Fearless (Huo Yuanjia)

Posted by: Ayub

Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 03/25/06 06:47 PM

I heard some people say some bad things about this film, (Jet Li's last KungFu film, so perhaps he'll still be doing other action films??) but to tell you the truth I thought it was fantastic, especially compared to what passes for martial arts films these days. I also thought it was good for Li to end his long outstanding career in MA films with a traditional styled martial arts film which he's mostly famous for. Also, ending with a biography of a great martial artist, Huo Yuanjia did leave a nice touch.

The special effects were not the best in places and I hear the biographical account wasnt 100% true but I can forgive these aspects. The action wasnt all realistic but who cares... movies are for entertainment only after all.

I give it 9 thumbs up
Posted by: Taison

Re: Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 03/26/06 04:33 AM

This movie gave a nice touch to us Asian fans as well. He played both the teacher[Huo Yuan Jia] and his student [Chen Zen], which makes the student and the teacher twins?

Anyway, it was a good movie and I doubt the last. Although it may be the last Kung-fu movie, I heard he's making a new movie called "rogue" or something like that. Jet Li should continue making these type of Kung-fu movies, it suits him the best.

I gave this movie 9/10.

-Taison out
Posted by: Wosaw

Re: Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 04/11/06 10:42 AM

I just finished watching fearless a few days ago, and i can honestly say its one of the best martial arts films I have seen in a while. The storyline is probably what I liked most about the film, among that its based on a true story (well im pretty sure its not 100 percent true seeing as the grandson of Huo Yuanjia filed a lawsuit on the film because the film potrayed him as a wealthy man who was childless). Among that, the fight scenes were good with a couple special effects, but im glad the special effects were nothing like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I'm not a big fan of wire stunts and people floating in air. Either way the movie was good. 9/10
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 06/28/06 02:44 PM

Seen it recently myself. Although I have seen a few of Jet Li's flicks, this one really made me want to see as many of his movies as possible.

It was a good movie and I was pleasantly surprised.
Posted by: Al_Fernz

Re: Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 07/03/06 03:48 PM

Saw it yesterday. This lad behind me brought his kid, who was about 6 and couldn't read. This resulted in him translating the whole movie, much to my annoyance. What kind of a$$clown brings a kid who can't read to a subtitled movie?

Despite this it was an amazing movie. One of Jet Li's best if not the best. The fight sequences were very well done. It was interesting that the Japanese opponent at the end was a good guy. Interesting change from the usual depiction of the Japanese as a$$holes in Chinese movies.

What next for Jet Li, romantic comedy?
Posted by: nauschalk

Re: Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 08/13/06 03:04 AM

I thought he just wasn't doing Wushu films anymore? Ignoring anything about historical inaccuracies, I like the film alot. It made me think alot about stuff going on in my life recently and... isnt that what good movies do? give you a message you can really take to heart.
Posted by: Kensei

Re: Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 09/26/06 01:18 PM

I just thought you'd all probably like to know that Jet Li never said it was his last martial arts film nor his last kung fu film. What he actually said was that it was his last Wushu film. It should also be noted that he sees Action, Kung Fu and Wushu movies as different things.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 09/26/06 04:14 PM

In all there advertisements they say his last "epic" movie not last movie. Heck I'm waiting for the release of Rogue due in 2007 that has Jet Li teamed up with Jason Statham which should make for a good combo.

Quote:

Movie Plot
After his partner Tom Wynne (Terry Chen) and family are killed apparently by the infamous and elusive assassin Rogue (Jet Li), FBI agent Jack Crawford (Jason Statham) becomes obsessed with revenge as his world unravels into a vortex of guilt and betrayal. Rogue eventually resurfaces to settle a score of his own, setting off a bloody crime war between Asian mob rivals Chang (John Lone) of the Triad's and Yakuza boss Shiro (Ryo Ishibashi). When Jack and Rogue finally come face to face, the ultimate truth of their pasts will be revealed.

Edit: I watched Fearless back in July and thought it was awesome. I seen it with subtitles that were poorly placed but what do you expect from a copy sent from Hong Kong.

Re: Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 09/27/06 03:43 AM

I am looking forward to that too. Jet Li made a great villain in The One, look forward to seeing him in that kind of role again.
Posted by: crablord

Re: Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 09/27/06 01:06 PM

I thought fearless was great.. I was hoping like christ it wouldnt be like hero..i mean seriously....WTF IS UP WITH THAT LAKE SCENE!?!!?? or the flying in midair for 20 minutes during a fight?? WTF!?? But anyway 9/10 for fearless. Ive met that big strong dude in real life too.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 09/27/06 03:59 PM

I don't remember meeting you.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 09/27/06 06:27 PM

I haven't seen this movie yet, although I plan to. However, according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huo_Yuanjia he never really fought any foreigner fighters except for punching some Judo guys in the hands. It seems this movie is VERY LOOSELY based on reality. Or did he not fight any foreigner fighters in the movie?
Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 10/01/06 03:52 PM

a lot of the movie can be seen on youtube

the first clip is at
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iIhGLKSnaP8
when you finish that one just click on the users name and you can see the parts after that one.
Posted by: Eric4444

Re: Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 10/02/06 10:48 PM

Quote:

I thought fearless was great.. I was hoping like christ it wouldnt be like hero..i mean seriously....WTF IS UP WITH THAT LAKE SCENE!?!!?? or the flying in midair for 20 minutes during a fight?? WTF!?? But anyway 9/10 for fearless. Ive met that big strong dude in real life too.

