My favorate martial arts film is?

Posted by: Chris Caile

My favorate martial arts film is? - 08/11/00 03:45 PM

What is your favorate martial arts film and why? And what is your opinion on some of the Japanese films like "The Seven Samurai" or classic Samurai films? We will also be reviewing current martial releases and want to know you opinions too.
Posted by: Shihan

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 04/29/01 04:00 PM

I turned Sensei's Scott Kelly, Scott Hager, and Tom Wilder on to "The Challenge", with Scott Glenn and Toshiro Mifune for the first time today. I had not watched it in several years. It is OK as a movie, and the waza is passable (Steve Seagal was the technical advisor, before he became FAMOUS).

It was one of the first movies that I saw where I could recognize Aikido waza being used. It has a nice "big fight finale", but gets a little stretchy for the brain cells when fledging Aikidoka Glenn becomes an overnight badass and swordsman. What da heck, it is Hollywood. It was the first time seeing the movie since we were in Osaka, and it brought back memories from wandering the streets there looking for the Seishin Kai Hombu.
Posted by: MrVigerous

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 08/17/01 06:38 AM

So many to choose from.....hmm..I always quite liked the first two "Best of the Best"
films, primarily because of Philip Rhee's (playing Tommy Lee)speed and kicking ability.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 08/17/01 01:58 PM

Hi Christopher,

Well my favorite movies include:

Jet Li's "Tai Chi Master" for intense insane action, and Jet Li's "Fist of Legend" in which I believe he uses unique responses against every attack in the film.

Regarding the Seven Samauri, it is an unquestionable masterpiece. I belive it shows a more honest view of actual sword combat for most participants, and it is an incredible study in strategy.

On the whole the Japanese often use incredible cinematography in their films. Photographing incredible beauty.

Among the Janpanese efforts of renown, the entire Lone Wolf and Cub series and versions.

But the list is so incredible.

How about starting with that incredible American Martial Artist, James Cagney in his very early "Blood on the Sun", where he uses his Judo training (and a big assist from the Neisei community in the camps) to create the earliest martial masterpiece.

Then for sheer fun why not Jackie Chan's series of movies, or Bruce Lee's movies. Or why not the entire series of kung fu flics with a lot of popcorn too.

I'm a big MA movie fan.

Keep those ninja and chops flying!

Victor Smith
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/03/01 09:33 PM

Allright I'm going to go a little old school here but for my money nothing could touch

"Kill or Be Killed"
and
"Kill and Kill Again"

Starring south african martial artist
James Ryan

The absolute worst acting of any martial arts film(except maybe No Surrender, No Retreat or whatever), but great hard core karate fights. Also its based in a perfect world where even the mailman knows karate.

All for now!

Scott
Posted by: Nick B

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/05/01 09:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kempoman:
Allright I'm going to go a little old school here but for my money nothing could touch

"Kill or Be Killed"
and
"Kill and Kill Again"

Starring south african martial artist
James Ryan

The absolute worst acting of any martial arts film(except maybe No Surrender, No Retreat or whatever), but great hard core karate fights. Also its based in a perfect world where even the mailman knows karate.

All for now!

Scott
[/QUOTE]

Just seen Rush Hour 2 with Jackie Chan. Some great action and also it is hilarious, well worth the price of admission.
Posted by: P Carney

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/06/01 08:12 AM

Let's see-
"Fist of Legend" w/Jet Li. Great film, I especially like the way Li switches styles throughout the film.

"Legend of Drunken Master" (originally Drunken Master 2) w/Jackie Chan. Good fight scenes, funny stuff- Chan in his prime.

"Rapid Fire" w/Brandon Lee. The boy knew his stuff, some great fights.

Of course, I love just about any older HK kung fu film- more for the unintentional humor then the fights.

Can't stand the American Kickboxing movies (Chuck Norris is/was a great fighter, but made lame movies).

That's just my 2 cents.
Posted by: sanseiryu

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 10/15/01 02:36 PM

With the acceptance of Crouching Tiger as a quality "kung fu film", the doors are soon to be opened wide to an enormous influx of Hong Kong features with quality in the action performance that hopefully will put to rest the horrible and laughable "chop socky" films from the '70's. Just saw Iron Monkey this weekend and although it was filmed in 1993, the action and fighting sequences, better than Crouching Tiger, are great and although subtitled, was translated very well and with a great sense of humor. Very funny dialogue.Go see it!
George Yanase
Posted by: JabonnF

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 10/25/01 09:05 AM

My vote is for "Five Deadly Venoms" Chaing Sheng, Lu Feng, Wei Pai, Sun Shein, Lo Meng, and Kuo Chui.

Each an expert in his own leathal combat style: The Centipede, The Sanke, The Scorpion, The Lizard and The Toad.

This is one of my all time favorite kung fu flicks.
Posted by: ringside_mike

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 12/21/01 01:08 AM

Oh, man. My brothers, you have all been deprived, it seems to me. Akira Kurosawa was by far the finest director of eastern films, but his work was not and should not be categorized in with Martial Arts films. 3 very good martial arts films are: Last Hurrah for Chivalry with Damian Lau, Shaolin Kids with Jet Li, and Master Killer with Gordon Liu (or Enter the 36 Chambers). These are films which are hot on action, drama, and less on fluff like the horrible story we'd all like to forget (Crouching....)
Posted by: SenseiTank

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/25/02 12:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris Caile:
What is your favorate martial arts film and why? And what is your opinion on some of the Japanese films like "The Seven Samurai" or classic Samurai films? We will also be reviewing current martial releases and want to know you opinions too.[/QUOTE]
Posted by: SenseiTank

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/25/02 12:48 PM

OOPS!!! I messed up... here goes again...

I truly enjoyed Fist of Legend as well as all Jet Li films...
The martial arts displayed in
Mad Monkey Kung-Fu
Disciples of the 36th chamber
Legendary weapons of China
My Young Auntie
are by far the greatest i`ve ever seen!

Kurosawa Akira is(was?) a genius!!!

Mifune is probably the greatest actor in history. No one could have done Sanjuro and Yojimbo the way he did.

The film that stirs my emotions the most though is EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER with Gordon Liu. The scene when Madam Yang discovers that her husband was killed in battle and the reaction of the cast brings tears to my eyes every damn time!!!

Although the martial arts was not to my liking, the BEST OF THE BEST(first one only) was one beautiful film!!!

Tank
Posted by: mwa15

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 11/01/02 11:02 AM

In no particular order...

