MA documentaries/series...

Posted by: Ed_Morris

MA documentaries/series... - 12/07/05 10:29 AM

Thought it would be useful to have a thread collecting recommended MA documentaries:

Here's one I've run into recently...it's unreleased (you have to find bootleg...so I'm NOT telling you that you can get this on ebay ...*wink* *wink*)

THE WAY OF THE WARRIOR The Paradox of the Martial Arts.
A BBC series from the early 80`s.

The series list is as follows (each about 45 minutes):

1 Shorinji Kempo 'The New Way'
2 Kalari 'The Indian Way'
3 Aikido and Kendo 'The Sporting Way'
4 T'ai Chi 'The Soft Way' - also included Hsing Yi and Ba Gua
5 Eskrima 'The Philippino Way'
6 Karate 'The Way of the Empty Hand'
7 Kung Fu 'The Hard Way'
8 The Samurai Way

found a clip for you to preview:
http://x302.putfile.com/videos/c1-29916133657.wmv

looks interesting.
Posted by: Cord

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 12/07/05 10:45 AM

Typical A guy in the states finds a cool series made and broadcast under my very nose and I missed every one of em

To add to your list I only have two that have been discussed already, but they were ok.

Deadly Arts
Mind, Body and Kickass moves.

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 12/07/05 02:03 PM

Ha-Ha. I found it first and you're mad.

what stinks is the ebay bootleg copies that I'm NOT going to mention *wink* are all UK-PAL format. I would need US-NSTC (but since I'm NOT *wink* going to get these bootlegs, then it shouldn't matter).

of course, one thing that we shouldn't do, Cord, is have me not buy the PAL version...then I won't copy and convert to NSTC...and then not send you the PAL version. *wink* *wink**wink**wink**wink*

that sound like a non-plan? {speak using the negative-affirmative code and with *winks* or *nudges* when needed for clearity}
Posted by: trevek

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 12/07/05 02:17 PM

Try checking some BBC satelitte channels, I'm not sure it hasn't been shown again on things like BBC world.

Meantime, try this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/tv/mind_body/masters_japan.shtml
Posted by: Cord

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 12/08/05 05:13 AM

Quote:

what stinks is the ebay bootleg copies that I'm NOT going to mention *wink* are all UK-PAL format. I would need US-NSTC (but since I'm NOT *wink* going to get these bootlegs, then it shouldn't matter).

of course, one thing that we shouldn't do, Cord, is have me not buy the PAL version...then I won't copy and convert to NSTC...and then not send you the PAL version. *wink* *wink**wink**wink**wink*

that sound like a non-plan? {speak using the negative-affirmative code and with *winks* or *nudges* when needed for clearity}

I think that would be terrible I would not be happy to recieve any such contraband and would definately never watch it *nudge nudge*. I am glad you have no such plans, however, if you need my address for...er....that batch of Matt biscuits you promised me, feel free to PM/email me
Posted by: BrianS

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 12/08/05 06:31 AM

Quote:

That's terrible!! I sure would hate if someone (Ed) didn't offer that to me as well. I wouldn't be willing to compensate him for the trouble at all either!!!
Posted by: trevek

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 12/08/05 08:54 AM

There was a book which went with the series of "Way of the warrior"

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 12/26/05 12:08 PM

update: just got this in the mail today. because it's PAL format, I can only watch it on my 'puter with a DVD drive.
It's 2 disks and 4 hours long.

I'll convert it to NTSC (US & canada) - after figuring out how to do that so it can be watched on any US dvd player, and then we can finally start discussing the content of this program.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 12/26/05 12:59 PM

This thread may be my favorite of all. You all may think I'm foolish but I'm excited just to hear I met get to see this film. I'm not very good with computers, but my brother often goes to torrent sites, where people load and download from a network. Maybe we could share info that way?

Man sorry I feel like a little kid, to me learning about a martial arts documentary is like a 10 year old being happy about the new Harry Potter movie.

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 12/26/05 02:49 PM

figured it out. the conversion is in the works. I've looked into and installed torrent and it's great. but I'm deciding not to go that route until I find out more about the legality issues. I'll get back to everyone within 2 days about this.

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 12/27/05 08:44 PM

here's the deal....I'm not going to make anything available that I don't have rights to distribute. I'm allowed to make personal copies and let friends borrow a copy. {wink wink}.
Those interested in seeing this by 'borrowing' one of my personal copies, please PM me your US address. Cord gets to 'borrow' the original which is in PAL format for the UK.

since I opened a new account here on the forum, I lost all of my previous messages, so I lost everyone's mailing addresses.

don't worry about shipping cost. for the most part, people are good here... what comes around goes around.

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 12/30/05 06:36 PM

success!
PM me if interested.

back to general topic:
here are some more obscure and interesting nuggets for your pursuit...
http://www.simonlaucentre.co.uk/simonlau/film.asp

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 12/31/05 02:13 AM

back to 'the way of the warrior' for a sec.... wow. this has to be the best general documentary series I've seen on martial arts ever. Each segment is about 35 or 40 minutes, so the total is closer to 5 hours. I was impressed as to the depth of which each Art was represented. very well done.

This is from 1982 - why can't they make modern documentaries like this (or even better)? the best we can do now is a 2-hour special on discovery channel about XMA?

anyway, this is a must see series.

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 01/05/06 04:23 PM

I had to re-do the conversion...turns out I used the wrong recording speed and the ends of the last segment of each disk was clipped off. got it all fixed now.

wait till you guys see the 'Tai Chi' and 'Kalari' segments...I was blown away.
Posted by: Ivanhoe

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 07/12/06 06:30 AM

Thanks to Boardroom for going the extra mile to get a New Zealander a copy. I really enjoyed the Shorinji Kempo demonstration on putting someone to sleep then reviving them.
Posted by: HG1

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 10/24/06 01:06 PM

By far the best martial arts documentary out there. The martial artists interviewed are highly skilled. Every episode displays the characteristics unique to each martial art.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 11/03/06 07:34 PM

Anyone watched "Go Warrior"? It was a short series but I rather enjoyed it. Watching that series was the first time I encountered BJJ.
Posted by: Dervish

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 11/04/06 04:19 PM

Have any of you seen this documentary about Shaolin Kung Fu?

Quite interesting ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCtp44coLvA
Posted by: modernsamurai

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 11/05/06 02:07 PM

Hey just wondering how easy this item was to find. I have been searching ebay daily for it with little success, any tips you have or can you release the seller info? I'd really appreciate it.

Mahalo

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 11/05/06 02:36 PM

the UK (PAL) formats were available, but I don't see any out there now. It may be that they have cracked down on illegal copies probaby circulating.

I know there was someone in the UK making it available thru bittorrent...but even that seems to be gone now.
Posted by: Ayub

Re: MA documentaries/series... - 11/08/06 07:47 AM

I have seen this documentary a few times on national geographic, I always look out for their documentary serieses as they are interesting (sometimes). The documentary shows what exactly goes on at the Shaolin Temple, the six year olds are quite amazing and deadly!