Where Has All The Wrestling Gone?

Posted by: Cord

Where Has All The Wrestling Gone? - 09/29/07 04:55 AM

Re-posted on behalf of WillW, with thanks for his patience

Marcus Trower the guy in this series of videos on WoMA TV

http://woma.tv/woma?video_construct_id=606

went around the globe, over several years, searching for the lost art of wrestling; from India to BJJ in Brazil. He was a pleasure to interview with a lot of interesting insights along the way. Have a look for yourselves, the book is a good read too. Be interesting to know what you think of his research.

Cheers

Will
Hope this is the appropriate place to post and yes I have an interest in WoMA.TV if that matters.
Posted by: WillW

Re: Where Has All The Wrestling Gone? - 09/29/07 05:22 AM

What did you make of Marcus Trower's self funded journey and his contention that men are genetically predisposed to fight/ wrestle/ display to win women?

Thanks for approving the post too.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Where Has All The Wrestling Gone? - 09/29/07 08:56 AM

Anyone who has spent any time reading my views on SD/life in general on here will tell you I see humans as nothing more, or less, than animals, and our basic instincts and drives as unafected by our illusiory self professed 'superiority', so, in short, I agree. Territory, breeding rights and social pecking order are all prime motivators for violence in our society- its just sociologists who like to dress up the base responses with fancy terms.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Where Has All The Wrestling Gone? - 09/29/07 12:35 PM

Quote:

What did you make of Marcus Trower's self funded journey and his contention that men are genetically predisposed to fight/ wrestle/ display to win women?

Close to the mark, IMHO. I think it's status, actually, that we crave. Women, victory, money, etc. All just the trappings and spoils that lead to status (power).
Posted by: WillW

Re: Where Has All The Wrestling Gone? - 09/29/07 12:38 PM

It is interesting that Marcus actually unearthed a tribe in Nigeria where the men still wrestle to attract or even simply win women; not quite UFC but an equally important part of their life.