1. Twin Warriors [a.k.a. Tai Chi Master] (Jet Li)
2. Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
3. Once Upon a Time in China 2 (Jet Li)
4. Drunken Master (Jackie Chan)
5. Iron Monkey (Donnie Yen)
6. Enter the Dragon (Bruce Lee)
7. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (Chow Yun Fat)
8. Once Upon a Time in China (Jet Li)
9. Magnificent Butcher (Sammo Hung)
10. Fist of Fury (Bruce Lee)

[This message has been edited by mwa15 (edited 11-26-2002).]
Posted by: Skull

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 11/27/02 11:59 PM

Let me say first that I do not practice martial arts, and some of you may laugh at me for saying this, but you have to do yourself a favor and see Master of the Flying Guillotine! Yes, there are special effects; i.e. a man who can walk on walls and ceilings and a man who can stretch his arms out to twice their length. If that sounds lame to you, see it anyway. There's also a really good Thai kickboxer and Jimmy Wang Yu, the director, plays a one-armed boxer. If you only want a pure demonstration of fighting, see Bruce Lee's final (unfinished) film: The Game of Death. He takes on an escrima master, a Jujitsu master (I may be wrong about that-something with grappling) and finally Kareem Abdul-Jabar doing Jeet Kune Do.
Posted by: Mun

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 12/02/02 11:05 AM

my favourite martial arts film is the mega-unrealistic "MORTAL KOMBAT"

i simply love this movie.. ive even played all its games (well most of em)

and watched MK 1 and 2 and expecting 3 to be released
Posted by: Shawk

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 12/14/02 12:50 AM

Master Killer

The Yakuza with Robert Mitchum...the swordsmen are the real deal....

Although not martial arts movies some of the realistic fight scenes:

Gross Pointe Blank, courtesy of Benny the Jet
Roadhouse, also courtesy of Benny the jet
Posted by: MattW

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 12/26/02 03:27 PM

I think a lot of Mortal Kombat was ripped from Enter the Dragon. Watch one after the other and you'll see what I mean.
Posted by: Jamoni

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 02/18/03 07:37 PM

Kurosawa films NOT martial arts? huh?
Not Dodeskaden, sure, but seven samurai? yojimbo?sanjuro? Those who tread? c'mon! just cause no one flies or spits acid doesnt mean it's not MA!
But, best MA movie?
the starwars trilogy.
Posted by: mark

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 03/08/03 06:06 AM

i bet no one has ever seen:-

DRAGON FORCE

just a P*ss take really, so funny, exploding ninjas, and the funniest headbut in the movies.......

And how about " a fist full of yen" in the film Kentucky fried movie?

"YOU HAVE OUR GRATITUDE!"

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 03/08/03 08:21 PM

Exploding Ninjas? Didn't they tour with Motley Crue?
Has anyone ever seen the movie "Dead Alive"?
It's a horror movie with a Kung Fu Catholic Priest who fights zombies, and "Kicks ass for the lord"!
Posted by: Mun

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 03/31/03 01:23 PM

What do you people think of the most recent jackie Chan and Jet lee movies. I think that they're pretty damn good
Posted by: taebot

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 03/31/03 02:51 PM

Jackie Chan just keeps getting better. I loved Shanghai Noon...

The Duel is very good.

Best all-time martial arts movie?

Roadhouse.
Posted by: Toudiyama

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 04/17/03 07:41 AM

I use to like those japanese karate movies like lady karate and the karatebullfighter because the karate is more realistic

worst one was Karate olympiade (I copied that one because it was cult/camp)
Posted by: tong po

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/18/03 02:24 PM

not in any perticualar order

1. kickboxer( van damn)
2. showdown in little tokyo
(dolph lundgren/brandon lee)
3. enter the dragon (bruce lee)
4. the street fighter ( sonney chiba)
5. street fighter ( van damn)
6. mortal kombat
( robin shou,chris cassamassa)
7. kickboxer 4 ( sasha mitchell)
8. rumble in he bronx ( jackie chan)
9. bloodsport( van damn)
10. out for justice ( segaul)
11. best of the best
( simon and phillip rhee)

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/19/03 08:22 PM

COACH! COACH, HE'S GONNA KILL HIM!!
NO! TOMMY, NO!
Posted by: joesixpack

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/20/03 07:01 AM

No retreat, no surrender.

If you can't work out WHY, yeah, that's the reason.

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/20/03 07:05 AM

Actually, an Austrlian movie "The Man from Hong Kong" with George Lazenby
Posted by: Corruptor

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/26/03 05:04 PM

I have quite a few and they are in no particular order.

1)Bloodsport(JCVD)
2)Kickboxer(JCVD)
3)Heatseeker(Gary Daniels & Keith Cooke)
4)Best Of The Best 1/2 (Philip & Simon Rhee)
5)Mortal Kombat 1(Keith Cooke-Reptile)
6)Mortal Kombat 2(Keith Cooke-Sub Zeros Brother)
7)Enter The Dragon(Bruce Lee)
8)Once Upon A Time In China(Jet Li)
9)Bloodsport 2(Ron Hall-Cliff)
10)Only The Strong(Mark Dacascos)
11)Redemption(Mark Dacascos)

My list could go on for ever but here are some of my favourites. And as far as the Seven Samurais go well that was a great classic.

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/27/03 01:46 AM

I hope you only like kickboxer and best of the best for camp humor
Posted by: Sweeney

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 07/20/03 03:00 PM

Ghost Dog with Forest Whitaker. It's a reasonably credible story about a true samurai following the Bushido code in a modern setting, with an interesting culture clash. Not the usual flashy Hollywood fight choreography, but a lot of truth behind the scenes...

[This message has been edited by Sweeney (edited 08-23-2003).]
Posted by: JohnL

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 07/23/03 12:23 PM

Don't normally look at this section, but will confess to having enjoyed Blind Fury.

JohnL
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 07/23/03 01:02 PM

Masseur Ichi movies, whole series.
Kurosawa movies-Yojimbo, Seven Samurai,Hidden Fortress(one they ripped off for Star Wars)
Jacki Chan-come on who doesn't love the title "Half a loaf of kung fu"
"Gladiator"-the boxing film,not the big budget Russel Crowe movie
Posted by: wrwakefi

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 08/26/03 09:37 AM

The Perfect WEapon - Jeff Speakman. CLASSIC!
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 08/26/03 09:29 PM

Top 6 that are pretty much equal:

1) Twin Warriors
2) Big Trouble Little China (Total cult film)
3) The Hunted (w/ Chris Lampert)
4) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Who can deny this one!)
5) The Perfect Weapon
6) American Ninja

[This message has been edited by Raul Perez (edited 08-26-2003).]
Posted by: HeadlessHorseman

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 08/26/03 09:35 PM

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Great fight scenes with the Hessian and some of the mortals...
Posted by: Syrio

