Just picked up "Hero" the other day...

Posted by: Anonymous

Just picked up "Hero" the other day... - 03/28/05 02:48 PM

I have yet to be able to watch it, but if you have seen it, what did you think of it? It looked really good from previews and little shots here and there that I saw. Just curious about your reviews.

Re: Just picked up "Hero" the other day... - 03/30/05 07:24 AM

Its a great film. Not just from a MA point of view, but also from a film making point of view, especially the way of telling the plot (I wont spoil it for anyone). So many MA films have plot and acting secondary to MA action but Im glad to say, Hero is not one of them. In fact I would go as far to say that Hero is NOT a MA film, period.
Even though I love Jet Li, Jet Li is hardly the star of this film, all the actors give a good performance, not just in acting but MA too, and all serve the story well. Some say its like "Croching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" but I think the film is far more clever and original than that.
However those expecting Jet Lis usual Kung Fu antics will be disappointed, the film mainly revolves around sword play. This is not a bad thing, but people expecting "The One" or "Romeo Must Die" will not get what they are after. However Jet Li is excellent in his MA in this movie, but I feel more held back, not so flashy.
I know some people who didnt like Hero saying it was too "arty" but for myself, someone interested in both plain film-making and MA, it was a good mix for me. 9/10.

[This message has been edited by JayJay (edited 03-30-2005).]

Re: Just picked up "Hero" the other day... - 03/30/05 05:02 PM

A very very good film. Note that the martial arts are extremely unrealistic however.

Re: Just picked up "Hero" the other day... - 03/30/05 10:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DefenselessChild:
A very very good film. Note that the martial arts are extremely unrealistic however.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Like "Crouching Tiger" the martial arts have a very dream-like quaility. Not to be taken too seriously. Just looks cool, thats all.

Re: Just picked up "Hero" the other day... - 04/05/05 05:29 PM

was i the only person who thought "hero" su(ked?

maybe i'm not "highbrow" enough to enjoy the symbolism of colors, but the fighting scenes were ho hum and overall the movie was difficult to enjoy.

Re: Just picked up "Hero" the other day... - 04/06/05 02:17 PM

Well, Donnie Yen was good in that movie. He was also good in Shaolin Knights as the villian who want's to become the Emperor of China.

Re: Just picked up "Hero" the other day... - 04/07/05 06:14 AM

The fighting uses lots of flying and other wire stuff, not something I'm keen on, but nonetheless I can see that they did it well. However, when they are on the ground you get to see some superb fighting with weapons.

The cinematography is breathtaking, and this will make it a classic that people are still watching in fifty years.

The storyline is a simple parable that could be told in a couple of minutes, it serves to tie together a number of sub-plots, but knowing the story does not detract from enjoying the film. I certainly will be watching this film more than a couple of times.

Re: Just picked up "Hero" the other day... - 04/10/05 12:49 PM

Hero is one of my top 3 movies. I read here, it wouldn't be a martial arts movie. Well, indeed there's a lot of story telling, but the few fight scenes are distinctive and striking (such as the first fight between the Nameless and Sky, on the sea or in the forest) accompanied with great music (Great OST!) and the play with colors.
The movie is piece of art for itself and a great experience to see.

Re: Just picked up "Hero" the other day... - 04/10/05 05:21 PM

Might as well use their real names, Donnie Yen and Jet Li.

Re: Just picked up "Hero" the other day... - 04/14/05 11:39 AM

I would watch it over and over just for the courtyard showdown between Jet Li and Donnie Yen. It's not their best or flashiest choreography, but the atmospherics are beautiful and used to their fullest. I love the water dripping everywhere, covering everything; the giant Go board; the old man twanging away in sync with the action. It's my favorite scene of the movie.