Fight Science on Nat Geo

Posted by: dmsdc

Fight Science on Nat Geo - 07/24/06 06:41 PM

Fight Science

A friend of mine shot this film. Watch for it on Nat Geo soon.

FIGHT SCIENCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owoY2_1hs38

According to Nat Geo's schedule:
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/ET/popup/200608202100.html

It will premiere Aug 20th at 9pm. But as always...check your local listings.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Fight Science on Nat Geo - 07/24/06 07:05 PM

Alot of this reminds of the some XMA documentary I saw some time ago...except this looks interesting to me. I love watching stuff about the capabilities of the human body. I'll be watching it.
Posted by: baby_bwoy

Re: Fight Science on Nat Geo - 07/24/06 07:37 PM

i cant wait to see that man..are there gonna b full episodes put on the net, i dont think i hav national geog anymore..but this is somethign i really wana see..bless
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Fight Science on Nat Geo - 07/24/06 09:18 PM

I am looking forward to it, hopefully they will keep it real and not go all Final-Fu on us. Check this thread for more info:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15867324/an/0/page/1#15867324
Posted by: aoishi

Re: Fight Science on Nat Geo - 07/24/06 10:34 PM

Matt,

Will you give a heads up to us all when it comes up?

I'd dearly appreciate it (can't remember anything these days! )
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Fight Science on Nat Geo - 07/24/06 10:46 PM

yea I'm pretty excited about the show, hopefully it wont be anything like that XMA Discovery did a while back. This one seems ok because in that trailer they actually read out data that they got, Discovery didnt. High expectations
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Fight Science on Nat Geo - 07/25/06 10:22 AM

This seems much better than that XMA documentary. This looks really amazing, and useful too, havent you ever wondered what damage you could cause with a full power shot? Yea you hit a bag, but you dont really know what that would do to a person?

It has to said:

Crash test dummies, dont hit back
Posted by: steelwater

Re: Fight Science on Nat Geo - 08/03/06 01:21 PM

The XMA documentary was good for what it was.. a documentary on XMA. Some of the cutscenes describing the body mechanics behind some basic techniques were cool, but the majority was an insight on XMA forms and etc.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: Fight Science on Nat Geo - 08/03/06 02:43 PM

The link doesnt seem to work now sadly. My fault for answering late lol.
Has anyone got any available clips of it so I can get a look at it.
Posted by: DDeacon

Re: Fight Science on Nat Geo - 08/16/06 08:40 AM

This show is awesome...you can see the trailer at www.ngcfightscience.com
They also have podcasts interviewing the fighters, scientists and directors of the film. Pretty cool stuff. Can't wait to see it on Sunday!
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Fight Science on Nat Geo - 08/16/06 10:44 AM

Looks very cool. Could be good class material, as well.
Posted by: spoonhammer

Re: Fight Science on Nat Geo - 08/21/06 08:53 PM

This was actually a pretty good show, if a little goofy in places. Like near the begining when the narrator was saying "One hit knockout; Fact or Fiction?". I was like "Uh...is this a trick question?". And the fact that they had just one guy (a Wushu world champ) representing Kung Fu, despite there being hundreds (thousands?) of styles. But the rest was kinda tight.

Some highlights:
When they measured the force applied to someone's neck when Rickson Gracie applied a crucifix.

The force of a Muay Thai clinch knee was measured as equal to a 35mph car crash.

The ninja death punch...sounds hokey, but they showed how a certain technique actually could stop someone's heart. I say "could".

The reaction speed of the Tae Kwon Do guy being measured as 8 times faster than a snake.

Dean Lister. He didn't do anything, but they showed his face.

And one guy they showed shoulder checking a wall of bricks. The force of the impact was measured at 4500+ pounds! (psi? I think). That's linebacker material right there.

All in all, really good for showing the physics behind certain techniques. Kind of half assed on the conclusions, though.

Heh, read that the Ninja was an actor. I guess "real" ninjas wouldn't show their faces on camera, yah?
Posted by: superdvd9

New Movies - 09/24/06 10:56 AM

Advertising is not allowed on the forums. Please contact the site owner if you wish to advertise.