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/02/03 10:20 AM

Zatoichi, the Blind Swordsman
Posted by: Doughnut

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/08/03 01:05 AM

STAR WARS SERIES
JACKIE CHAN MOVIES
GHOST DOG
ROADHOUSE
BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA TOWN
CROUCHING T Hidden D
GROSE POINT BLANK
SEVEN SAMURRI
the MANCHURIAN CANIDATE( FRANK SINATTRA, fu fighting!)
Posted by: xerxes

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/12/03 04:20 PM

not necessarily my favorite but one that most of you probably never heard of:

The Duellists

directed by Ridley Scott( he directed Alien, Legend, etc)
Posted by: roundhouser

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 10/04/03 02:43 AM

here's my top 10 : (basically equal)
1.way of the dragon-bruce lee
2.cradle 2 the grave-jet li
3.romeo must die-jet li
4.kiss of the dragon-jet li
5.enter the dragon-bruce lee
6.american ninja 1,2,3,4,5
7.big boss-bruce lee
8.game of death 1,2-bruce lee
9.and most jean claude van damme ones
10.the one-jet li
11.best of the best-phillip rhee

[This message has been edited by roundhouser (edited 10-04-2003).]

Posted by: matthaios

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 11/06/03 07:55 PM

Does anyone think Gladiator or Matrix count and if so are worth mentioning?
Posted by: Anthony Hardwick

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 11/14/03 07:29 PM

Sword of Doom is an incredible "Samurai" film. Not made by Kurosawa, but every bit as masterfully crafted. It's beautifully photographed as well. Toshiro Mifune has a great cameo in it.

It can be hard to find, but a search on the web should find it. Trust me, it's worth finding if you've never seen it.
Posted by: nindz

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 11/21/03 06:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Skull:
If you only want a pure demonstration of fighting, see Bruce Lee's final (unfinished) film: The Game of Death. He takes on an escrima master, a Jujitsu master (I may be wrong about that-something with grappling) and finally Kareem Abdul-Jabar doing Jeet Kune Do. [/QUOTE]

Yea the second fighter was a hapkido master.

My favourite films are the old kung fu films...true choreography, brilliant movement and the time spent making these scenes are brilliant.

I like:
Ninja in the dragons den (Hiroyuki sanada)
Fearless Hyena (Jackie Chan)

i'll list the rest later

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 11/29/03 09:23 PM

The American Ninja Series, hoo boy. Anyone else notice the "Secret Ninja Hiding Place" in these flicks? Whenever a ninja is in a bad spot, he inevitably reaches around BEHIND him, in the region of his posterior, and pulls out a weapon of some sort which was previously unseen. Examples include the black guy ninja pulling two butterfly swords from his butt, the white blond ninja pulling a limpet mine from his arse (while wearing only a speedo. shudder), and the bad guy shirtless ninja yanking a sawed off shotgun out of his a-hole. Those ninjas, YEARS of training. RIGOROUS self discipline. GRUELING colon-stretching.
Posted by: Hogtooth

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 12/26/03 09:00 PM

Barry Gordy's "The Last Dragon" Sho Nuff!!!!!
Posted by: kingbsa

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/10/04 01:53 PM

heres 5 good ones
1 bloodsport(jcvd)
2 enter the dragon(bruce lee)
3 drunken master(jackie chan)
4 snake and crane(jackie chan)
5 the octagon(chuck norris)
not a big fan of the new stuff but jet lei's ''the one'' is quite good

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/15/04 11:09 PM

first tops is the last samuari. it actually goes into the philosophy and honor of the martial arts way. second would be Bullet proof monk followed by Bloodsport, Best of the best and Crouching tiger.
Posted by: mateo

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/20/04 09:13 PM

Chris,

You may have found, as I have, when talking to older martial arts practitioners, both here and in Japan, that SUGATA SANSHIRO inspired many practitioners to begin their budo practise.

I still watch this film fairly often. It took me a while before I understood the lesson in sincerity rather than just compassion that Sanshiro receives when the zen priest forces him to have his 'small satori' with the obligatory 'whack'( to borrow an expression from Van De Wetering ).

I really wish that I could see one of the later versions which Kurosawa reworked the script for, but I never came across it in Japan.

Incidentally, the father of a certain Peter, whom we both know in Osaka, was inspired into a lifelong judo practise by this film.

Matthew Rogers

[This message has been edited by mateo (edited 05-24-2004).]
Posted by: TDJACK

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/24/04 03:19 PM

Twilght Samurai. No wires, no bull. It is very close to some parts of Ryoma's life. There are only three fight scenes in the movie.
Posted by: Anpadh

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 06/10/04 03:06 PM

Nobody seems to have mentioned the three (maybe 4 by now) "Once Upon a Time in China" movies. I loved those, especially the first one. Also, there is an old movie, whose name I cannot remember, in which an American guy ends up cutting off his little finger, at the end of the movie, as an apology to his Japanese friend. It isn't exactly a martial arts movie the way "Enter the Dragon" is, but still an interesting perspective on marital arts.
Posted by: ken harding

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 06/28/04 06:33 AM

Anpadh - the movie is "Yakuza" with Robert Mitchum slicing off the digit. It's one of my favourite films ever!

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 07/13/04 09:26 AM

Ken,

Thanks for reminding me of the name. Also, would you happen to know if "Enter the 36th Chamber" and "The 36th Chamber of Shaollin" are the same movie or different? And do you know the stars of the movie(s)?
Posted by: JohnL

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 07/13/04 12:29 PM

Hi Anpadh:

I believe Robert Mitchum's co-star in Yakuza was Ken Takahura.

JohnL

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 07/14/04 09:54 AM

JohnL,

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. However, my question was in regard to the stars of "36th Chamber of Shaolin" and "Enter the 36th Chamber." Also, I am not sure if the two are different movies or the same movie under different names in different markets.

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 07/17/04 06:57 PM

Old School
1. Five Deadly Venoms
2. Master of the Flying Gillotine
3. Drunken Master 1&2
4. Fist if Fury
5. Enter The Dragon
6. Master Killer
7. Chinese Connection
8. Project A
9. Return of the Dragon
10.Tai Chi II
11.Street Fighter

Semi Old School
1. Best of the Best
2. Twin Warriors
3. The Guiver 1&2
4. Blood Sport
5. Kickboxer
6. Revenge of the Ninja
7. Fist of the North Star (live action)
8. Fist of the North Star (animated)
9. The Perfect Weapon (Jeff Speakman)
10.Street Fighter 2V (animated)
11.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1,2,3
12.Power Ranger Movie

New School
1. Croutching Tiger Hidden Dragon
2. Cradle to the grave
3. Gorgeous
4. The Quest
5. The One
6. Kiss of the Dragon
7. Fist of Legend
8. Rumble in the Bronx
9. Mr. Niceguy
10.Who am I

[This message has been edited by Zatoichi (edited 07-18-2004).]

