ROCKY SIX!!!

Posted by: Dudley32

ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/07/06 05:08 PM

Personally, I was amazed and a bit skeptical when I heard this. After how the fifth Rocky was, I thought there was no way. But everyones favorite boxer is at it again.

I did a quick search on google to check and see if, indeed the rumors were true. And they are. In the works are a Rocky six due to be released next year.

So what are youre opinions on this, I thought that the fifth one was stupid and personally will be skeptical as to whether this one will be any better.

If there is any info out there that you guys and girls know about this. Then please share, I personally cracked up when I heard about this, but you never know it could be great.

Matt
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/07/06 05:23 PM

Antonio Tarver plays the main antagonist in the movie. Mr. Tarver is the real-life light heavyweight champion of the world.

Apparently the boxing scenes are supposed to be very realistic. But I will have to wait and see.

I have seen stills for the movie in the news, and Sly looks in pretty good shape.

I would be just curious enough to go see it, but I think I will leave my expectations at the door.
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/07/06 08:23 PM

Part five was a sham, but i will definatly see six!
Posted by: Cord

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/08/06 03:30 AM

Quote:

Personally, I was amazed and a bit skeptical when I heard this. After how the fifth Rocky was, I thought there was no way. But everyones favorite boxer is at it again.

I did a quick search on google to check and see if, indeed the rumors were true. And they are. In the works are a Rocky six due to be released next year.

So what are youre opinions on this, I thought that the fifth one was stupid and personally will be skeptical as to whether this one will be any better.

If there is any info out there that you guys and girls know about this. Then please share, I personally cracked up when I heard about this, but you never know it could be great.

Matt

Stallone has been trying to green light this project since around '99 but studios wouldnt touch it after number 5's poor reception. The success of 'The contender' reality boxing show, Hosted by Sly, and the popularity of his 'InStone' supplement range convinced the producers (I think the Weinstein brothers?) that there was life in the franchise after all.
If you saw 'The Contender' you will know that Sly is in fantastic condition, not only for his age, but by any and all standards so is gonna play it just fine. As for realism? well, its never been what Rocky is about so I dont consider it a relevant basis for critique. Stallone has always been good at illiciting an emotional response in an audience. I remember seeing rockies 2 through 4 in the cinema and the audience standing and cheering at the finales- at a cinema screen!?! I did too

If Foreman can come out of retirement at 44 and win a championship in RL, then Rocky can come out of retirement at 58 in movieland and do just fine IMO.

Also watch out for Rambo 4 in which, having re-assimilated into american civilian life, Rambo's daughter gets kidnapped by white supremacists (he is meant to be 1/2 American-indian remember?) causing him to go all bad ass again to get her back. In interviews Stallone has said that it is much more in keeping with First blood in tone and scale (not the OTT one man army stuff of 2+3), and its atmosphere will also draw comparison to 'Deliverance'.

I am excited about both films. He is the last great action star, and if they are successfull, I hope it leads to Diesel and the Rock ceasing their quests for acting credibility, and being happy kicking a$$ and giving witty one-liners for the rest of their film careers.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/08/06 10:29 AM

Quote:

Also watch out for Rambo 4 in which, having re-assimilated into american civilian life, Rambo's daughter gets kidnapped by white supremacists (he is meant to be 1/2 American-indian remember?) causing him to go all bad ass again to get her back. In interviews Stallone has said that it is much more in keeping with First blood in tone and scale (not the OTT one man army stuff of 2+3), and its atmosphere will also draw comparison to 'Deliverance'.

Wow, I heard abou Rocky 6 and do look forward to seeing it, but didn't know he was going to try Rambo 4. I can't wait for that. I did like Rocky 5, not sure why others didn't. Maybe cuz it went to the streets..
Posted by: don_juan

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/08/06 07:49 PM

A Rambo 4 is coming out and i heard about the rocky six and didnt like rocky 5 because rocky was the teacher and i didnt like the guy he was teaching.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/14/06 10:23 PM

Rambo 4? Uhh, in what time will it take place?
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/15/06 05:43 AM

Quote:

I remember seeing rockies 2 through 4 in the cinema and the audience standing and cheering at the finales- at a cinema screen!?! I did too

i thought that was an american thing? then again haven't seen rocky 2-4 so i wouldn't knw just how good it is.

rambo for sounds good, its good that they're going back to first blood.

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/15/06 07:49 AM

Quote:

i thought that was an american thing? then again haven't seen rocky 2-4 so i wouldn't knw just how good it is.

Nope, it was a worldwide thing. There is good reason that Rocky is a cinema Icon. You must watch Rocky's 1-4. Its important to your development as a human being who likes to hit stuff

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/16/06 12:26 PM

i meant the culture of generally cheering at a cinema screen and shouting and stuff which apparantley goes on.

a while ago i asked round if anyone had watched rambo at school. some people hadn't even heard of it, i still haven't got over the shock! the horror!!
Posted by: trevek

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/16/06 01:56 PM

If you want cheering in a cinema, try being the guy with the English accent in a Glasgow cinema during a showing of 'Braveheart'!

I liked the early Rocky films as they showed Sly could hold his own on screen. (I like 'Paradise Alley' too). I've always thought Stallone's greatest strength was (generally) knowing what he was good at and doing it. OK, there was 'Oscar' and 'Stop or my Mom will Shoot', but I can gorgive him those.

