Good, realistic sword figting movies.............

Posted by: REDGRANT

Good, realistic sword figting movies............. - 06/11/05 11:00 PM

My favorite is "The Sword of Doom" in black and white. This is most realistc sword fighting movie ever. It shows how swordmen moves his ankle for pacing and distance control. If you're into furious, but realistic action, this movie is it.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Good, realistic sword figting movies............. - 06/12/05 03:18 AM

I imagine the most realistic i have seen is at the start of 'TROY'. The bit where Brad Pit takes out the huge guy throwing spears at him. One stab and you have one dead oponent. Quick and anti climatic in a cinematic sense. Reality seldom makes for good fiction. Thats why fight choreographers get the big bucks

In an oriental movie, you cannot beat the swordplay in 'Twilight Samurai'. The weight of responsibility in taking a single life is portrayed to perfection, and the actual fight at the end is magnificent in its desperation and simplicity.
Posted by: glad2bhere

Re: Good, realistic sword figting movies............. - 06/12/05 03:12 PM

The final encounter of THE YAKUZA which takes place in a Yakuza-controlled temple gets my vote for the singularly most realistic fight.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Posted by: Belnick

Re: Good, realistic sword figting movies.......... - 06/15/05 06:29 AM

Quote:

I imagine the most realistic i have seen is at the start of 'TROY'. The bit where Brad Pit takes out the huge guy throwing spears at him. One stab and you have one dead oponent.

lol the silliest scene in that movie due to extremly bad sfx, legolas jumping on the horse in LoTR2 almost looked better(he was ½his size, lol)

Re: Good, realistic sword figting movies.......... - 06/15/05 11:30 AM

But the reality of being run through with sword was impeccable. Too many times you see fatal injuries being endured whilst the person carries on regardless of shock, blood loss, penetration of vital organs. This showed it how it would be if a great big piece of metal got shoved through the neck down into the chest cavity, ie. instant debilatation and very quick death. The question was about realism, not quality of sfx
Posted by: Belnick

Re: Good, realistic sword figting movies.......... - 06/16/05 12:06 PM

Quote:

But the reality of being run through with sword was impeccable. Too many times you see fatal injuries being endured whilst the person carries on regardless of shock, blood loss, penetration of vital organs. This showed it how it would be if a great big piece of metal got shoved through the neck down into the chest cavity, ie. instant debilatation and very quick death. The question was about realism, not quality of sfx

then how do u explain b'zerk then ?
or junkies getting several bullets holes in them and continue to fire at the cops till the body shut down several seconds later...

Re: Good, realistic sword figting movies.......... - 06/16/05 04:56 PM

PCP was not standard issue in feudal warfare of any culture .

Shock delays pain response, but a sword through the heart stops things pronto.
Even with a huge adrenaline surge imagine the agony of wielding a broadsword with your abdominal wall sliced open.
If swords were not quick and deadly weapons, they would not have been adopted in so many cultures as primary weapons of war.