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 07/20/04 04:23 AM

The Mtrix is by far the best trilogy ever!

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 07/20/04 06:30 AM

Who can forget

Sword of Bushido
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098422/

Hero From Beyond The End of Time
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108542/

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 07/22/04 03:12 AM

bloodsport
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 08/02/04 05:01 PM

Jackie Chan went to Northern China once to learn an ancient technique from some Monks. To learn this style he had to sign a contract that he himself would never portray it on film. So Jackie goes, learns, then teaches this style to several other Martial artists. Some of higher rank than himself. Then he goes on to direct this film, his first directed film ever, he does not star in it, but it was phenomenal. The film was The Thirty Six Crazy Fists.

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/07/04 08:46 PM

In no particular order

Kung Pow!: Enter the fist
TMNT 1-3
Surf Ninjas
Chinese Connection
Return of the Dragon
Rage of the Master
Kickboxer
Wang Yu, King of Boxing aka Screaming Ninja
Matrix 1-3
The Last Samurai
Mortal Kombat (the first not the second)
The Karate Kid (the first one)
Highlander (There can be only one!!!)
Kill Bill 1 and 2
Street Fighter: The animated movie.
Samurai Jack (YES I ADMIT IT!!!! OK!!!)

thats all I can think of.

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 10/02/04 01:05 AM

My favorite would be Mortal Kombat!!! Well it's a very good movie with a lot of martial arts move and worth wacthing! =)

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 11/12/04 08:56 PM

I have several favorite martial arts films:
Jet Li's "The One"-because of the multiverses and the cool martial arts scene
Jet Li's "Romeo must Die"-cool martial arts scene
Jackie Chan's "Jackie Chan's First Strike"-funny and great martial arts scene
Jackie Chan's "The Medallion"-funny and really fast martial arts scene
Jackie Chan's "Rush Hour"-funny
Don Wilson's "Bloodfist III"-action packed
Ralph Macchio's "The Karate Kid"-inspiring
Paolo Montalban's "Mortal Kombat:Konquest" (TV Series)-action packed
Frankie Muniz's "Agent Cody Banks"-funny, romantic, espionage
Chow Yun Fat's "Bulletproof Monk"-action packed
Chow Yun Fat's "Crouching tiger, Hidden dragon"

[This message has been edited by dane (edited 11-12-2004).]

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 12/02/04 10:09 AM

Judo genius !Forever!My first film!

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 12/02/04 11:42 PM

No particular order, either...

1) Kung Pow: Enter the Fist -- I refused to see it...looked terrible in the previews. Roommate had a free rental, we got and I thought it was the funniest thing I'd seen since UHF...and that's saying something. Loved it.

2) Chinese Connection -- So he has a strange obsession with his teacher. But at least he can kick butt...what's up with those pesky Karate guys always causing trouble?

3) Kiss of the Dragon -- So it had Bridgett Fonda...the killer fight scenes make up for it. Saw it in theaters twice.

4) Karate Kid -- Got me started. Still a great movie. As a side note, I listen to everything the Cobra Kais say...True: If a man can't see, he can't fight, if a man can't breath he can't fight, and if a man can't stand, he can't fight. Honor, schmonor...mercy *is* for the weak.

5) Beverly Hills Ninja -- Come on, how can you not laugh when Chris Farely says, "I am Haru."

6) Bloodsport -- Back-to-back fight scenes without much of that pesky acting. Wow, sounds like a porno movie...with a bad montage half-way through. Hey, it's not as bad as Kickboxer...and all the other movies Van Damme did. And even if it was unintentional, it was funny.

Matt
Posted by: Alejandro

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 12/03/04 10:46 AM

Jacki:

-Police Story
Craziest stunts, some of his fastest and most intense fights; he was in his prime!

-Supercop
Great for same reasons; later than Police Story (Its actually police story 3), so his fight dynamics were beginning to change.

-The Legend of Drunken Master
Perhaps the best; some of the best group fights ever.

-Wheels on Meals/Dragon Forever
Both low budget, corny, and hard to find, but both (especially W on M) have and AMAZING fight between Jackie and Benny Urquidez. Easily the best one-on-one fight EVER! No wires, just inhuman craziness! Both also have Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao, and altogether they have great chemistry.

Jet LI:

-Fist of Legend
Arguably his best

-Once Upon in China
Actually an interesting story, great fights. Gotta love Yuen Biao as well!

Other:

-Enter the Dragon
-Bloodsport
-Only the Strong
-Best of the Best

I love all Kurosawa films, especially the Seven Samurai (which I recently saw)

Who has seen "Ran"? Apparently its an adaptation of King Lear, and looks phenomenal; I intend to check it out.

-Al

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 12/03/04 09:56 PM

I love Samurai Fiction! did anyone else see that movie? I have not seen it posted at all!

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 12/07/04 08:56 AM

I agree most Chuck Norris movies were bad but I loved Lone Wolf McQuade. The Billy Jack movies made me want to take this leg and kick that side of your face because there wasn't a damn thing you could do about it. Enter the Dragon--classic. Karate Kid I and II (didn't see III) had great life lessons. Mortal Kombat and The One were great sci-fi escapism. Especially like all those Samurai movies (IFC runs them every Saturday). And all time fave is Red Sun with Toshiro Mifune and Charles Bronson; cowboys, indians and samurai--Good Stuff!

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 12/09/04 01:51 PM

In no order-

The One- a little cheesy, but some great moments

Enter the Dragon- arguably the best MA movie ever made. "When death comes I won't even notice. I'll be to busy looking good."

Hero- It's artistic and the fight scenes are beautiful, if nothing else.

Seven Samurai- duh

The Legend of the Drunken master- Good action sequences, like most of Chan's stuff.

Last Samurai- For philosophy and metaphor for dying traditions.

The Chinese Connection- One of the best endings I've ever seen, and the fights in the dojo are BA.

Cowboy Bebop- Best hand-to-hand I've seen in animated work.

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 12/10/04 08:10 PM

To me Parodical(spelling????)Son is a good one by Jet Li. Somewhat blody. The fights seem good and even contain some humor and basic training. I'd liked it, but I dont aonyone has heard of it. Can be found at Video City In U.S. Not sure of other locations.

