM

According to the mighty wikipedia (so it MUST be true) Heston was taught to drive a chariot, however it doesn't say how much of the racing he actually did. Apparently the death story is questionable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben-Hur_%281959_film%29#The_chariot_race

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/08/08 04:44 AM

how did harold lloyd get insured!?.....different era i suppose.....

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/08/08 04:57 AM

Harold Lloyd was also missing a couple of fingers from his hand aftr an accident with pyrotechnics. However, some of his films, like "Safety Last" were filmed above safety floors etc.

James Cagney almost died when the real bullets from a gunfight just missed him during the film 'shoot'.

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/08/08 06:26 AM

Quote:

According to the mighty wikipedia (so it MUST be true) Heston was taught to drive a chariot, however it doesn't say how much of the racing he actually did. Apparently the death story is questionable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben-Hur_%281959_film%29#The_chariot_race

I was not referring to the Heston Ben Hur re. the deaths, there was an earlier, silent movie in which there are verified deaths of both humans and horses during the chariot race.

Grumbleweed, yes it was a different era, and one that is now over, with more savy audiences very hot at spotting stunt doubles, more and more stars are encouraged to do as much of their own action work as is possible.

Re: Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84 - 04/08/08 06:31 AM

In silent movies nothing would surprise me! I recall the story of the stunt extra who agreed, for a few dollars more, to roll down the side of the temple building in "Intolerance". Apparently they had to "paint him in iodine".