I sorta feel sorry that you don't get it.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 10/03/06 08:21 PM

I second that.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 10/03/06 11:32 PM

Err...

Are you talking about the movie "hero"? Cuz when I think about it, and after watching it again. . there's no lake scene nor any flying in the air.

Methinks, you're on the wrong movie. The one you're talking about is "Hero", while the one we're talking about is "Huo Yuan Jia" aka "Fearless".

Good luck mate,

-Taison out

Re: Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 10/04/06 10:27 PM

Quote:

I haven't seen this movie yet, although I plan to. However, according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huo_Yuanjia he never really fought any foreigner fighters except for punching some Judo guys in the hands. It seems this movie is VERY LOOSELY based on reality. Or did he not fight any foreigner fighters in the movie?

Well apparantly he really fight any foreign fighters but he did take up the challenges set by foreign fighters and then they never showed up at the time of the fight. In this way he become somewhat of a hero to the Chinese people.

The film is based very loosely on Huo Yuanjia, his descendants even went as far as sueing the film makers for inaccuracies in the script.
Posted by: Rumble

Re: Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 10/08/06 03:13 AM

[censored] in my opinion this was one of Jets best movies. I also heard a rumour about Jett teaming up with Jackie chan for his next action film.
Posted by: Ginkgo_Baloba

Re: Fearless (Huo Yuanjia) - 08/03/08 12:15 AM

may be of interest:
http://media.movieweb.com/galleries/3618/notes.pdf

Quote:

A Brief History of Huo Yuanjia’s Life and Times
For centuries, China was a leading civilization, easily outpacing the rest of the
world in the arts and sciences. But times and circumstances changed, and by
the time Huo Yuanjia journeyed to Shanghai in 1910, China had become
wracked by civil unrest. The citizens’ spirits were worn down by a lengthy
period of military defeats and foreign occupation.
70 years prior, the first Opium War began and, for the first time in its history,
China found itself militarily and strategically outclassed by foreigners. As a
result of the Treaty of Nanjing, the country was forced to open up its ports to
European traders and settlers and the opium trade started to flourish. This
beginning of the era which Chinese historians refer to as “the time of unequal
treaties” marked a time of unprecedented degradation for China and its
people. Japan’s victory during the Sino‐Japanese War further sapped the
national morale in “the Weak Man of the East.”
It was in this humbling context that Huo, in 1909, founded a martial arts
school, the Jingwu Sports Federation (the motto of which is “Body, Mind and
Soul”). Jingwu introduced gymnastics training into its curriculum, and other
schools followed suit. The school also encouraged cooperation, selfimprovement,
and national pride.
Huo had been born circa 1868 into a Wushu (the general Chinese‐language
term for martial arts) master’s family, in Dongguang County (south of Tianjin). His father made a living working as a bodyguard for wealthy people.
As a child, Huo was weak and often ill; his father therefore decided not to
teach Huo martial arts. But the boy was determined to learn and master
martial arts. Daily, he would watch his father and brothers practice Wushu
and then mimic their moves in secret, in a forest of date trees. Taking note of
Huo’s determination, his father reconsidered and began to teach him martial arts. Huo learned the family’s
own fighting style as well as the essentials of other schools of fighting.
In 1890, a visiting Wushu master engaged in trials of strength with Huo’s
family members. The master, Du, defeated Huo’s brothers. But Huo, with one
swift kick, knocked the man flat. Word of this victory spread through Huo’s
village and the neighboring regions.
In 1901, Huo was present at a public match where a Russian fighter verbally
insulted the Chinese people. Hearing this, Huo mounted the platform and
reprimanded the man. Cowed by Huo’s bravery, the fighter apologized.
In the spring of 1909, a British fighter named O’Brien came to Shanghai and
announced that he would take on any Chinese contenders. Huo accepted the
challenge, and also let it be known that he in turn would fight any foreign
fighters. O’Brien left Shanghai before Huo could fight him. This rout greatly
enhanced the Chinese people’s morale, and Huo was spurred to found Jingwu
to advance healthy body and spirit for a healthier nation. He taught as the
main coach at the school.
Huo’s life was cut short on September 14th, 1910, during the Shanghai
tournament that would secure his place in Chinese history. Differing theories
as to the specifics of his untimely death abound. The two most prevalent ones
are that he was poisoned at a peace‐making banquet given by the Japanese
Judo wrestlers; or that he was poisoned with jaundice medication prescribed
by a Japanese doctor who was also a teacher of the tournament’s Judo
competitors, and who fled Shanghai upon news of Huo’s death.
The man was gone, but his legacy was already taking hold; in shoring up
China’s strength and spirit, Huo had inspired and unified an entire nation.
Long revered in China as a hero and patriot, Huo’s discoveries and teachings
continue to transform lives (as the Jingwu Sports Federation has branches in
over 50 countries) and convey the soul of martial arts.