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 12/23/04 05:59 PM

My favorite Martial Art film is Dragon the Bruce Lee Story staring Jason Scott Lee as Bruce Lee while going through the Life of Bruce Lee I think it showed a remarkable showcase of martial arts, and I especially liked the way Jason Scott Lee learned Jeet Kune Do just for the role and the martial artist he fought, even know the movie is not jammed pack with action because it is not a action film it is more of a documentry it's fight scenes are nicely done and the film made me appreciate the life of Bruce Lee even more, if u chose to buy the movie buy the Dvd it haves comentary from linda Lee (Bruce Lee's Wife) about him, pictures of Bruce, cometary from the director on the concept of the movie and the way his story was expressed on film, this movie is a classic so be sure to check it out

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 01/01/05 12:22 AM

I guess you guys are messing something lol

THE MATRIX

THE MATRIX RELOADED

THE MATRIX REVOLUTION

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 01/04/05 11:20 PM

Equalibreum, not my favorite of all time but my favorite recent movie. I think its cool how they made a martial art out of guns fighting, it was a cool movie in my mind

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 01/09/05 01:45 AM

fist of legend... nuf said

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 01/10/05 02:49 AM

1) Twin Warriors
2) KIss of the dragon
3) Fists of fury
4) Way of the Samuria
5) Shaolin vs ninja (Absolutely hilarious!!!)

GET IT UP YA!!!

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 01/21/05 12:27 PM

My favorite martial arts movies are "the chinese connection" with bruce lee and "Above The law" with steven seagal

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 01/21/05 02:33 PM

In No particular order:

1. Only The Strong
2. Bloodsport
3. Kickboxer
4. Sidekicks
5. Fist Of Legend
6. Kiss Of The Dragon
7. Best Of The Best 1 & 2
8. Fist Of Fury
9. Beverly Hills Ninja
10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
11. Mortal Kombat 1
12. 3 Ninjas
13. Rapid Fire
14. The Karate Kid trilogy
15. Hard To Kill
16. Under Siege

Farely big list, but i love just about all karate movies, of course there are exeptions, when i dont like the movie at all!

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 01/21/05 02:58 PM

Napoleon Dynamite or Sanshuhiro Sugato.

oldman

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 01/26/05 09:19 AM

Not necessarily my favourite but I recently saw the seven samurai and loved it, especially for something that old.
The only thing is, my two friends watching it with me who are also martial artists both fell asleep! Can you believe it!?

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 02/02/05 10:09 AM

A couple of my favorites that havent hit here yet and a couple that have.

Drive - Mark Dacascos
Shaolin Vs Lama
Fist of the Northstar - Gary Daniels
Red Wolf
Ong Bak
Fist of Legend - Jet Li
Kid with the Golden Arms

There are many others but I guess those are some of my favs.

Forgot one, Angeltown with Olivier Gruner
Fastest hook kick/roundhouse combo I have ever seen.

[This message has been edited by RazorFoot (edited 02-03-2005).]

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 02/10/05 07:43 AM

Has anyone seen the movie "The Path beyond Thought" by Steven Segel? And if so is it any good? I am asking about the movie, don't hate on Segel, just tell me about the movie please.

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 02/17/05 07:08 AM

My best ma film has got to be bruce lees enter the dragon or the big boss. bruce lee is a legend

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 03/09/05 12:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris Caile:
What is your favorate martial arts film and why? And what is your opinion on some of the Japanese films like "The Seven Samurai" or classic Samurai films? We will also be reviewing current martial releases and want to know you opinions too.[/QUOTE]

I have several that would rate as my all time favorite, so I'll just list them with a brief explination.

01> Ching Wu & Shaolin Kung Fu
AKA: Bruce Le & Shaolin Kung Fu
AKA: Bruce vs. Black Dragon
***This was one of the very first Kung Fu films I ever saw as a kid, and it practically got me interested in the martial arts overall. It's not great comparing it to others in the yelling-out-loud-often-with-an-echo English Dubbing that added charm to the Kung Fu films of the 70's - 80's, and it WAS one of the films showcasing someone trying to be Bruce Lee... but none the less it's one of my faves. It involved a guy named Ching Ling who had to stop this angry Japanese General from closing all the Kung Fu schools in China during the 1930s. Bolo Yueng is in it doing some odd Monkey Style Karate. Film ends with Ching Ling being shot in the back as he decides to walk from Korea BACK TO CHINA!

Broken Oath
***Film classic with Angela Mao Ying. I saw this one as a kid late night around 1:30 on TBS and it stayed with me forever. With hindsight the plot looks to be a rip off of Meiko Kaiji's Lady Snowblood films, but I'm not entirely sure which film was made first.

Shaolin Master Killer
***Gordon Liu kicking major ass, but only after we get to go every step of the way in his rigorous training. Some of what the fighter's to be go through is just insane.

I have more, but those are the main three that stick out and have surivived the test of time with me.

[This message has been edited by Thunder Fist (edited 03-09-2005).]

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 03/13/05 10:59 AM

It's all about
1) Best of the Best
2) Gourgous
3) Who am I
4) Kiss of the Dragon
5) Ninja turtals 1( how did they move so well in those costumes)
6) Iron Monkey
7) Fist of Ledgon
8) Twin Warriors
9) Blood Sport
10) The Last samurai

This list is not in any paticular order.

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 03/15/05 02:13 PM

hmm ive seen one title of a very good movie aint in here
i dont say its the best ive seen but its really recommed >The Princess Blade< this title really sound cheesy but the movie is really good and if i got to say the best movies im will be typing to long so i aint gonna do that but this isnt really an martial arts movie it is japanese and lots off kills :d and the story seems wierd but it makes alot clear about life

who could forget

BATTLE ROYALE!!! (1&2) [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif[/IMG]

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 03/15/05 08:43 PM

not in a specific order

kiss of the dragon
- cause of that one move (needle in the neck)

kill bill vol. 1&2
last samurai
the 7 samurai
american ninja series
showdown in little tokyo

if the rocky series counts, then that aswell...particularly rocky 4
Posted by: Otto_McNab

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/10/05 01:58 PM

-Bourne Identity/Supremecy - not really MA films but very cool no-nonsense, efficient MA (Kali) fighting.

-Matrix - again not really a MA movie but has some very cool Kung fu fight seens

-Kill Bills - VERY COOL sword play.
Posted by: ron

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/10/05 03:35 PM

my favorite martial arts film is "hero" with jet li and donny yen.
Posted by: etaks86

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/12/05 03:22 AM

my favorate ma film would be... well i guess there's a few and here they are, fist of legend, twin warriors, blood sport, but there's more, return of the dragon, kiss of the dragon, best of the best 123&4, police story 1&2, mr. nice guy, drunken master, snake in eagles shadow, the master, young master, the one, art of snake and crane, china 123&4, and i've seen so many more but i guess my favorate would be fist of legend it's action is awesome and jet li really has style when it comes to martial arts in his movies which with his background in wushu is understandable. plus i think they added to the story in a good way.
Posted by: Cord

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/13/05 03:22 AM

Favourite MA Movie. Gonna cheat and give a few

For Dialogue and plot : 'The Silent Flute'

For 'wire-fu' : Iron Monkey (Donnie Yen version)

For Pure entertainment : Around the world in 80 Days

For Gritty comparative realism: The Hunted

For appalling acting (come on, you know you love it ) : Enter the Ninja

Best Samurai/chambara: Shogun assassin- i know purists will say the 'babycart series', but I prefer the american soundtrack- more atmospheric and the kids voice is cool

For pure 'wow' factor: The two Towers. I know it is not an eastern MA movie, but you cant get any more martial than 'Helms Deep', and it is the greatest movie battle ever filmed IMO
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/17/05 07:01 AM

Hope it's not too late to get in on this. I know it's kind of an old thread.

