Jet Li Update

Posted by: Ayub

Jet Li Update - 10/15/06 12:06 AM

This is taken from 'That's Beijing' magazine. A Beijing publication for the foreign community in Beijing.

For now Li is concentrating his efforts on charity work. In January, the Red Cross society of China appointed him a 'philanthropic ambassador', recognising his efforts to raise awareness of mental health issues among young people. He has also established his own charity, the ONE Foundation for victims of natural disasters. Li says,

''My character in Fearless is close to my experiences in real life. China's economy has been growing fast and peoples' lives are all also much better than in the past. Yet, despite this, a quarter of a million people commited suicide in 2003. Fearless was simply a step towards encouraging young people to see clearly though the illusion of life, to see what is truly important to oneself.''

Li's new found altruism has not interrupted his acting career. His next film, Rogue, features Li as an assassin who has ignited a bloody crime war between rival Asian mobs. Jason Stratham (Transporter) plays an FBI agent (cue bad American accent) determined to bring down Li after his partner is murdered. Filmed in Vancouver, Rogue is currently in post production. Li Claims,

''I have retired from traditional martial arts movies, I will still make action movies though.''

Li is also working on a modern day interpretation of the Chinese literary classic Journey to the West. The collaboration is currently in developmental stages, with Li playing the monk Sun Wukong, and both stars sharing the title of executive producer.

With the pending Jackie Chan collaboration, Li's retirement from martial arts movies fails to be seen.

''I've been making movies for 26 years, but after all this time, my desire to learn and do the best I can never wavers. Every new film is a new challenge and I try the best I can to make the movies my fans want to see.''
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Jet Li Update - 10/15/06 12:15 AM

Thanks for that update, on Jet Li, lol! Don't know what I'd do without you gardians of the watch!

Stay on top of it man and get back to us with any breaking news.

-John
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Jet Li Update - 10/15/06 12:17 AM

I thought Fearless was the last? Well, cool. Although i dont think he will ever do one as good as fist of legend, Id love to see a collabo between him and jackie.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Jet Li Update - 10/15/06 12:21 AM

Facetious

-John

Re: Jet Li Update - 10/15/06 12:26 AM

Oh Lord he broke out the dictionary!!! Your humor was not lost on me John. I however, like the cheesy MA films. Not necessarily all the wire work and walking on water stuff but some of it is ok.

Re: Jet Li Update - 10/15/06 12:34 AM

Fist of Legend was definately one of his best films!

Yes him and Jackie, the only situation it could have been better is if it was done 10-15 years ago.

Re: Jet Li Update - 10/15/06 12:39 AM

Agreed. Jackie from fearless hyena and Jet from F.O.L. That would have been a sight to see.
Posted by: SouthernTiger

Re: Jet Li Update - 10/29/06 12:01 PM

Thanks for the update! My wife & I are definitely Jet Li fans... not to the extreme of being in a fan club, or such. We just enjoy watching his movies. Glad to know he will still be involved with action movies. It will be good to see him in action movies w/o the wire type unrealistic flying around type fighting.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: Jet Li Update - 12/09/06 01:06 PM

Sounds good I love Jet li's movies. Watch this space people!!!
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Jet Li Update - 12/25/06 11:08 PM

got a copy of 'Fearless' for Xmas and we watched it tonight....good flick. anyone know if the 'western boxer' vs. Wushu stylist matches during the turn of the century has any basis in truth?
Posted by: harlan

Re: Jet Li Update - 12/25/06 11:27 PM

Bought 'Fearless' for Xmas day as well. When I saw the West vs. East match...it rang a bell somewhere. Wasn't there an article in Classical Fighting arts that referenced this?

Re: Jet Li Update - 12/25/06 11:43 PM

They did not, apparantly there were Russian wrestlers and western boxers claiming to be the best fighters in the world and would take anyones challenge. Huo Yuanjia took up their challenges, but they never showed, so no actual fights took place. However, in this way, he was a hero to the people.
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: Jet Li Update - 01/04/07 05:02 AM

Awww....you mean no real life drama?...