Apparently even during the 1980's some of the Soviet Special Forces guys were into Rambo as they saw him as a real hero.

As for not hearing of people... my TKD sabum once mentioned Muhammed Ali to the class and nobody had heard of him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/16/06 02:00 PM

Wow, shutters to think some haven't heard of Rocky or Muhammad Ali..Am I that old???

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/16/06 02:10 PM

To make it worse I think the Will Smith film was out at the time!
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/16/06 02:16 PM

Quote:

:...and i didnt like the guy he was teaching.

Alas, do not be too harsh on him. The man playing Tommy "The Machine" Gunn was none other than Thomas David Morrison.

Tommy Morrison, as he was better known, became a real life heavyweight champion in 1993 by out pointing George Foreman for the title. He lost the belt in his next defence.

He was forced to retire from boxing when a standard pre-bout medical showed that he was HIV positive.

He would later serve 14 months in prison for weapons charges. He was pulled over by state police for some reason that I cannot recall, and apparently he had enough firepower in his trunk to level a castle and then some.

He has been released for several years now and is determined to concentrate on acting. He and his wife had a son a few years ago, and his life seems to be going well.

One more final interesting fact about Morrison, he is the real life grandnephew of some movie star, a fellow called John Wayne. Never heard of him though...

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/16/06 03:04 PM

Wow, didn't know all that..Thanks..However, I thought he looked familiar in the movie and his fighting seemed like he was trained in boxing...Glad to hear things are going good for him...
Posted by: don_juan

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/16/06 08:17 PM

My last name is Rambo just felt like saying it.

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/17/06 03:20 AM

Didn't Morrison actually have a couple of fights after he was confirmed positive?

I seem to remember everyone wearing goggles and gloves.

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/18/06 05:48 PM

Quote:

i meant the culture of generally cheering at a cinema screen and shouting and stuff which apparantley goes on.

Not really. I clearly remember cheering at the beginning and end of all the original star wars movies, all the indiana jones movies terminator 2, and the end of the first Matrix.

I think part of what has changed is that its been a long time since a film has been made that is good enough to generate a true emotional response in the audience.

In response to the other post, i firmly beleive that anyone who hasnt heard of Ali needs to be slapped upside the head, and then forced to watch his fights and interviews. No excuses.

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 01/20/06 01:26 PM

it would be ace if everyone knew about mohhamed ali, i'd love to hear some use the arguement "he can't be champ, he's too damn ugly to be the champ" in real life, that would just be brilliant.
Posted by: Ayub

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 06/16/06 05:46 PM

YO ADRIANNNNNN!!! I'm so excited I almost wet myself. Pics, teaser trailer, interviews..........
http://i.1asphost.com/RockyFan/rocky6.html

He looks amazing!

I am glad that they are going with a more drama type feel again. This was present in Rocky I and II, but disappeared in the later versions with more of the development of a ''villain'' which I didnt like, The Count of Monte Fisto ( Apollo Creed) was just a champ trying to win, he had honour and dignity....

Also Talia Shire is making an appearance, just a short appearance as her character is meant to be deceased. Did you know Sly has his own magazine... no one was really interested but it contained the entire Rocky 6 Script in installments a few years back. I've read the opening scene which was Rocky and his boy at his mother's grave.

I cant belive that Clubber Lang (Mr. T) is taking the Apollo Creed, ex. opponent trainer role! He has aged a lot... I think he is cut rather than muscular now, but still in great shape.

BTW Did anyone notice that Rocky got exponentially smarter through the Rocky movies? Check the trailer, he really thinks about life and stuff now!

Who else is excited?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 06/16/06 06:09 PM

I'm excited for sure ... and I'd bet Cord will be too. He slimmed down over the Rocky movies but also toned a lot more ... less body fat. Not so much for the last Rocky movie and certainly does not have the body of Rocky IV for this movie, but at 59 ... I hope I look this good and am still functional like he is. Stallone is the man.

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 06/17/06 10:18 AM

Intersting factiod No. 132456: Stallone played Rocky as a lean mean 195lb fighter for the Rematch with Clubber Lang. In reality, stallone dropped to just 155lbs to achieve the uber ripped, 'post Apollo training' visual effect.

I think the title being 'Rocky Balboa' with no numbers or tag lines indicates that he is trying to bring the character full circle, and return to the roots of the first movie. Lest we forget that, back in the late 70's after Rocky 1, Sly was tipped to be 'the new DeNiro', and 'Copland' showed he is far more than a one dimensional action man.

He is in good shape, and I feel that this, and Rambo 4 will suprise a lot of people both in their quality, and their tone.
Posted by: Ayub

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 06/17/06 06:25 PM

But Rambo 4 is about his teaching his skills to a new generation of soldiers... If not done well, hopefully with Sly having to goin and save them with a MG42 and hand granades, it might go belly up.

Re: ROCKY SIX!!! - 06/18/06 03:23 AM

Nope, that was the script treatment floating around years ago when Tarantino wanted to get on board with it. The pre production story finalised is that he is Back in the states living in a national park as a ranger of some description, with a family and some semblance of peace. His daughter is then kidnapped by a racist gang/cult (she will be part American indian remember), and he has to dust off his survival knife one more time to rescue her.
Stallone has said that it will be more like 'Deliverance' than what we instantly think of as 'Rambo', with a lot more at stake, and gritty upclose tension, rather than million bullet explosion fests.