Your favorite fight scenes!

Posted by: spoonhammer

Your favorite fight scenes! - 05/02/06 10:22 PM

Hey folks, just lookin to kill some time and compare notes with other MA film fans...We all have our favorite movies, but what are your favorite fight scenes and why? Maybe a brief description, perhaps your own play-by-play!

I'll start off with a few from the top of me noggin...

Wong Fei-Hung vs. Prince Barac - Heroes Among Heroes, aka Fist of the Red Dragon

I hadn't seen the dude to plays Wong Fei-Hung in this flick prior, but holy crap! The fight near the end with that prince fella starts at insane and escalates from there! There's some wire work and the undercranking goes batty at one point, but the Kung Fu is golden, highlighted by a gnarly claw strike that was quiickly dodged and countered before both fighters go flying up to a scaffold in a non-stop barrage of attacks! This was a random rental, but as soon as I saw it, I rewound this scene (and the next one) repeatedly!

So Chan vs. Prince Barac - Heroes Among Heroes, aka Fist of the Red Dragon

Ah, Donnie Yen, my favorite screen fighter, even if he is a bit over hammy. This scene follows immediately after the Wong Fei-Hung fight, which makes the bad guy out to be a total bada$$ since he fought Wong Fei-Hung and held his own, then proceeded to hand Donnie Yen a plateful of his own butt, with trimmings. But never fear! So Chan suddenly remembers some advice that some drunk dude told him about being drunk and did I mention I was drunk when I watched this, so it made perfect sense at the time? Whatever, Donnie Yen busts out the phattest Drunken Boxing I've seen since Drunken Master 2. Color me silly, but I actually like this scene better than anything in DM2 just because its not preformed with that tongue in cheek, though very slick, style of Jackie Chan. Also, I want the hat Donnie was wearing in this scene....

Tony Jaa vs. TKD Gang Leader , Tom Yum Goong

At least I think it was TKD. After battling his way up several stories of spiral staircase (in one really long un-cut shot, wow) Mr. Jaa scopes some rich fatties eating endangered animals (cuz God knows if I win the lottery, I'm frying up some panda) and becomes enraged at the thought that his buddies, Bo-Bo and Khan might end up as someone's poop. Enter gang leader. Beatings abound in a surprising scene. By surprising, I mean its not exactly Tony Jaa kudgeling baddies like a Shins of Steel workout video, there's actually a fight! TKD dude actually displays some talent, with some showy flippin and gnarly kickin, even a counter or two!. Too bad he had no hand skills, cuz he might have lasted a few more minutes before getting domed like an extra in a Mel Gibson flick.

Van Damme vs. Crazy Dude w/ Sword, Wake of Death

Holy crap, a GOOD Van Damme movie! I love this scene cuz not only does the Hard Target actually act, he acts very well! Just sittin on the couch, minding his own business, mourning his dead wife then BAM! Dude with a sword comes flying through the living room window, tryin to cut Lionheart's head off! I don't even know how this scene ended, I was laughing so hard! Seriously, the word 'abrupt' should have a clip of that scene attached to it.

Jeff Speakman vs. Anybody, The Perfect Weapon

A man throws a fast roundhouse kick to your face, what do you do? I'll tell ya what Jeff did, he punched the dude's foot out of the air! Speed, much? Yah! Jeff Speakman immortalizes American Kempo Karate in practically every scene in this movie, thanks in part to his very real skill, but mostly to the credit of the late great Ed Parker who choreographed the fights in this film right before he died. A lot of people point out the gym fight scene as the big stand out, and rightly so, but I prefer the scene right after he finds his friend dead. Four punks surround Mr. Speakman with bad intent and ole' Jeffy proceeds to dismantle them with extreme efficiency. Four knockouts in 2 seconds? Not bad.

Tony Jaa vs. Everybody, Ong Bak

Knees, elbows, leg kicks, and elbows! Lots and lots of elbows! This flick does for Thai martial arts what Rocky did for boxing! With all sorts of domes actually getting tagged, guess who wins...Jaa, that's who...Ignoring some of the more flashy gymnastics stuff (though still very impressive) concentrate on the sheer brutality of getting shin kicked in the thigh about 12 times in a few seconds, while wearing a disco fro wig....Ouch.

