Kill Bill?!

Posted by: Syrio

Kill Bill?! - 10/23/03 08:05 AM

Has no one seen Kill Bill?! I've been waiting for almost two weeks for that movie to be brought up in discussion here. Frankly, the whole lot of you dissappoint me!

Seriously though, if you haven't seen it, go see it, then come back here and talk about it.

Warning: This movie is not for everyone (e.g. the easily offended, the queasy, those that fought in WWII, small children...)
Posted by: TomDaggers

Re: Kill Bill?! - 10/24/03 07:17 AM

I saw Kill Bill the other day and thought it was the most fantastic film iv ever seen. critics blame tarantino for not using enough of his patent dialogue throughout the film. i think that it worked without just fine. the beauty of the film is in the camera angles, the music and of course the fantastic fight scenes. if youve not seen it then do. peace
Posted by: owlsfan

Re: Kill Bill?! - 10/26/03 06:24 AM

I'm off to see it next week [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: bulletproofalice

Re: Kill Bill?! - 11/23/03 10:42 AM

Kill Bill is a brilliant movie. Uma Thurman rocks, Tarantino's trademark intertextuality is a joy, the fight scenes are both balletic and hilarious, the humour is by turn black and sophisticated (a Japanese all-girl surf-punk band, anyone?) and the soundtrack's to die for.

I'm in a frenzy of excitement about the next installment already. Anyone know when it comes out?

bang bang, he shot me down, bang bang, I hit the ground......
Posted by: Ozmo

Re: Kill Bill?! - 12/23/03 10:54 AM

I suppose I'm a rarity in this matter as well, but I disliked Kill Bill very much. It was filled with stuff that didn't make sense, the fight coreography was dreadfully unrealistic and I'm not really a big fan of the "live action anime" style.

Before I get jumped on by a dozen fans, yes I know it was intentionally done like it was. I know that's Tarantino's style and lot of people like it very much, but I don't. My experience with actual martial arts has lead me to strongly dislike the so called "Hollywood realism".

Not that it was all bad though, I really liked some of the witty comments and it's always nice to look at kimonos. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Kill Bill?! - 12/25/03 05:37 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ozmo:
I suppose I'm a rarity in this matter as well, but I disliked Kill Bill very much. It was filled with stuff that didn't make sense, the fight coreography was dreadfully unrealistic and I'm not really a big fan of the "live action anime" style.

Before I get jumped on by a dozen fans, yes I know it was intentionally done like it was. I know that's Tarantino's style and lot of people like it very much, but I don't. My experience with actual martial arts has lead me to strongly dislike the so called "Hollywood realism".

Not that it was all bad though, I really liked some of the witty comments and it's always nice to look at kimonos. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
[/QUOTE]

My favorite was the fight between Vivica Fox and Uma because it was fairly brutal and straightforward, mroe realistic I guess. Ironically, it was also the least "martial artsy" sequence of the film.

This is not to say that I didn't enjoy the rest of them, but they were geared to a more selective crowd (esp. the Crazy 88).
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Kill Bill?! - 01/12/04 02:15 PM

Good film.
How can you not like a movie where the hero slices, dices then informs survivors that anything she hacked off them now belongs to her?
Posted by: swooph

Re: Kill Bill?! - 02/22/04 09:29 AM

I saw Kill Bill when it first came out, great film, but HOW much blood do they want to produce!! heh, good though! Can't wait for the next one either....
Posted by: Jason

Re: Kill Bill?! - 05/01/04 06:43 PM

Who is this 'famous Gordion Liu" in Kill Bill....he seems to be Chinese....is he actually one of the best martial arts guys alive and what exactly kind of MA does he practice in? There seemed to be elements of Jeet K D in his style????

Re: Kill Bill?! - 05/02/04 08:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason:
Who is this 'famous Gordion Liu" in Kill Bill....he seems to be Chinese....is he actually one of the best martial arts guys alive and what exactly kind of MA does he practice in? There seemed to be elements of Jeet K D in his style????[/QUOTE]

Re: Kill Bill?! - 05/02/04 08:30 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason:
Who is this 'famous Gordion Liu" in Kill Bill....he seems to be Chinese....is he actually one of the best martial arts guys alive and what exactly kind of MA does he practice in? There seemed to be elements of Jeet K D in his style????[/QUOTE]

Old kung fu film actor, early 70s. He was very prominent during that period, particularly for the popular (and brilliant) Master Killer, aka 36 Chambers.

