The Last Samurai

Posted by: Xacklir

The Last Samurai - 05/16/04 09:16 PM

not sure if this goes here but im putting it here anyway. What did everyone think of that movie? was it historically correct? (im wondering) or was it exaggerated or incorrect....and did the Japanese actually kill off all their own Samurai? I thought the movie was good.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: The Last Samurai - 05/23/04 05:17 PM

I'm pretty sure the movie was loosely based on a man named Saigo. He was one of the advisors to the newly restored emperor meiji. He didn't believe that japan should be westernized. He recomended an invasion of korea. He staged a revolution and died in a last stand(im paraphrasing).
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: The Last Samurai - 05/23/04 05:20 PM

The new goverment didnt"kill off all their samurai". they reassigned the willing to new, buracratic positions. Those who werent were given stipends. i might be mistaken.
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: The Last Samurai - 05/24/04 05:55 AM

killing off their own samurai by this do you mean where they were asked to commit sepuku, where the samurai cuts his stomach with a knife when the pain is too much his head is removed
samurais were asked to commit sepuku if they had done something wrong of if their master had died etc