Crap, I ran out of time! I'll be updating tomorrow with some Iron Monkey! To the dome, foo!
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Your favorite fight scenes! - 05/03/06 05:44 AM

Quote:

Tony Jaa vs. Everybody, Ong Bak

Knees, elbows, leg kicks, and elbows! Lots and lots of elbows! This flick does for Thai martial arts what Rocky did for boxing! With all sorts of domes actually getting tagged, guess who wins...Jaa, that's who...Ignoring some of the more flashy gymnastics stuff (though still very impressive) concentrate on the sheer brutality of getting shin kicked in the thigh about 12 times in a few seconds, while wearing a disco fro wig....Ouch.

I wasnt too fond of that... it just seemed so fake that about hundred people trickled over to him in ones, pairs or threes and he broke all of their limbs.... and it lasted a good few minutes too. It was good but maybe a bit too much. I love Tom Yum Goong but it did seem a bit Hollywoody at times like when people of varying martial art styles come to fight him in turns in flooded/on fire temple...

Haitian (I think) vs Hapkido Stylist

The second fight in, what was shot of 'Game Of Death' with Hapkido master Ing-Sik Hwang was fantastic! You could really see Bruce's speed in the scene, his lead hook kicks especially. The throws he used were also quite impressive, for film they looked great. Especially the counter to Ing-Sik's counter where Bruce tied up his legs and then knocked him in the crotch (you can actually do this with Marshall Law in Tekken, also in the Tuttle Bruce Lee book you can Bruce's own illustrations explaining the whole movement). I think the whole fight was well choreographed and both of them really showed a lot of skill, both of their moves were great. The other two fights in this were also amazing.

I dont know why people dont make realistic films like Bruce did then, with nothing out of the ordinary, with real martial arts legends, obviously a winning formula.

This film would have been fantastic, Six big fights to the same quality as those that we have, would have been the best martial films ever, without doubt. This one is often in my DVD player as a training starter uper.
Posted by: Raverunner

Re: Your favorite fight scenes! - 05/03/06 10:18 AM

Nathan Jones vs Some greek army - Troy

Though I didnt like the movie, I liked the one scene with Nathan rusing around with that massive fuckin hammer smashing heads, crushing bones, and just kicking everyones ass. Very brutal. Good showcase of pure brutality.

Liu Kang vs Reptile = Mortal Kombat 1
I dont care if you people hate this movie, this fight was badass. Now remember kids, its mortal kombat, not meant to be realistic, and with that knowledge, they made one awesome fight. Packed with energy that woke you up from a dead sleep, neat-o-rific flipkicks to the head, and Reptile actually busting out moves like that of a reptile. Wowie!

To me, if the fight offers something new, and not just punch-kick-ko, I like it, unless its waaaaaaay to cheesy such as one of the fight scenes from the super popular summer blockbuster, Kunoichi, with the moves like nipple shock wave, and this move where another girl absorbs fireballs shot at her from her special girly place, and pukes it back out at the badguy. Yay for fetishes in movies!
Posted by: spoonhammer

Re: Your favorite fight scenes! - 05/03/06 09:38 PM

Sweet Holy Hell! Just watched Sha Po Lang last night, and my first impression is...umm, watch it...

Wu Jing vs. Some Hapless Boob, Sha Po Lang

So, Hapless Boob is hanging out in some punk kid gathering, waiting to a buy a gun to frame a gang boss, when punk kids suddenly run off and lock SHB in. Enter knife-wielding maniac, Wu Jing. What follows next is a very brutal execution. Not content to simply stab his victim like any decent human being would, Crazy-Haired Knife Guy proceeds to:
1.) Fling his knife into SHB's bicep from 20 yards away, then...
2.) While SHB is staring dumbfounded at his renovated arm, CHKG runs, jumps over a soccer goal post then kicks him in the face...Then CHKG...
3.) Palm strikes SHB in the chin, then dislodges his knife so he can then...
4.) Turn right around and stab SHB in the shoulder, immediately following up with...
5.) A flying spinning back kick to SHB's chest, right before he...
6.) Dislodges knife again and continues with slashing SHB in his chest, arms, legs, stab to the thigh, chest, chest again, I think the face, the chest, and finally, the chest...
Despite getting thoroughly ruined, SHB continues living for another 5 minutes....

Not really much of a fight, I know, but a sight to behold nonetheless...

