Ken 'Conan' Shamrock?

Posted by: Cord

Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/13/06 12:51 AM

so there i am yesterday watching 'UFC 1' on DVD, and for once i actually dont skip the painful commentaries and post fight interviews (truly dreadfull presentation), and I catch something i have never noticed before- When interviewed, Ken Shamrock is told that John Milius is in the audience, and was interested in working with him on a film project. Ken said he was just a fighter and not interested.

Fast forward 14 years or so. Ken is still in awesome shape, no matter what the outcome of 'Shamrock/Ortiz 3' I think retirement has to be on the cards imminently, and his time in the WWE shows that he has developed a taste for the theatrical.

I dont know about you guys, but if you read the original Conan books, R.E. Howards description of Conan is far closer to Shamrock than Arnie, and Arnie is not showing much interest in doing more movies these days (true lies 2 is the only possibility I know of), and the much requested Older Arnie as 'King Conan' is not likely to happen.

what about a lavish, post Braveheart/LOTR production of Conan starring Ken?

I thought it would be pretty cool.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/13/06 02:40 AM

With Tarantino directing! I want to see a bloody mess..
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/13/06 06:36 AM

Sounds like a good idea but do you think Ken will be up for that?

I think Shamrock would make a great aging Wolverine. Hopefully one a lot more agressive than the pansy in X3.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/13/06 02:49 PM

You may be on to something. Conan had seen many battles so would carry many battle scars. Ken's nose looks like he has seen one to many battles ... though he needs to be taller ... but you can always find shorter actors.

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/13/06 04:22 PM

Quote:

I think Shamrock would make a great aging Wolverine. Hopefully one a lot more agressive than the pansy in X3.

There is going to be a 'darker' stand alone wolverine movie, and it will still be Hugh Jackman. I actually like his young Clint Eastwood impression for wolverine, and blame the script writers/director for punking the integrity of the character to ensure a child friendly rating.
wolverine was turned into a punchbag for fashion models in 1 and 2. No way Weapon X would get owned by Mystique the way he was, and as for Lady Death Strike- that was just insulting.

They better let Him wet his claws in the spin off
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/13/06 07:50 PM

Quote:

wolverine was turned into a punchbag for fashion models in 1 and 2

WTF? Did we watch the same flick in X2? Wolverine had a great scene in the mansion where he displayed his "berzerker rage" by taking out many soldiers - permanently. I thought that scene was very true to how his character was portrayed in the X-Men comic series. You can't expect him to be that way in every scene, any more than he was in the comic books.

I agree that he would have shredded Mystique instantly, no matter what her MA skill level. But Death Strike was a female version of himself, and I thought that scene was very good, too.

*tightens dentures whilst awaiting Cord's and Ayub's wrath*

On topic -

Shamrock as Conan? Interesting....I suppose his acting couldn't be any worse than what Arnold's was, when he did it.

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/14/06 07:36 AM

yeah they let him have some fun in the mansion scene, just like he started promisingly in Number 1 with the cage fight, but its the whole 'I am a cross bloke made to look clumsy and limited in my fighting ability by wire-fu bimbo's' thing that annoys me. He was not given the animalistic agility and reflexes that the comic imbued him with. lots of people love those movies so I have come to accept my minority view on the subject, but I still think the Film Woverine had been 'fixed' by a vet in comparison to the comic original.

I will post one of RE Howards description of Conan soon- see what you think, but i think its very similar to Shamrock.

and as for Arnies acting- how dare you Sir! He is the finest Austrian Bodybuilder to ever grace our screens

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/14/06 12:59 PM

Quote:

and as for Arnies acting- how dare you Sir! He is the finest Austrian Bodybuilder to ever grace our screens

Here here ... love the guy and his movies. He wasn't given anything but thoughs earlier parts due to his size and inability to talk proper English but as he got older he really grew as an actor. True Lies is awesome. Kindergarten Cop is hillarious. The Running Man was also a good movie and how about the Terminator series. Twins was comical, Total Recall was a cool idea, End Of Days and the 6th Day were other interesting ideas, plus who can forget his cameo in The Rundown. I'm looking forward to the release of "Crood Awakening" in 2008 which fits him perfectly.

Quote:

Plot Outline: Set in the prehistoric era, a man's position as Leader of the Hunt is threatened by the arrival of a prehistoric genius who comes up with revolutionary new inventions ... like fire.

Arnold is A.O.K. in my books.
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/14/06 04:39 PM

But it wasnt just his lack of agression and 'kick ass' factor, it was also the fact that he kept on talking about his feelings and love for Gene.

Arnie is the man, to a certain extent. Its understandable about his lack of English in the early days giving him those sorts of roles, it was all about the physique then. After a while though he played some good roles, (though a little skimpy on the speech too) at the time of Terminator he was the action man! Action these days is hardly as good. Watching those films later on life (after my puberty) really hit the spot, testosterone wise , as did Rambo.