I have 4 favorite Martial Arts films. These are in no order. I watch them all over and over again, and have for many years.

Best of The Best 1&2 (I might be the one guy in the world that is a fan of Eric Roberts )

The Last Dragon (Shonuff now has a movie career, but where the hell did Taimak go )

Big Trouble in Little China (who hasn't had an old crazy Uncle that reminded them of Egg Fu Yung )

Page
Posted by: shorin-ji

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/17/05 04:59 PM

Quote:

Ghost Dog with Forest Whitaker. It's a reasonably credible story about a true samurai following the Bushido code in a modern setting, with an interesting culture clash. Not the usual flashy Hollywood fight choreography, but a lot of truth behind the scenes...

thank god someone has some genuine taste for cinematography so far

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/17/05 05:03 PM

everyone says roadhouse. ive never seen it but dosent it have patric swazie in it?

just watching that guy makes me feel violated
Posted by: Cord

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/17/05 05:38 PM

BuDoc, hate to be a geek, but its 'Egg Shen' in Big trouble in little china.

Shorin-ji, i never thought of Ghost Dog as I would not really put it in the category of MA per se, but I adore it as a movie- a truly original work.How often can you say that?

Roadhouse is superb. It has great fight choreography, a hot chick, magnificent huge 80's hairdo's, and Sam Elliot as the coolest bouncer in the world!
I would be physicaly sick if forced to watch Swayze in Ghost or Dirty Dancing, yet his earlt action movies were actually quite good. Roadhouse is by far the best, but steel dawn is a reasonable stab at the post apocalyptic genre, again with some tidy fight scenes.
Roadhouse is essential viewing to spot VTG's on here also, many quotable words of 'sage' advice to be lifted straight from the script and used by 13 year olds pretending to be 'the real deal'
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/19/05 06:54 AM

Of course your right Cord! And you might be a geek

I was walking around about 2 hours after I posted that,when I just blurted out " I can't beleive I called that guy Egg Fu Yung"!!

Some good came of it though. My Nursing staff decided to buy Chinese food for lunch!

Page
Posted by: harlan

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 05/19/05 08:56 AM

1. Seven Samurai. The best scene: when the lead samurai acknowledges that the farmers have given all their food to him.

2. Ghost Dog. Cult Classic.
Posted by: yilin

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/23/05 05:06 AM

Hi my friend,do you want find some chance to earn dollars? I can tell you that I can help
you.I currently do the business of whloesale dvd9,and it is well-made ,the quality is perfect.But it not expensive,it is only $3 per disk.if you instrested about this please
contact me . My Email address is oucoffee@hotmail.com. www.powerdvd9.com Trust me ,trust your self ,you can win $$$.
thanks very much.

dvd - 09/23/05 05:08 AM

Hi my friend,do you want find some chance to earn dollars? I can tell you that I can help
you.I currently do the business of whloesale dvd9,and it is well-made ,the quality is perfect.But it not expensive,it is only $3 per disk.if you instrested about this please
contact me . My Email address is oucoffee@hotmail.com. www.powerdvd9.com Trust me ,trust your self ,you can win $$$.
thanks very much.

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/23/05 05:12 AM

Quote:

I have quite a few and they are in no particular order.

1)Bloodsport(JCVD)
2)Kickboxer(JCVD) Hi my friend,do you want find some chance to earn dollars? I can tell you that I can help
thanks very much.
3)Heatseeker(Gary Daniels & Keith Cooke)
4)Best Of The Best 1/2 (Philip & Simon Rhee)
5)Mortal Kombat 1(Keith Cooke-Reptile)
6)Mortal Kombat 2(Keith Cooke-Sub Zeros Brother)
7)Enter The Dragon(Bruce Lee)
8)Once Upon A Time In China(Jet Li)
9)Bloodsport 2(Ron Hall-Cliff)
10)Only The Strong(Mark Dacascos)
11)Redemption(Mark Dacascos)

My list could go on for ever but here are some of my favourites. And as far as the Seven Samurais go well that was a great classic.

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/23/05 05:13 AM

Quote:

thanks very much. Ghost Dog with Forest Whitaker. It's a reasonably credible story about a true samurai following the Bushido code in a modern setting, with an interesting culture clash. Not the usual flashy Hollywood fight choreography, but a lot of truth behind the scenes...

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/23/05 05:15 AM

Quote:

here's my top 10 : (basically equal)
1.way of the dragon-bruce lee
2.cradle 2 the grave-jet li
3.romeo must die-jet li
4.kiss of the dragon-jet li Hi my friend,do you want find some chance to earn dollars? I can tell you that I can help
thanks very much.
5.enter the dragon-bruce lee
6.american ninja 1,2,3,4,5
7.big boss-bruce lee
8.game of death 1,2-bruce lee
9.and most jean claude van damme ones
10.the one-jet li
11.best of the best-phillip rhee

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/23/05 05:17 AM

Quote:

STAR WARS SERIES
JACKIE CHAN MOVIES
GHOST DOG
ROADHOUSE
BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA TOWN
thanks very much.
CROUCHING T Hidden D
GROSE POINT BLANK
SEVEN SAMURRI
the MANCHURIAN CANIDATE( FRANK SINATTRA, fu fighting!)

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/23/05 05:18 AM

Quote:

not necessarily my favorite but one that most of you probably never heard of:

The Duellists
thanks very much.
directed by Ridley Scott( he directed Alien, Legend, etc)

Quote:

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Great fight scenes with the Hessian and some of the mortals...

thanks very much.

Quote:

Top 6 that are pretty much equal:

1) Twin Warriors
2) Big Trouble Little China (Total cult film)
3) The Hunted (w/ Chris Lampert)
thanks very much.
4) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Who can deny this one!)
5) The Perfect Weapon
6) American Ninja

[This message has been edited by Raul Perez (edited 08-26-2003).]

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/23/05 05:20 AM

Quote:

The Perfect WEapon - Jeff Speakman. CLASSIC!

thanks very much.

Quote:

Don't normally look at this section, but will confess to having enjoyed Blind Fury.

JohnL

thanks very much.

