Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves with Chris Crudelli

Posted by: imcrazy

Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves with Chris Crudelli - 08/16/05 01:07 PM

Anyone seen this? I ask because I'm somewhat skeptical of it. Is it one of those documentary shows where they actually talk about the truth and history behind the arts? Or is it one of those shows for pure entertainment value and simply shows all the "mystical" or "magical" sides to the arts and further makes people believe that martial arts are just fantasy. I think I saw a post somewhere about this show however I was unable to find it through search.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves with Chris Crudelli - 08/16/05 03:29 PM

http://www.kungfuscience.org/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/tv/mind_body/chris_crudelli.shtml
http://www.einsteinyear.org/about/media/kungfuscience

'dat help?
Posted by: Cord

Re: Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves with Chris Crudelli - 08/18/05 07:18 AM

Quote:

Anyone seen this? I ask because I'm somewhat skeptical of it. Is it one of those documentary shows where they actually talk about the truth and history behind the arts? Or is it one of those shows for pure entertainment value and simply shows all the "mystical" or "magical" sides to the arts and further makes people believe that martial arts are just fantasy. I think I saw a post somewhere about this show however I was unable to find it through search.

Its not a bad show IMO, he goes around the world, visiting a different culture and high ranking exponents of its respective arts, interviews them, gets an overview of them, trains a little in the style, and sometimes spars his style against theirs (he does a form of kung fu). All this is interjected with 'David Blain' style self defence tips delivered on the street (this is by far the weakest part of the show).
If you ever saw 'Deadly Arts' with Jesse De Normandeau and found the idea good but its presentation was a little dry, and the presenter not skilled enough to really give the arts a good 'college try' (she never got to grips with anything IMO), then 'mind Body....' may well be a good hours entertainment for you.
Posted by: imcrazy

Re: Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves with Chris Crude - 08/22/05 11:33 AM

Well I've watched a few episodes, and I have to agree with Cord. However this is because they are trying to show martial arts to the people who know little more than the word "Karate" and the name "Bruce Lee". They can't make it too complicated or else the audience would loose interest.

However if anyone who reads this is looking for a more in depth look into the arts, this certainly isn't it. And the self defence tips in 5 seconds portitions are very weak. I also find that he doesn't spend enough time on one art to really give the viewers an idea of it (aside from its name). Maybe if he had made every episode dedicated to one martial art, it would be better (but again the general public would probably find that boring). And his chi power segments seemed a little hokey, having never trained with "chi power" as it were and I also don't believe in it like the chinese do. So naturally I was a little skeptical of his little tricks (guess you have to be there). Oh ya and he likes to break things to keep people interested . But in the end it didn't seem like it was focusing on the fairy tales of the arts per say.

If anyone knows of a great tv series or documentary series that goes through different arts in alot more detail (for those of us with some knowledge in martial arts already), please let me know. This is what I'm looking for right now. Thanks.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves with Chris Crude - 08/30/05 05:24 PM

thank you so much for bringing this up. i'd totally forgotten about this show. twas great although once they did show some martial art when you controlled people with your chi and they had a 'master' making one of his students run around in circles by 'guiding him' with his hand. bit b*ll*cks that episode.

Re: Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves with Chris Crude - 08/31/05 04:01 AM

Yep I remember that one- and the behind the screen 'dodge the intent before the strike' training they were doing was daft as well, but I guess it makes them a lot of money. It was a wasted episode of the show when you think of all the great arts that could have taken its place.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves with Chris Crude - 08/31/05 04:43 AM

Hi guys i was on bbc3 website and spotted that mind body and kick ass moves is on bbc3 on monday 5th at 7:30 if anyone is interested. Its only a replay but still thought i would inform you as you were talking about it.

Re: Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves with Chris Crude - 08/31/05 06:21 AM

Nice one Tezza!! On the subject of MA on UK television, look out for the following:

Cage Rage and King of the Cage- Men and Motors. 10pm onwards on selected weeknights.

UFC- Bravo. 10pm onwards weekends and selected weeknights

Deadly Arts- Adventure One. varying times/days

Happy viewing

Re: Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves with Chris Crude - 08/31/05 08:00 AM

Cheers. I will look out for them
Posted by: michael1976

Re: Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves with Chris Crude - 09/05/05 04:49 PM

Take a look at this website and you will find it's just come out on DVD.
http://play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&page=title&r=R2&title=656579

Re: Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves with Chris Crude - 09/11/05 06:48 AM

Hi guys. I just bought Mind Body and Kick ass moves on dvd and it says on the front that it is series 1. Does this mean they are going to bring out another series? If anyone knows that they are bringing out another series please keep me informed. Thanks
Also which was your favourite episode?

Re: Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves with Chris Crude - 09/11/05 11:29 AM

I am not sure about a second series. My favorite episode was the Filipino MA one, with the blindfold sinawali, and the making of the poison blades. I liked it firstly, because I study Kali so it was right up my street so to speak, and second because it showed a little of Crudelli free sparring, and he seemed quite good, so added a little credibility to the series for me; unlike that Josette Du Normandeu who does 'Deadly Arts' who quite frankly shows no aptitiude for anything she investigates- they never say what her black belt is in, but the grading cant have been rigorous IMO
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves with Chris Crude - 09/13/05 12:01 PM

its quite a strange show really. he'll show some really good stuff like the kali/escrima show but then in the same show a new japanese 'art' called shintaido where the master forces one of his students to run round using only the power of telethapy!! then again that art did have a quite good thing of sensing someones intent from a short distance.

in one episode he shows a (i beleive) 3rd dan okinawa (sp) karate master doing a couplke of kata and demonstating some moves and showing the difference between sport karate and the directness of okinawa karate (i know actually want to start okinawa karate as it seems to have a lot of things i think about in fighting).
but he then spoils the episode by showing a master and champion of one of the knife kali arts but instead of showing the art the guy takes him round a market and shows where to buy the best medalions and good luck charms!!!
Posted by: TwistingKick

Re: Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves with Chris Crude - 09/20/05 08:53 AM

not sure if anyone will read this but just thought i should add that Josette Du Normandeu's black belt is in aikido, which is possibly why she couldnt get to grips with arts such as capoeira!!

Re: Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves with Chris Crude - 09/20/05 09:57 AM

Quote:

not sure if anyone will read this but just thought i should add that Josette Du Normandeu's black belt is in aikido, which is possibly why she couldnt get to grips with arts such as capoeira!!

But doesnt explain the complete lack of balance and coordination, nor the seemingly complete ignorance of Japanese martial culture that she displayed
Sorry, I am sure she is a nice person, but surely, in all of the known world, there were more suitable candidates for showing the MA to the world than her?