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/14/06 06:58 PM

Quote By Cord -

Quote:

He is the finest Austrian Bodybuilder to ever grace our screens

LMAO

Quote by Dereck -

Quote:

The Running Man was also a good movie

Woof. Not in comparison to the book which it sprang from. The movie was a pale imitation.

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/15/06 12:36 AM

Quote:

Quote by Dereck -

Quote:

The Running Man was also a good movie

Woof. Not in comparison to the book which it sprang from. The movie was a pale imitation.

It was a book???? Thankfully I never read it as Richard Dawson was the perfect person to play the part of the game show hose ... "only in re-runs baby".

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/15/06 11:22 AM

It was a short story by Stephen King, under the name 'Richard Bachman'. Very dark. in the book the 'game' is played with the players running all across america, and has none of the cartoonish elements of the film.

I like both versions, especially BuzzSaw- he was just the coolest
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/15/06 12:01 PM

I do not believe there is a person out here today that could actually bring Robert Howard's Conan to life and do it justice. Arnold's size and personality did make me feel at times like he was Conan but the second movie grossly disappointed me.

Conan's physical attributes alone would be hard to match (Shamrock is large but by no comparision to the detailed description of Conan, with the exception of his early youth - 16-20).

Conan becomes a huge man with the speed, agility, and stamina of an olympic level athlete. His strength is not superhuman but would be difficult to match by some of the best power lifters.

Sorry guys, you are talking to a big fan who has read the majority of the good Conan books (Of course all of Howards, all of Robert Jordans, and all of L Sprague De Campes as well) (sp). I have even read Howard's "Son of the White Wolf" about a Arab prince swashbuckler type. Decent story and the lead character is a much smaller version of Conan's character. Only about 5'9" and about 180 lbs. Still a great read though.

Scottie
Posted by: harlan

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/15/06 12:08 PM

I didn't read this thread until now...cool! Am a huge SF and Sword/Sorc. fan from the '60's...and Conan was 'the man'. I thought Arnold was great...if a little too hairless/waxed and on the young side (at the time) for Conan. I think Arnold would still be great, paunch and all, to play the older, aged King Conan.

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/15/06 12:31 PM

Scottie, also spent my youth reading all of the Conan's. Also like Harlan was into the Fantasy books and still to this day have quite a collection.

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/15/06 01:07 PM

WILL YOU HIPPIES GET TO WORK ALREADY!!!!!

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/15/06 01:30 PM

Hippy. Was never a hippy but did have some nice golden locks that I had to my shoulders that I feathered back on the sides but hippy, never!!!! This was just the way we wore our hair in the 80's. In the 70's I was a preteen so hippies were just freaks ... ... though in the 80's I sure could have used some of that free love.

And if we are suppose to get back to work ... what are you doing?????

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/15/06 01:44 PM

Quote by snippy, asks-too-many-damn-questions, can't-mind-his-own-damn-business, former hippie Dereck -

Quote:

And if we are suppose to get back to work ... what are you doing?????

Uh....umm......JUST DON'T YOU MIND AND....UH......STAY ON TOPIC, TROUBLEMAKER!

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/15/06 11:28 PM

Quote:

Conan's physical attributes alone would be hard to match (Shamrock is large but by no comparision to the detailed description of Conan, with the exception of his early youth - 16-20).

But you have to look at what Howard had as inspiration for his mental image of 'mighty thews' and 'corded muscles'- it was the 1920's and the Pro Bodybuilding physiques of the late 50's up to today's behemouths were beyong the realms of imagination.
Howard would have had people of Eugene Sandow's proportions as the epitome of hurculean physical presence, and as such, the exaggerated physique in his 1920's mind, would scale well to someone of Shamrock's development. To put things in perspective of how far physique development has come, remember that Sean Connery represented Scotland in the MR Universe competition back in 1955 with a physique that wouldnt even get a glance in your local gym now. Its all a matter of scale and perception based on experience.
Posted by: crablord

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/16/06 01:27 AM

sean connery was in mr universe??? i coulda been mr universe in the 50's!!!!! lol
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/18/06 05:24 PM

Once again, well put my herculean, too buff to argue with friend. In perspective, I suppose Shamrock would physically meet the expectations but I would not make him my first choice. Frank, although smaller, much more resembles Conan feature wise and from what I have seen, temperment wise as well.

Scottie

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 08/19/06 05:44 AM

i wish I was too buff to argue with, but am not as yet

I never even thought of Frank! I think because i havent seen him for ages and always think of him as a bit baby faced. These days i guess he must look older so with a few months in the gym would be spot on- Good call
Posted by: migo

Re: Ken 'Conan' Shamrock? - 09/04/06 05:39 PM

How about Alexander Karelin?