House of flying daggers

Posted by: Anonymous

House of flying daggers - 11/24/04 05:00 PM

has any one seen the movie house of flying daggers im gonna buy it soon i want to know if its any good its the same director of hero and crouching tiger hidden dragon.

[This message has been edited by itsHim (edited 11-25-2004).]

Re: House of flying daggers - 12/15/04 04:29 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by itsHim:
has any one seen the movie house of flying daggers im gonna buy it soon i want to know if its any good its the same director of hero and crouching tiger hidden dragon.

[This message has been edited by itsHim (edited 11-25-2004).]
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's really good, Less martial arts, more character drama. Same, sometimes better, amazingly beautiful art direction and photography. The visuals are quite stunning. I don't think you could possibly be disappointed in this if you liked CTHD and hero.

Re: House of flying daggers - 02/01/05 07:24 AM

It's a fantastic film, the cinomatography is awesome. Truly beutiful.

Watch out for the season change i the last fight. lol

slighlty better than 'Hero' and 'Crounching Tiger'

---Alonzo

Re: House of flying daggers - 02/14/05 06:22 PM

i know a lot of people have seen "hero", "house of flying daggers" and "crouching tiger, hidden dragon" but there are lots of other really great asian films that just don't get the press they deserve. some of my favorites are "Purple Butterfly" (which is surprisingly unknown considering that it also stars Zhang Ziyi...mmm, Zhang Ziyi ), "Dolls" (one of the most visually gorgeous films i have ever seen), "Bright Future" (an intense movie about a murder and a pet jellyfish), and "Last Life in the Universe" (a movie which is kinda like "Lost in Translation" but set in thailand with a lot more murder and yakuzas). go to www.palmpictures.com and check out these really awesome films...don't let "HoFD" be the only asian movie anyone's ever heard of!

-Tim

Re: House of flying daggers - 02/15/05 12:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by all_indie:
i know a lot of people have seen "hero", "house of flying daggers" and "crouching tiger, hidden dragon" but there are lots of other really great asian films that just don't get the press they deserve. some of my favorites are "Purple Butterfly" (which is surprisingly unknown considering that it also stars Zhang Ziyi...mmm, Zhang Ziyi ), "Dolls" (one of the most visually gorgeous films i have ever seen), "Bright Future" (an intense movie about a murder and a pet jellyfish), and "Last Life in the Universe" (a movie which is kinda like "Lost in Translation" but set in thailand with a lot more murder and yakuzas). go to www.palmpictures.com and check out these really awesome films...don't let "HoFD" be the only asian movie anyone's ever heard of!

-Tim
[/QUOTE]

All those movies are great, I would add to the list just a few of my favorites: old boy (must see), 2046 (check out this and other wong kar wai films for pure gorgeous style), mizu no onna, "spring, summer, winter, fall... and spring", road movie, taegukgi, all about lily chou chou, casshern, battle royale, moon child. Well, that's a bit more than a few, but there are so many more. Glad someone has good taste in cinema [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Re: House of flying daggers - 02/15/05 10:49 AM

I think house of flying daggers wasnt the best of the three that seem to have made it big in the west (in case you dont know im talking about crouching tiger, the above and hero). I admit the storyine is good and the acting fantastic, but i feel that the martial arts side of it was greatly let down, every fight scene seems the same.

Re: House of flying daggers - 02/16/05 08:03 PM

D-thanks for the compliment. Im suprised that you've heard of them. Not that many people that I talk to have heard or seen them all. Which one out of palm pictures is your favorite? For action obviously Purple Butterfly is great but for my top list I would have to go with Last Life in the Universe

Re: House of flying daggers - 02/16/05 09:19 PM

I haven't seen HOTFD yet (plan to), but I've seen 2046. Beautiful photography indeed... I'm also a fan of CTHD and Hero, in spite of the fact that I saw the last in a dubbed version, and about ALL Asian film are poorly translated into European languages (nobody's fault, the way the languages work are just too different), let alone dubbed (partly because of the poor texts resulting of the previous operation, partly because of the dubbers' incompetence). And I agree to All_Indie's opinion about Zhang Ziyi [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] (ie "Zhang Ziyi...mmm, Zhang Ziyi")! By the way, the pinyin transliteration is tricky: pronounce "Djang Dze Yee" if you want to sound like you know your stuff... (the vowel in "zi" is somewhat similar to the one in "bird", but shorter)

[This message has been edited by Tashiga (edited 02-16-2005).]

Re: House of flying daggers - 02/22/05 11:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by all_indie:
D-thanks for the compliment. Im suprised that you've heard of them. Not that many people that I talk to have heard or seen them all. Which one out of palm pictures is your favorite? For action obviously Purple Butterfly is great but for my top list I would have to go with Last Life in the Universe[/QUOTE]

I would have to agree with you again. "Last Life" is actually one of my favorite movies ever. Not too many people "get it" it would seem. Everything in it just gets to me though. From the sound of the breeze and the ocean, to the minimalistic soundtrack, to the monologue voices, long still shots, and color choices. It's saturated with the gorgeous, dreamy, decaying, and introspective at the same time.
Very good. There are similar aethetic themes in Bright Future, which I like very much as well.

As for knowing foreign film, I've worked in and with the industry for many years now, and was fortunate enough to be introduced to quality cinema long ago. It's really quite enriching, and I recommend it to everyone. But watch out, you may never be satisfied with a hollywood-mega-action-special-effects-blockbuster-smash-fest again.

Re: House of flying daggers - 03/02/05 01:32 PM

HOFD...the fight scenes were amazing, I have to admit. However, the storyline didnt make sense in the least...I dont know what most of you people [above me] are talking about.

[SPOILER]

I mean, why would she try and kill her lover in the beginning at the Peony Pavilion if he was a member of the HOFD anyway? And why would he set that elaborate scheme with Jin (Was that his name? The character Takeshi played) to pretend to rescue her so she could lead them back to the main HQ, if Mei and Leo were already in cahoots? I mean, what would be the purpose of leading Jin to the HQ, unless they specifically targeted him out to kill him - which makes no sense, because Leo, in his position in the Government, could've easily executed him anyway without all the hassle (In the Peony Pavilion when Jin was arrested, Leo could've executed him THERE, but he didnt)? The storyline blows...

But the movie is still pretty good nevertheless.

Re: House of flying daggers - 03/08/05 04:43 PM

Bright Futures came out on DVD today so I will be busy watching that all night. I am going to watch it tonight with a group of my friends then we are going to go out to the local dive bar and discuss it since its been awhile since we last saw it.