The Contender

Posted by: Tezza

The Contender - 07/17/06 12:11 PM

Can anyone remember a programme called The Contender (on ITV for all you English people). Well its back!!!
I believe that season 2 starts Monday the 24th of July.
Check it out:

http://contender.itv.com/
Posted by: Ayub

Re: The Contender - 07/17/06 01:40 PM

Yea, I heard about this today! I am really excited about it. I thoroughly enjoyed every second of the first series. I see Sly is not involved in this one which is a shame. Sugar Ray Leonard still in though. I cant wait to get addicted to this one too. Its bound to have the same amount of drama and heart as the last series.

Is it still based in the middle weight division, I couldnt tell from the link.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: The Contender - 07/17/06 04:31 PM

Im not totally sure I will have a look. If anyone else has information please post it.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: The Contender - 07/17/06 05:55 PM

I caught the Contender when it was 1/2 way through its season but enjoyed it. I used to watch boxing all of the time but not so much anymore with the mainstream of MMA. I still enjoy it but the winner(s) of the 1st season I have yet to see fight or make a name for themselve(s). What say you?

I will watch this as well and if I cannot I will set my HDPVR to record it so I can watch it when I have time. I will be sad to not see Sly as I really enjoyed this guy. I hope that they can carry this through still and be successful.
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: The Contender - 07/19/06 09:44 AM

Yea I saw the commercial..the 1st season was really good but I didnt identify with the 2nd season's personalities too much. But still I would just watch the fights. Great Show

the only thing I that I have against the show is that the fights are too dramatized with those slow motion Rocky moments with the wrippling cheeks and spit flying off into the air. Though it does make the fight seem really cool, I would rather they just show the fight as it is.

But either way I'm excited to see it again.

Re: The Contender - 07/19/06 01:19 PM

Quote:

the only thing I that I have against the show is that the fights are too dramatized with those slow motion Rocky moments with the wrippling cheeks and spit flying off into the air. Though it does make the fight seem really cool, I would rather they just show the fight as it is.

Agreed ... I thought that was totally lame ... just show the fight and forget the dramatics.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: The Contender - 07/19/06 01:37 PM

Quote:

Is it still based in the middle weight division, I couldnt tell from the link.

It's welterweights this time. They have done away with all those silly Ultimate fighter type challenges too, you know, pulling a log up a hill etc...
Posted by: Cord

Re: The Contender - 07/19/06 06:30 PM

Sly is involved according to the ads they are running on ITV 4. I think he will keep his involvement to maintain a high profile in the run up to Rocky 6 in december. It was the contenders popularity that finaly got the project off the ground after all.
I loved the first season, and enjoyed the human aspect of the show. I think it more involving when you can root for the fighters. In TUF , they are all such a$$holes that the only shame is they dont all lose and get elimanated.

Roll on Monday!!

Re: The Contender - 07/20/06 01:13 AM

In Canada the Contender Season 2 started yesterday and I missed the episode as I figured it started Monday like I read on here. "DOH!" Setting the HDPVR so I don't miss anymore episodes. Now I can ruin it all for you as I'll be episodes ahead ... muhahaha. Na ... I wouldn't do that.

Re: The Contender - 07/20/06 06:21 AM

Seriously though, US and Canada residents, there is no need for 'informative' posts about The Contender as its being aired slightly later here in the UK.

Punishment for spoilers = a string of abusive pms. Dont make me do it !!
Posted by: Cord

Re: The Contender - 07/25/06 10:28 AM

Saw the first one last night. More of the same (but I stand corrected, Sly is not a permanent fixture in this one). They are showing the fights a little more clearly this time from what I could see, and I was glad that the guy who won did so.
Great to have it back

Re: The Contender - 07/31/06 01:05 AM

On Friday I watched Episode 2 that I had taped. I hate that they don't let us see the whole fight to make our own decision of what happened. You don't get a sense and showing only parts of the fight that they believe are the best parts just sucks. Slow motion cameras. Panning the audience. Inserting music like it is some big performance ... this drives me nuts.

It just isn't the same without Sly. I like that there are no challenges though. We shall see how things go.

Re: The Contender - 07/31/06 07:39 AM

I dont like the fact that there arent any challenges. All they have done to replace that is showing them act all emotional about how big a break this is for them and their families. Thats a large part of each episode now. Its good to hear a little before the fight to see the motivation but too much is just boring.

The panning and orchestra with the fight scenes is understandably to make it more interesting for those who are not really interested in watching boxing. That audience is probably larger than the ours who would like the see the full uninterrupted fight.
Posted by: Eveal

Re: The Contender - 08/22/06 10:56 PM

OMG! Steve Forbes put on a boxing clinic! That guy is the real deal right there. Anyone else catch the show tonight?

Brandon

Re: The Contender - 08/23/06 11:56 AM

Sure did. I think the other guy put up a valent effort but yes, Steve Forbes was the better of the two boxers. Steve used a whole arsenal of punches but the other guy (Freddie?) should have used at least one uppercut and I think he would have done far better.

Loved that it was a double header. Also glad this year they pulled the prior stunts.