Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai

Posted by: shorin-ji

Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai - 10/28/06 05:03 PM

this is a fantastic movie about a african american living in the new york projects who is a hit man living by the code of the samurai (the book hagakure) its a very cool film with excellent acting by Forest Wittaker. this movie also has a excellent soundtrack composed by Rza from The Wu-Tang Clan
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai - 10/28/06 05:10 PM

I havent seen it but the idea seemed a little hoky to me. I mean, Forrest Whitaker deadly samurai? I dont see it.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai - 10/28/06 05:31 PM

it has zero MA in it, he is a hitman who lives by the code of Budo, and is completely loyal to his 'retainer'.

It is simply one of the best movies ever made, and Whitaker manages to convey a huge amount of warmth, and emotion in what is essentialy a cold and withdrawn character. Mesmerising music, quotes from the hagakure at the begining of each 'chapter' of the story, the essence of friendship conveyed through ice cream.

Pure Genius.

Re: Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai - 10/28/06 05:33 PM

Really!? Man I might have to catch it one boring sunday afternoon.

Re: Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai - 10/28/06 05:35 PM

its worth giving up an exciting friday night for- trust me
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai - 10/29/06 03:08 AM

Here's the video trailer. You can chose by Real Player or Windows Media Player.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165798/trailers
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai - 10/29/06 06:23 AM

I caught it by chance on Austar the other nite. I thought it was typical Forest Whitaker a'la film noir. Good movie... if only for the plot, subtext and the intermittent excerpts from Rashomon and Hagakure.

If you're looking for MA action, forget it... Kung-fu Hustle might be more your kinda thing.

Re: Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai - 10/29/06 12:04 PM

Im going to take a look at it. As far as Kung Fu hustle, Man thats a funny movie. It had every cheesy character you ever saw.
Posted by: crablord

Re: Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai - 10/30/06 03:52 AM

kung fu hustle was strange to say the least, I thought it would be a kung pow clone, but it was like a cross between looney toons, a drama movie and a retro kung fu movie. frigging retarted and it didnt work. I might download this hitman movie though seeing as its not at vid easy
Posted by: vegantkd

Re: Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai - 11/02/06 10:10 PM

I agree with you about Forest Whitaker's portrayal of Ghost Dog. He was a very likeable character even though he was essentially a cold assassin. I loved this movie.
Posted by: Hagakure

Re: Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai - 12/15/06 07:33 PM

Quote:

its worth giving up an exciting friday night for- trust me

100percent true
Posted by: pianoperson

Re: Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai - 12/15/06 09:06 PM

worth seeing if for no other reason you liked his performance in "last king of scotland" (excellent film) and want to see him in another one of his more acclaimed roles.
Posted by: Crash

Re: Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai - 12/21/06 08:35 PM

I liked it, It's a bit different you know.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai - 12/22/06 11:19 AM

It's what you call a 'cult' film (I can't pin down a 'genre' for it)...and actually sits quite comfortably next to my 'Seven Samurai' DVD set.

Re: Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai - 12/22/06 12:30 PM

agreed Harlan, Jim Jarmusch is a very quirky film maker. it also shares some similarity with 'Rumble Fish' both in tone and theme.