Quote:

Zatoichi, the Blind Swordsman

thanks very much.

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/23/05 05:24 AM

Quote:

The American Ninja Series, hoo boy. Anyone else notice the "Secret Ninja Hiding Place" in these flicks? Whenever a ninja is in a bad spot, he inevitably reaches around BEHIND him, in the region of his posterior, and pulls out a weapon of some sort which was previously unseen. Examples include the black guy ninja pulling two butterfly swords from his butt, the white blond ninja pulling a limpet mine from his arse (while wearing only a speedo. shudder), and the bad guy shirtless ninja yanking a sawed off shotgun out of his a-hole. Those ninjas, YEARS of training. RIGOROUS self discipline. GRUELING colon-stretching.

thanks very much.

Quote:

Chris,

You may have found, as I have, when talking to older martial arts practitioners, both here and in Japan, that SUGATA SANSHIRO inspired many practitioners to begin their budo practise.

I still watch this film fairly often. It took me a while before I understood the lesson in sincerity rather than just compassion that Sanshiro receives when the zen priest forces him to have his 'small satori' with the obligatory 'whack'( to borrow an expression from Van De Wetering ).

I really wish that I could see one of the later versions which Kurosawa reworked the script for, but I never came across it in Japan.

Incidentally, the father of a certain Peter, whom we both know in Osaka, was inspired into a lifelong judo practise by this film.

Matthew Rogers

[This message has been edited by mateo (edited 05-24-2004).]

thanks very much.

Quote:

heres 5 good ones
1 bloodsport(jcvd)
2 enter the dragon(bruce lee)
3 drunken master(jackie chan)
4 snake and crane(jackie chan)
5 the octagon(chuck norris)
not a big fan of the new stuff but jet lei's ''the one'' is quite good

thanks very much.

Quote:

Barry Gordy's "The Last Dragon" Sho Nuff!!!!!

thanks very much.

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/23/05 05:25 AM

Quote:

Anpadh - the movie is "Yakuza" with Robert Mitchum slicing off the digit. It's one of my favourite films ever!

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/23/05 05:26 AM

Quote:

Twilght Samurai. No wires, no bull. It is very close to some parts of Ryoma's life. There are only three fight scenes in the movie.

thanks very much.

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/23/05 05:26 AM

Quote:

Nobody seems to have mentioned the three (maybe 4 by now) "Once Upon a Time in China" movies. I loved those, especially the first one. Also, there is an old movie, whose name I cannot remember, in which an American guy ends up cutting off his little finger, at the end of the movie, as an apology to his Japanese friend. It isn't exactly a martial arts movie the way "Enter the Dragon" is, but still an interesting perspective on marital arts.

thanks very much.

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/23/05 05:28 AM

Quote:

-Bourne Identity/Supremecy - not really MA films but very cool no-nonsense, efficient MA (Kali) fighting.

-Matrix - again not really a MA movie but has some very cool Kung fu fight seens

-Kill Bills - VERY COOL sword play.

thanks very much.

Quote:

Who can forget

Sword of Bushido
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098422/

Hero From Beyond The End of Time
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108542/

thanks very much.

Quote:

Jacki:

-Police Story
Craziest stunts, some of his fastest and most intense fights; he was in his prime!

-Supercop
Great for same reasons; later than Police Story (Its actually police story 3), so his fight dynamics were beginning to change.

-The Legend of Drunken Master
Perhaps the best; some of the best group fights ever.

-Wheels on Meals/Dragon Forever
Both low budget, corny, and hard to find, but both (especially W on M) have and AMAZING fight between Jackie and Benny Urquidez. Easily the best one-on-one fight EVER! No wires, just inhuman craziness! Both also have Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao, and altogether they have great chemistry.

Jet LI:

-Fist of Legend
Arguably his best

-Once Upon in China
Actually an interesting story, great fights. Gotta love Yuen Biao as well!

Other:

-Enter the Dragon
-Bloodsport
-Only the Strong
-Best of the Best

I love all Kurosawa films, especially the Seven Samurai (which I recently saw)

Who has seen "Ran"? Apparently its an adaptation of King Lear, and looks phenomenal; I intend to check it out.

-Al

thanks very much.

Quote:

Jackie Chan went to Northern China once to learn an ancient technique from some Monks. To learn this style he had to sign a contract that he himself would never portray it on film. So Jackie goes, learns, then teaches this style to several other Martial artists. Some of higher rank than himself. Then he goes on to direct this film, his first directed film ever, he does not star in it, but it was phenomenal. The film was The Thirty Six Crazy Fists.

thanks very much.

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/23/05 05:29 AM

Quote:

Hi Anpadh:

I believe Robert Mitchum's co-star in Yakuza was Ken Takahura.

JohnL

thanks very much.

Quote:

Ken,

Thanks for reminding me of the name. Also, would you happen to know if "Enter the 36th Chamber" and "The 36th Chamber of Shaollin" are the same movie or different? And do you know the stars of the movie(s)?

thanks very much.

Quote:

JohnL,

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. However, my question was in regard to the stars of "36th Chamber of Shaolin" and "Enter the 36th Chamber." Also, I am not sure if the two are different movies or the same movie under different names in different markets.

thanks very much.

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/23/05 05:32 AM

Quote:

Hope it's not too late to get in on this. I know it's kind of an old thread.

I have 4 favorite Martial Arts films. These are in no order. I watch them all over and over again, and have for many years.

Best of The Best 1&2 (I might be the one guy in the world that is a fan of Eric Roberts )

The Last Dragon (Shonuff now has a movie career, but where the hell did Taimak go )

Big Trouble in Little China (who hasn't had an old crazy Uncle that reminded them of Egg Fu Yung )

Page

thanks very much.

Quote:

1. Seven Samurai. The best scene: when the lead samurai acknowledges that the farmers have given all their food to him.

2. Ghost Dog. Cult Classic.

thanks very much.

Quote:

everyone says roadhouse. ive never seen it but dosent it have patric swazie in it?

just watching that guy makes me feel violated

thanks very much.

Quote:

Quote:

thank god someone has some genuine taste for cinematography so far

thanks very much.

Quote:

my favorite martial arts film is "hero" with jet li and donny yen.

thanks very much.

Quote:

my favorate ma film would be... well i guess there's a few and here they are, fist of legend, twin warriors, blood sport, but there's more, return of the dragon, kiss of the dragon, best of the best 123&4, police story 1&2, mr. nice guy, drunken master, snake in eagles shadow, the master, young master, the one, art of snake and crane, china 123&4, and i've seen so many more but i guess http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/n...;vc=1&q=1my favorate would be fist of legend it's action is awesome and jet li really has style when it comes to martial arts in his movies which with his background in wushu is understandable. plus i think they added to the story in a good way.

thanks very much.

