WWE movies

Posted by: Cord

WWE movies - 01/24/07 03:46 PM

OK, the critics hated it. It is dumb. It has more unnecessary explosions than any film since I dont know when, and is essentialy a straight to video 80's action movie with better production values, but DAMN I LOVED IT!!! I thought John Cena did a great job- maybe not as charismatic as Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, but still awesome, and the fight scenes were very nicely done.

Then there is 'See No Evil' starring Kane as a serial killer in an abandoned hotel. Again, nothing original, but some nice (nasty) moments, and Kane makes a welcome addition to the Slasher community.

I am not entirely sure why these movies have been slammed so hard by the critics, other than a sense of snobbery where 'art' is seen as more important than entertainment.

Apparently Stone Cold is due to star in a WWE produced movie, and i cant wait.

Anyone else seen these movies- whats your verdict?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: WWE movies - 01/24/07 05:13 PM

Dwyane Johnson's movies have been pretty good especially "The Rundown". He currently has 4 other movies to come out in 2007/2008.

I haven't seen John Cena's movie "The Marine" yet but actually will watch it when it comes to video. He is also working on another film.

I have not seen "See No Evil" starring Glen Jacobs (Kane) and actually forgot he did this; I may check it out on video.

"The Longest Yard", though not at WWE movie to my knowledge, look at all of the wrestling talent in that movie including Stone Cold Steve Austin, Bill Goldberg, Bob Sapp (did also wrestling for a time; K1 now), Dalip Singh (signed now with WWE), Kevin Nash and probably a few more I can't remember.

I'll probably rent Stone Cold's "The Condemned" due this year. I just don't see him as a viable action hero type but I could be proven wrong. To me he just seems one dimensional whereas Dwayne Johnson "The Rock" has more personality and charisma, and funny as hell. Did you ever see him on Saturday Night Live?

The thing with WWE, it sort of feels like Saturday Night Live when they ventured out into movies. Duds for sure but then you find some gems that are fantastic. That is what I expect with the WWE.
Posted by: Cord

Re: WWE movies - 01/25/07 12:52 AM

What I find interesting is that i was never a huge fan of The rock as a wrestler (peoples elbow is the dumbest finisher I have ever seen, and 'can you smellllll what the rock is cookin' was just lame), yet he comes alive on screen, then you have guys who are much better and more colourful wrestlers who just dont translate quite as well.

Stone Cold is for me the greatest wrestler/character there ever was in WWE, so I am absolutely psyched about his movie.

I think you will enjoy the Marine amigo
Posted by: Taison

Re: WWE movies - 01/25/07 03:50 AM

I myself, am a big fan of The Rock. I've watched every movie with him, seen most of his career as a wrestler from the time he was still Rocky Maivia, through the "Corporate" days, until the match with Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania. Talk about long time, jeesh.

The thing with The Rock, he just this type of magnet. No matter what stupid things he does, people will like him. People loved him when he was "the People's Champ", people loved to hate him when he was the "Corporate Champ". He's just really good at acting.

Him translating to movies is just really awesome. Although he doesn't look like a normal actor, he's quite good at it. Take some guys like Hulk Hogan. . awful actor (Ninja kids springs into mind)

I want to watch The Marine. Haven't seen it yet. Also didn't watch "See no Evil".

-Taison out
Posted by: NewJitsu

Re: WWE movies - 01/25/07 07:20 AM

Got to say I stopped watching the wrestling when The Rock quit. You only have to go onto youtube to watch compilations of his WWE vignettes and no one could touch him. Very clever, great showman and a good actor. The Scorpion King, Welcome to the Jungle, he was about the only saving grace in Be Cool... Love him.

Apart from the fact there only seem to be 3 wrestling matches in a whole 2hr WWE programme now, I really don't think there are wrestlers of his intelligence anymore. Or maybe Vince McMahon stifles it, I don't know.

But yeah, the people's elbow's cr*p...!

Re: WWE movies - 01/25/07 09:29 AM

What, you don't like the People's Elbow? What's your name? .... It doesn't matter what your name is!!!!!!!!!!

The Rock sure likes his pie.

Re: WWE movies - 01/31/07 09:37 AM

Well I watch The Marine last night and it was "okay". Little too much machoism but I expected that. The guy was pretty industructable; too much for my liking. The woman who played his wife was a very good looking.

I also watched Miami Vice, Flyboys, John Tucker Must Die and Crank. At around 5:00 AM or so I wondered if I should just stay up or lay down until the alarm rings at 6:50 AM to get up to go to work. I almost wished I'd picked up one more movie and also thought about playing the X-Box 360 until it was time to shower. Oh well, laid down for a while and now off to work.