Posted by: JoelM

300 - 10/18/06 11:05 AM

http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/

Posted by: MattJ

Re: 300 - 10/18/06 12:00 PM

Haven't heard of it, but it looks pretty cool!
Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: 300 - 10/18/06 12:22 PM

It does, indeed. And there's some impressive beardage in that trailer.

This is more from the Sin City writer, isn't it?
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: 300 - 10/18/06 03:17 PM

I am so pumped for that movie I am a bit of a Spartan freak. I walk around saying "This is Sparta!"
Posted by: Dereck

Re: 300 - 10/19/06 03:02 AM

Awesome, awesome, awesome .... I'm there. Wicked.

Re: 300 - 12/08/06 09:03 AM

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/300.html

new, longer, more kick-ass trailer

Re: 300 - 12/08/06 09:28 AM

BOO-YAH!
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: 300 - 12/09/06 08:51 AM

When I saw the first trailer, I thought "This is Gladiator-lite with some SFX from a PS2!" But I have to admit it does look good with the extended trailer.

Frank Miller wrote the the series of comic books (or are they Graphic novels?) that the movie is based on. He is also the author of the Sin City series:

http://moebiusgraphics.com/comics/300.php

The movie is based on his story for 300 rather than the strict historical evidence that is know regarding the Battle of Thermopylae. For instance, not all of the Greek force were Spartans according to historians. So this movie is more about the Frank Millers work than history. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Without wanting to sound like a geek, you guys should read up about Sparta (if you haven't already). They were a fascinating people. They use to leave their children in the wilderness from the age of three. If they made it back to Sparta, they were accepted as a part of Sparta.

And kids today complain about getting too much homework...
Posted by: crablord

Re: 300 - 12/09/06 12:18 PM

Quote:

And kids today complain about getting too much homework..

you think being left in the woods to die is hard?? try doing a 10 minute english speech in 12 hours.
Posted by: Crash

Re: 300 - 12/09/06 12:42 PM

Finally a movie about Spartan Warriors! COOL!!!
Posted by: islandtime

Re: 300 - 12/14/06 05:48 AM

Quote:

http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/

Pretty awesome if I do say so.Check new trailer/making of
The fight scenes are done by some of Guru Dan Inosanto's people

islandtime

Re: 300 - 02/19/07 08:13 AM

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/300.html;_ylt=AqqV6lVPDLsG0HBs9GLQugxfVXcA

Exclusive clip and cast interview.

I'm going to see it on IMAX when it comes out. Yeah baby!!
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: 300 - 02/19/07 09:35 AM

I was familiar with the story line and was hoping the movie would do it justice and it appears that it will. I can hardly wait to see this. Talk about serious warriors.

Re: 300 - 02/22/07 10:53 PM

It comes to theaters march 9th in North America.

Re: 300 - 03/08/07 09:07 AM

4 months and 19 days later.....IT COMES OUT TOMORROW!!!!

Sadly, I won't be able to see it on IMAX, it sold out very quickly and the friend I'm going with can't go on Saturday. Maybe I'll go by myself next friday.

Anybody else going tomorrow?
Posted by: Cord

Re: 300 - 03/08/07 10:44 AM

This is on my priority list when it gets its UK release. We dont have many IMAX's in the country, but I will settle for a luxury screening at our local cineworld. Cant wait
Posted by: motobusmonkey

Re: 300 - 03/08/07 01:10 PM

I am hoping to see this tomorrow, I can't wait! The town I am going to see it in is trying out a new policy this weekend too, no teenagers in the theatre after 9:00 w/out adult supervision. Maybe I can start going to the movies again!
-Jeff
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: 300 - 03/09/07 08:17 PM

Just came back from watching it. I might try to review it and post it here, but I think its best to let the "new movie" feeling pass before writing it.

Re: 300 - 03/10/07 02:44 PM

I'm no good at writing movie reviews, but that was a great movie!! I'm very much thinking about going to see it on IMAX next Friday.

Sure, there were a few things that i didn't like about it, but it was a great movie. Cinematography was excellent. The movie was filmed at 50-150 frames per second so there were speed-up and slow-downs of the action that were awesome. Intense fight scenes; visual effects and lighting were spectacular. Every time King Leonidas spoke I had goosebumps, great character portrayal.

This movie doesn't attempt to be historically accurate, so if you're going to whine about that, I don't want to hear it. This is a must-see for everybody.

Re: 300 - 03/10/07 03:17 PM

Meh.. I tried writing a review and it was no good. So I'll just sorta rant. This movie injects you with tons of testosterone. After its over, you feel like going out and fighting some persians. I found the slow motion kind of annoying after a while, but gerard butler does a great job of stirring you up with his speeches.