He's not known for any practical martial ability, just his screen presence.

Re: Kill Bill?! - 05/23/04 05:06 PM

Anyone seen the second installment? If, so do any of you know what Pai Mei exploding heart technique called?

Re: Kill Bill?! - 05/24/04 02:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Martial Warrior:
Anyone seen the second installment? If, so do any of you know what Pai Mei exploding heart technique called?[/QUOTE]

The deadly five point palm exploding heart technique.

Re: Kill Bill?! - 07/07/04 06:13 AM

The movie is absolutely ace is the coolest that iv'e seen in a long time it was well worth watching.to any one else out there its well worth watching.

regards
e.m.b

Re: Kill Bill?! - 08/04/04 11:54 PM

great movie with some good looking actresses [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] also good choreography and even though the blood was so dramatized, it was kinda kool in its own way.

also i have heard that in japan there was a real blacksmith who stopped crafting all blades for fear of another Battle of Sekigahara.

Re: Kill Bill?! - 11/12/04 09:17 PM

kill bill is gross and amazing at the same time, I'm amazed by the fight between the bride and vivica fox, but I didn't like the scene where lucy liu sliced the head of a man then blood spurted everywhere! uk! my younger brother (19 years old, I'm 24 yrs old), almost puked at the scene! even though we're both martial artists, we dislike that scene because, I would personally think it's impossible to have a fountain of blood like that in real life. it's not realistic! it's exagerrated.

Re: Kill Bill?! - 11/18/04 01:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dane:
kill bill is gross and amazing at the same time, I'm amazed by the fight between the bride and vivica fox, but I didn't like the scene where lucy liu sliced the head of a man then blood spurted everywhere! uk! my younger brother (19 years old, I'm 24 yrs old), almost puked at the scene! even though we're both martial artists, we dislike that scene because, I would personally think it's impossible to have a fountain of blood like that in real life. it's not realistic! it's exagerrated.[/QUOTE]

Actually, severing the head does create a violently strong fountain of blood. Look up historical accounts of the guillotine's usage in France.

Now what is exagerrated is the spray when arms and legs are severed, especially when the Bride killed Sophie.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Kill Bill?! - 11/19/04 01:33 PM

I've long been a fan of the Japanese movies. Kill Bill I is fine. A better Japanese movie just became available on DVD, that of "Zatoishi, the blind swordsman", a modern 2003 version of the old series. The DVD even shows how the sword fighting theory behind the movie was created as well as has a 2nd flic that was mostly filmed in rural Okinawa, that one was a contemporary gangster one.

Victor Smith

Re: Kill Bill?! - 11/19/04 06:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Victor Smith:
I've long been a fan of the Japanese movies. Kill Bill I is fine. A better Japanese movie just became available on DVD, that of "Zatoishi, the blind swordsman", a modern 2003 version of the old series. The DVD even shows how the sword fighting theory behind the movie was created as well as has a 2nd flic that was mostly filmed in rural Okinawa, that one was a contemporary gangster one.

Victor Smith
[/QUOTE]

I've also heard that "Twilight Samurai" is one to watch, but I know very little about it and cannot seem to locate it here in the US.

Re: Kill Bill?! - 03/09/05 01:08 AM

I liked KILL BILL Vol. #1, and #2 (save the training scene with Gordon Liu) doesn't exist to me at all. Now did I think KB was a great flick? NOPE!, knowing all of the films that he used to basically make is concoction kinda' ruined it for me. Especially "The House of Blue Leaves" fight scene that was basically a slight re-make of the final 10 minutes of the 1947 Kihachi Okatmoto Samurai film w. Tatsuya Nakadai called Sword of Doom... where that dude literally slices up 78 other Samurai and is still going as the end credit role despite the fact he's dying. Thus I think of KILL BILL in a very love/hate kind of way.
Posted by: Otto_McNab

Re: Kill Bill?! - 05/10/05 02:07 PM

Brilliant movies which pay homage to past classics.