Ong Bak

Posted by: Syrio

Ong Bak - 03/15/04 05:50 PM

It's Thai, it's incredible, find it and watch it as soon as you are physically able. You can view the trailer here: http://www.europacorp.com/Medias/Films/Videos/ongbak/t_ob_qhd.mov
Posted by: jungleKing

Re: Ong Bak - 03/16/04 08:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Syrio:
It's Thai, it's incredible, find it and watch it as soon as you are physically able. You can view the trailer here: http://www.europacorp.com/Medias/Films/Videos/ongbak/t_ob_qhd.mov [/QUOTE]

I've seen it about a month ago. A great movie indeed.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Ong Bak - 03/16/04 02:12 PM

Yeah, I've heard good things about it. I believe that the version soon to be released over here will be a 2 disc DVD with a ton of extras - sounds good.

Re: Ong Bak - 07/21/04 03:09 PM

Ong-Bak finally gets US nationwide release in NOV!
Here's a cool review I found:
There is a scene in Ong-Bak where the hero, Ting, kicks a bad guy out of a second-story plate-glass window, then jumps out after him and delivers several pummeling blows to the guy's chest while still in free-fall. At another point, Ting does cartwheels over a wok full of boiling grease and a flouring table without touching anything. And at yet another, he evades a whole gang of enemies by simply jumping up on their shoulders and running out of the room across the tops of their heads. And then there's a scene where Ting fights with his legs on fire. And...

Ong-Bak has the thinnest possible excuse for a plot, characters with all the dimension of something die-cut from the back of a cereal box, and eminently unquotable dialogue. And none of that matters, because the movie is just a clothesline for the most flabbergasting physical stunts attempted on film since Drunken Master II. When Ong-Bak had its North American premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival as part of its Midnight Madness program, the audience gave it a standing ovation—something no other film in the 16-year history of the program had ever received. Me? I grinned like an idiot all the way through. You want meaning and social significance, go watch Ikiru.
Posted by: Syrio

Re: Ong Bak - 07/21/04 11:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by azngirl:
Ong-Bak finally gets US nationwide release in NOV!
Here's a cool review I found:
There is a scene in Ong-Bak where the hero, Ting, kicks a bad guy out of a second-story plate-glass window, then jumps out after him and delivers several pummeling blows to the guy's chest while still in free-fall. At another point, Ting does cartwheels over a wok full of boiling grease and a flouring table without touching anything. And at yet another, he evades a whole gang of enemies by simply jumping up on their shoulders and running out of the room across the tops of their heads. And then there's a scene where Ting fights with his legs on fire. And...

Ong-Bak has the thinnest possible excuse for a plot, characters with all the dimension of something die-cut from the back of a cereal box, and eminently unquotable dialogue. And none of that matters, because the movie is just a clothesline for the most flabbergasting physical stunts attempted on film since Drunken Master II. When Ong-Bak had its North American premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival as part of its Midnight Madness program, the audience gave it a standing ovation—something no other film in the 16-year history of the program had ever received. Me? I grinned like an idiot all the way through. You want meaning and social significance, go watch Ikiru.
[/QUOTE]

I agree wholeheartedly!

[This message has been edited by Syrio (edited 07-21-2004).]

Re: Ong Bak - 10/02/04 01:11 AM

Great movie... have to admit it. Contains a lot of fighting skills and catches ppl heart! a movie worth watching =)
Posted by: trevek

Re: Ong Bak - 05/22/05 12:04 PM

I loved it, but why when he was fighting in the club and on streets did he look like a karate/tkd guy while when he fought the burmese guy in the cave he looked like a muay thai boxer. Are there different ways of fighting in MT?
Posted by: Rumble

Re: Ong Bak - 05/28/05 03:51 AM

Thats one of the best new martial arts movie I have seen in a long time good action and story from start to finish. Some of the best fighting and acrobatic scened could give Jackie Chan and Jet Li a run for there money. The best effect in the movie was when he did his spinning hurricane FIRE kick that was cool.
Posted by: madmattg

Re: Ong Bak - 06/19/05 01:22 AM

I personally hated it. The fights were so fake. Jumping double elbows. Come on?

Same week, MA movies, the quality has long gone.
Posted by: RedGaloper

Re: Ong Bak - 07/26/05 01:12 AM

What i have found from reading some articles is that:

The main characters real name is toni jaa. He did stunts originally and was quite good. He knows Muay Thai and I believe it said Wushu.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: Ong Bak - 07/26/05 06:22 AM

The fights were fake??

ITS A FILM! Do you have any idea how crap a real fight looks on camera?
Its got stunts, and cool moven and excellent athletisism. In a real fight you wouldnt use not half the techniques that you know, but that would make a pretty crap film and you would make a pretty crap director!
Posted by: Ares278

Re: Ong Bak - 08/09/05 03:38 PM

I personaly didnt like it that much. The fights were average and the stunts were ok(considering he did it all by himself without any wires or CGI)and the plot is about as original and itelligent(evan i knew what was going on the first time i saw it and it was in thai) as Tony Blair's pro war speach.