I also enjoyed some of the clever dialogue. Not much in terms of character development and historical accuracy, but that isn't what you're supposed to be looking for when watching it anyway.

Very purty and fun to watch, and I'd love to check it out in IMAX.

The battle choreography was great, especially the scene with the phalanx. If I were to some up this film in one word, it'd just be "cool."

Re: 300 - 03/10/07 05:08 PM

Quote:

Not much in terms of character development and historical accuracy, but that isn't what you're supposed to be looking for when watching it anyway.

Its an important point to make that in terms of accuracy and success of adaptation, it can only be compared to its source material, being the fictional graphic novel by Frank Miller. I love the comic, so if it remains true to that, then i will be a very happy bunny

Re: 300 - 03/10/07 05:12 PM

Oops, yeah forgot about that.

Re: 300 - 03/11/07 09:49 PM

Quote:

I found the slow motion kind of annoying after a while

I actually enjoyed that part. Very different from most of the battle scenes I've seen before.

My two big critques of the movie:
  • I don't believe that Greek men would have that little amount of hair on their chests
  • Not enough killing! More bloodshed!!!
  • Posted by: Crash

Re: 300 - 03/11/07 10:18 PM

I thought it was great! I'll probably see it again while it's still in theaters. I agree about the speeches that the king gives, very cool.... did you notice every spartan man in the movie had a six pack? even the older men did! It wasn't corny though, it gave the spartan people character, very strong and very hard-working people. I loved it!

Re: 300 - 03/12/07 12:22 AM

Yeh, don't ruin it as I haven't seen it yet ... but shortly.

Re: 300 - 03/12/07 09:38 AM

Would this be a pertinent moment to mention that Manowar have a new album out called 'Gods of War' and its the best stuff they have done in years
    Posted by: harlan

Re: 300 - 03/12/07 09:45 AM

Hated it. Okay...'hate' is a strong word.

Didn't care for it at all. Lacked character development and believability (one dimensional), and technically relied on effects to replace solid scripting.

Would have liked a more well rounded story with more history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

Re: 300 - 03/12/07 11:15 AM

Ok, action movie, believable script and character development...optional, lol. MUST HAVE ACTION AND BLOODSHED! And this had plenty of both. I liked the movie alot. Will it win any oscars, outside of cinematography, probably not. Will it make you wish to be a Spartan, very possibly.

Scottie

Re: 300 - 03/12/07 11:16 AM

You just liked the titty scenes.

Re: 300 - 03/12/07 11:27 AM

Quote:

Ok, action movie, believable script and character development...optional, lol. MUST HAVE ACTION AND BLOODSHED! And this had plenty of both. I liked the movie alot. Will it win any oscars, outside of cinematography, probably not. Will it make you wish to be a Spartan, very possibly.

Scottie

Amen, Brotha!!!

Re: 300 - 03/12/07 01:02 PM

Quote:

Now be fair, violence and tittie scenes, when done well,have a poetry all of their own

Re: 300 - 03/12/07 05:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Now be fair, violence and tittie scenes, when done well,have a poetry all of their own

Are you sure we weren't fraternal twins seperated at birth.

Scottie

"FOR SPARTA!"

Re: 300 - 03/12/07 09:29 PM

Quote:

With all those sweaty pecs, the entire movie was one big titty scene.

Re: 300 - 03/13/07 06:18 AM

Quote:

[Are you sure we weren't fraternal twins seperated at birth.

Ah, i beleive we are conected by the fraternity of testosterone. Show me a guy who doesnt appreciate an ample bosom and a great left hook and i will show you a bare faced liar

Re: 300 - 03/13/07 11:31 AM

So true Cord, so true.

Scottie ... hmmm ... I think I see the resemblance to Cord ... NOT!
    Posted by: BuDoc

Re: 300 - 03/13/07 10:44 PM

I've seen it 5 times!

The last time I did that was in 1988. I was Junior in High School and Batman had just come out. They had a noon showing on opening day so we skipped school and saw it at noon, 3:00, 7:00, 9:30 and the midnight show! Couldn't get enough.

Saw 300 on Friday night, twice on Sat, Sunday, and Monday night. What can I say, I tested for purple, sprained my shoulder, and acquired 3-5 weeks of free time with no rolling. What else am I gonna do???

Back to the point. Incredible cinematography, lots of testosterone! And as someone else mentioned, every yime I hear Gerry Butler(Leonidas) give s speech, I want to run out and fight a million MF's

Haven't been moved by a movie like that since I was a kid!

Page
    Posted by: Taison

Re: 300 - 03/14/07 02:16 AM

Tonight, we dine in hell!!

C'mon Budoc. Charge em. What you standing here for? Charge.