Donnie Yen vs. Wu Jing, Sha Po Lang

This one's going in my Top 10! Two words, I think, very aptly describe this fight, and those words are "Holy Crap!".

Donnie Yen enters an alleyway for a face off of epic proportions against the afore mentioned Crazy-Haired Knife Guy, played by Wu Jing. I can't begin to describe the insanity that ensues in this fight, but the highlight, for me, was knowing that the 2nd half of this scene was unchoreographed...The dudes just "went at it"! And it looked fantastic! My only complaint, after multiple viewings, is that the whole thing is very linear, very much like a fencing match. I would have liked to have seen a little more dynamic use of the limited space around them. If you haven't seen it, I humbly submit that you should do so at your earliest convenience, scant chance of being disappointed....

Some good ones so far, some Troy & Mortal Kombat, I'll be putting my own post from those flicks at some point, I'm sure. Loved the Game of Death post! Did anyone see that special on, I think it was either Bravo or AMC, maybe the History Channel, where they restored the original footage from Game of Death? That was freakin bliss!

I'm outta time again, but I'll be back with more, hopefully see some more good ones from yallz!
Posted by: Cord

Re: Your favorite fight scenes! - 05/04/06 03:14 AM

Jackie Chan vs Benny Urquidez. 'Wheels on meals'

Lee vs Bob Wall. Enter the Dragon

Nicolas Cage vs Hitman. Beginning of Wild at Heart

Gary Oldman vs Bar patron. State of Grace.

Van Damme vs group of muggers. Hard Target.

Tony Jaa vs Fuzzy headed Kung Fu fella. Ong Bak

Neo vs Morpheus. The Matrix (you are sooo lying if you didnt think this was cool the first time you saw it )

Indy with gun vs Swordsman. Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The Rock vs NFL team. Opening of 'The Rundown'

Mark Dacascos vs ?. Pick any scene from 'Drive' and it will be one of my favourites.

Sebei vs defiant samurai. End fight in Twilight Samurai. Genius.

King Arthur vs The Black Knight. Monty Python: Holy Grail.

Mickey Rourke vs gas station robbers. Harley Davidson & the Marlboro Man

Matt Dillon vs gang leader. Rumble Fish.

The Bride vs Crazy 88. Kill Bill.

Jackie Chan vs many. 'singing in the Rain' umbrella fight: Shanghai Knights. Shopping mall climax: Police Story. Evil monks: Armour of God.

Tommy Lee Jones vs Del Toro. Knife Fight finale: The Hunted.

Samurai Master vs Ninja assassins: The train massacre: The Hunted (Christopher Lambert movie)

Man, I could go on till this place needed a bigger server
Posted by: SpeedyGonzales

Re: Your favorite fight scenes! - 05/15/06 07:31 AM

Quote:

Haitian (I think) vs Hapkido Stylist

Um is this what you intended to type and if so what movie is this?

If you mean the Tony Jaa thing in the flooded burning place that style if Capoera and he's Brazilian. If you mean any of the Bruce Lee movies I don't think there was ever a Haitian in any of his movies.

A Haitian vs. HapKiDo would be interesting though, if that is what you meant where was this scene from?

Re: Your favorite fight scenes! - 05/15/06 01:33 PM

It's in the unfinsihed game of death. You can get the digitally remastered version on a DVD called 'Bruce Lee, A Warrior's Journey'. If you havent already done so, I really recommend you check it out. Some of the best Bruce Lee stuff there is.

PS. I think the character Bruce Lee plays is called Haitian from the speech in the film (it was in Cantonese). And, lol I didnt get Hapkido and Capoeira mixed up.
Posted by: SpeedyGonzales

Re: Your favorite fight scenes! - 05/16/06 04:24 AM

^ lol that's not what I was saying either... aw forget it, it was still wrong anyways lol

Game of Death had the best Bruce fights in my opinon because each one was "boss" not a one shot knockoff, nice fights.

I didn't notice that, why was he called Haitian?

Re: Your favorite fight scenes! - 05/16/06 05:08 AM

I have no idea why they called his character that. Just a name. I just heard James Tien screaming it when he was about to be killed by Abdul Karrem Jabbar.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Your favorite fight scenes! - 05/21/06 09:23 AM

I liked all the fight scenes from "The Bourne Identity" with Matt Damon. They were well choreographed.