-Taison out

Re: 300 - 03/14/07 08:19 AM

Thats so cool Budoc! i love it when a movie really gets me like that. I tend to obsess over good movies myself so the list of cinema repeaters is longer for me. I think the most intense one was when i was 12. Rambo hit the cinema, and i was lucky enough to get in underage. It blew my mind, and when it came out on video, i hired it every weekend for 8 weeks straight, watching it at least 7 times per rental.

Most cinema visits for me is 4. That is a 2 way tie between Fight Club and Sleepy Hollow.

I think i may break this record when Baywatch the Movie comes out though

Re: 300 - 03/14/07 10:05 AM

Now I cannot wait to see this movie because of all the rave reviews. The only movie I saw twice in the theaters was Aliens ... two different girls.

A movie that I wanted to see many times when I was a kid because it moved me was The Empire Strikes Back. Every time the commercial came on I wanted to see it again but sadly my parents were never going to allow that. Now there are only a select few movies that I'd watch repeatedly: Days of Thunder, Top Gun, The Last Samurai, The 13th Warrior, LOTR Trilogy, Mulan, The Hunt for Red October and Black Hawk Down. There may be a few others but this is all I can rattle off the top of my head. Perhaps 300 will be another I will be adding to my list.

Re: 300 - 03/14/07 07:10 PM

Just booked my ticket for 300: The IMAX Experience for Friday morning!!

Re: 300 - 03/16/07 05:44 PM

IMAX was AWESOME!!!!

Didn't look any different, but with 12,000 watts of sound and a screen that took up 90% of my lateral field of view (seriously), it was definitely worth the extra money!

Plus at 11:00 in the morning there were less than 30 people in the entire theatre. (of course I don't know why 3 of them had to sit RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!!!! )

Also, Spiderman 3 will be on IMAX as well.

Re: 300 - 03/19/07 01:27 PM

Went to the theater on Saturday for the 8:15 show and we could not find a parking spot. I have never seen the theater so packed in my life. They had two shows running at the same time only an hour difference and could not get into either. Had to drive home and felt jilted. Will try to see it this week, perhaps Wednesday night.
    Posted by: Shadowtitan

Re: 300 - 03/19/07 04:21 PM

Ah IMAX...
    Im looking forward to watching this, whenever i get a chance.
    Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: 300 - 03/19/07 05:03 PM

saw it last night. great action! loved the walls of bodies and blood spray!

but...

everything else about it was weak. plus I couldn't help seeing the political parallels between how the portrayal of the West(Sparta/good/honorable/beautiful/liberty) vs. East(Persia/bad/evil/ugly/oppression). almost seemed subliminally manipulative during the queens speech to the senate to send more troops.

anyone else notice the coincidences? see, thats why I sometimes don't enjoy a flick.

HEY! did I mention I loved the battle scenes?

Re: 300 - 03/19/07 05:10 PM

Ed, always looking for something aren't you? Thankfully you are not married to my wife ... other then that would be weird & I would have to kill you ... but she would say, "It is just a movie"

Re: 300 - 03/19/07 10:18 PM

I saw this movie again the other night with different friends

Re: 300 - 03/19/07 10:40 PM

thankfully so. I wouldn't want to be told that....or even killed for that matter. (matt: how about this icon? ... http://www.doggiewhispers.com/forum/images/smiles/jester.gif)
    Posted by: MattJ

Re: 300 - 03/20/07 07:37 AM

Linky no worky.

Re: 300 - 03/20/07 09:13 AM

so soddy
    http://www.doggiewhispers.com/forum/images/smiles/jester.gif

Re: 300 - 03/20/07 09:40 AM

Re: 300 - 03/20/07 10:03 AM

You know, Ed, I knew that if anybody brought up all that political crap it'd be you.

edit-not calling you crap, just the constant talk of 300 being a commentary on the middle east and going to war, etc. IT'S A [censored] COMIC BOOK, PEOPLE.

Re: 300 - 03/20/07 01:35 PM

who's constantly talking about it? I just gave my impression of the flick, ya poopy flinger.

so I guess I shouldn't mention my impression of the part that shows a guy pinned with arrows in the coincidental position of the crucifix?

it's honestly what I was thinking. The coincidences ruined it for me. other than that it was entertaining.

Re: 300 - 03/20/07 03:07 PM

Ed, the persians were what we call iranian now, so the Iraqi's would be greatly insulted that you bunched them together in your subconscious (they dont get on).

if us Brits can go and see Braveheart and The Patriot with open hearts, then I dont see how anything involving ancient history can stick in anyone's throat.

If it helps, the graphic novel it is a direct adaptation of was first published in 1999, so any subtext has been firmly added from the viewer, not the originator of the work.

Re: 300 - 03/20/07 03:08 PM

Am I the only one who found the movie...boring?

Re: 300 - 03/20/07 03:23 PM

Quote:

if us Brits can go and see Braveheart and The Patriot with open hearts, then I dont see how anything involving ancient history can stick in anyone's throat.

With that said, I'm sure you Brits were okay with "The Last of the Mohicans" where the Brits were the good guys and the French were the bad guys elicited the Indians to help do their bidding! Just buggin'

By the way, all great movies and looking forward to 300.

Re: 300 - 03/20/07 07:56 PM

kindof different. I'm not saying anything stuck in my throat, and I'm not saying the movie was politically motivated. I mean, I could just as easily made political parallels with Star Wars III. "You're either with me, or you are my enemy." etc etc. but SWIII didn't hit me that way.

For some reason, '300' did hit me that way...an invention and impression in my own mind.

anyway, who cares what I thought. This interview is interesting and cool:
    Interview

Re: 300 - 03/21/07 03:34 AM

My Judo teacher was Persian (I refuse to call Persian Iranians), and so far, the Persians I've met are really cool people. Although I haven't met Teheran Persians, I've met some really interesting people. The thing that shocked me was that some of them had green eyes. Really cool.

300 was more like a comic to me. I didn't see the "east" vs "west" that much, it was more like "Persians bad people, Spartans crazy people" = slug-fest of the century.

-Taison out

Re: 300 - 03/21/07 07:57 AM

Quote:

who's constantly talking about it? I just gave my impression of the flick,

Nothing on here, but I've heard people talking about it and read a bunch of articles, even from movie critics.

Quote:

ya poopy flinger.

I can honestly say that I have never been called that before. I might be insulted if I wasn't laughing so hard.

Re: 300 - 03/21/07 11:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

ya poopy flinger.

I can honestly say that I have never been called that before. I might be insulted if I wasn't laughing so hard.

Ha ha ... I thought it said poopy "finger". Now that would be funny.

Anyways, I plan on trying again to go see this tonight. Man I can't wait.

Re: 300 - 03/22/07 01:48 PM

Seen it last night and liked it. I wanted more from the ending. It seemed we were in some great battle scenes and then then skip through too much to get to a point where they are surrounded. Sure didn't look like 300 guys under those shields ... even with their losses earlier. Still liked it and was impressed with their physiques. Feel good about how I look but wow, what I couldn't do if I had their trainer and dietitian.

Re: 300 - 03/22/07 06:02 PM

Funny, the main character Gerard Butler as King Leonidas, just last Friday I watched a horrible movie I recorded on my PVR called Beowulf & Grendel that was released in 2005. Gerard Butler was also in this movie as Beowulf. And low and behold he was in Timeline, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life and Reign of Fire. I always enjoy this that when somebody hits it big you find out that you've seen them many times before.

And of course good choices for these characters; Vincent Regan from the movie Troy and David Wenham from the last two LOTR movies.
    Posted by: Steel91

Re: 300 - 03/25/07 08:00 PM

I loved the movie, and they followed history pretty well too (besides the monsters) It'd be nice if they could work on a sequal to fill in the one year between the battle of Thermopylae (300) and finish out the battle where they defeat the Persians with 10,000 Spartans and their allies when they were still out numbered 3 to 1. One of my favorite parts was when Leonidas said "Theres no reason we can't be civil about it" *guy beside him stabs a dying Persian with a spear immediatly after he said that* I laughed my ass off in the theater, no body else seemed to catch on.
    Posted by: jc4199

Re: 300 - 03/25/07 11:10 PM

It was a great movie. I enjoyed it a lot had to keep my wife awake though. Then we got to see Bridge to Terabithia and that was great as well.
    just getting out to see a movie was great first time we have gotten to go out in about 8 months.
    Posted by: Strider_Hanzo

Re: 300 - 03/26/07 01:32 AM

i was laughing at the part where the guy got stabbed too! Also did anyone find it kinda random, funny, and awesome that one the 'immortals'(guys with the masks and double swords) did a jumping double leg kick to a spartan in the beginning of the fight??

Re: 300 - 03/26/07 02:02 PM

Quote:

they followed history pretty well too (besides the monsters)

can't fool you, can they. no sir-ree. you probably already knew that monsters were extinct by the end of the 3rd age and therfore could not have been around during the time of the Spartans.

j/k......they never went extinct, they are just hiding under your bed waiting for the perfect moment to launch an offensive.

Re: 300 - 03/28/07 03:45 AM

Monster??

There was the rhino, the elephants and horses. I didn't see any monsters.

If you're talking about that fat ogre thing, he's just a big fat guy who got his arms stripped of flesh, and his bones chisseled into a blade. THAT just GOT TO HURT!

And then there's the big Persian guy that almost killed Leonidas, but he was just big. Nothing special.

-Taison out