Quote:

Favourite MA Movie. Gonna cheat and give a few

For Dialogue and plot : 'The Silent Flute'

For 'wire-fu' : Iron Monkey (Donnie Yen version)

For Pure entertainment : Around the world in 80 Days

For Gritty comparative realism: The Hunted

For appalling acting (come on, you know you love it ) : Enter the Ninja

Best Samurai/chambara: Shogun assassin- i know purists will say the 'babycart series', but I prefer the american soundtrack- more atmospheric and the kids voice is cool

For pure 'wow' factor: The two Towers. I know it is not an eastern MA movie, but you cant get any more martial than 'Helms Deep', and it is the greatest movie battle ever filmed IMO

thanks very much.
Posted by: harlan

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 09/23/05 11:09 AM

*sigh* Oldman, I am sure Mr. Caille has enough to do running this site. Can we please have a backup mod for this forum? Or at least a sword-wielding Musashi graemlin?
Posted by: IronBones

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 10/02/05 05:18 PM

Alot of different ones, "Master of the Flying Guillotine" "Fist of Legend" "Invincible obsessed Fighter" "Kung Fu Hustle" and anything with Bruce Lee or Sonny Chiba.
Posted by: kay_z83

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 10/30/05 05:35 AM

1/ Enter the Dragon (Bruce Lee) - My fave Bruce Lee's film ever. Great fighting scenes and it is in this film that the deadly use of nunchanku is introduced to the West. And of course, who can forget the legendary face-off between Bruce and Chuck Norris?

2/ Fist of Legend (Jet Li) - The best remake of the popular chinese folklore hero, Chan Zhen. IMHO it even eclisped Bruce's. Although Jet Li couldn't match Bruce's charisma and intensity, the storyline in Jet's version is more 'political'. His love plot with a Japanese girl is a far cry from Bruce's massive anti-Japanese sentiments although the infamous quotes of 'The Weaklings of the East' and 'Dogs and Chinese are prohibited from entry' still remained.

3/ Wing Chun (Michelle Yeoh) - Great fighting scenes featuring Michelle Yeoh at the peak of her career. Anyone who love Wing Chun will love this.

4/ Tai Chi Master (Jet Li) - Great fighting scenes although the comical lines are slightly over the top.

5/ Once Upon A Time I, II & III (Jet Li) - This trilogy from the old master Tsui Hark literally launch Jet Li's career and also introducing Li as the new action superstar. Watch the them and you'll know why.

6/ Swordsman I (Sam Hu), Swordsman II (Jet Li) & Swordsman III (Briggite Li) - Superb swordsplay is an essence in the trilogy. It doesn't feature a lot of one-on-one combats but martial arts enthusiasts will certainly be amused with the gravity-defying stunts and enchanting swordsplay.

7/ Iron Monkey (Donnie Yen) - Action choreographer, Yuen Woo Ping stamp the mark here with sensational fighting sequences featuring Donnie Yen in his best film.

These are all old martial art flicks and are classics. As you can see from my selection, I'm a huge Hong Kong movie fan. Although Hong Kong have been producing less and less martial arts in recent times, here are a few that are worthwatching:

1/ Seven Sworsds (Donnie Yen) - Mesmerising swordsplay. Although action choreograopher, Law Kar Leung is no match to Yuen Woo Ping's fluidity and elegance in the art, Law's creativity and experience sets this movie off. After all, Law is the guy behind the famous '36th Chamber of Shaolin'.

2/ Zatoichi - This latest installment on the famous blind swordsman is refreshing and mesmerising.
Posted by: qwan

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 12/12/05 04:12 PM

hmm i just joined this forum and was hoping this is not an ametuer forum but all the movies are mainstream hanging from ropes movies.
My favourite movie till date and i think it will be very difficult to make another one like this.
It is a thai movie WONG BAK (or ONG BAK) Which means buddha's head.
Then there was a time when i would get the free chinese channel and say many chinese movies. Totally chinese no subs also.
There were movie about secret police but were a combination of martial arts and guns. I still remember there was a movie where they shoot a monk and they search for a rare blood type and enemies are trying to kill the donators.
And another movie was a war scene where two soldiers are tranporting a prisoner or something and these two soldiers have some fued. I still remember they meet a spiritual american who is living with some sexy chinese chicks and then in the end these two fight man that was real fighting i have they were really hitting each man.
I dont know the names maybe somebody from china could recognize these movies

Oh and i liked Quest a vandamme produced movie where he saved the day in the end but the styles of the world that were shown in that movie were amazing.
The bruce lee movies were good too
Posted by: nidan

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 12/12/05 09:58 PM

My favorite martial arts movies are:
1. Billy Jack: realistic. good martial arts technique, but
realistic in how one man can defend in
various situations, but not without harm to
himself.
2. The Patriot: realistic and shows the anger within and how
one really channels it. keep in mind that
martial arts means combat arts. this is not
a "martial arts movie", but exemplifies true
martial spirit.
3. The Hunted: very good depiction of close quarters
hand to hand combat skills.
Posted by: ShorinjiSeisan

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 01/04/06 05:09 PM

In no particular order - with IMDB links!

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Iron Monkey
House of Flying Daggers
Jet Li's Hero
Once Upon a Time in China
Once Upon a Time in China II
Once Upon a Time in China III
Shaolin Soccer
Wing Chun
Fist of Legend
The Legend
Twin Warriors
Kung Fu Hustle
Ong-Bak - The Thai Warrior
Posted by: matxtx

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 01/14/06 07:31 PM

yea Quest is pretty good,its got roger moore in it too,hamming it up.lol.

i also like the Drunken Master.the TKD baddie guy is amazing.
Legend Of A Fighter is good though no one seems to give it credit,or even mention.lol.
steven segals early fighting on screen was good,pretty realistic too for films.
Posted by: Xaith

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 02/02/06 07:45 PM

The One-Armed Swordsman
The Flying Guillotine
And....

Kung Fu Vampire! Absolutely hilarious.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 02/04/06 02:06 AM

Old thread but new to me. I actually enjoyed Lion Heart and Blood Sport with JCVD. I also enjoyed the Best of the Best ... the 1st only. For comical relief I like "They Call Me Bruce". I also liked some of the fight scenes in Lethal Weapon (I believe #4).

Edit: And don't forget "Big Trouble in Little China" ... funny as all can be.
Posted by: hugo

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 01/07/07 01:02 AM

Hello my friends.

I just wanted to say. How come the moderator of this forum hasn't removed the 3 pages or so of spam requests for purchase of illegally pirated DVDS by some moron.
Posted by: sri

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 01/09/07 12:16 AM

Can you post me the link for downloading "Enter the dragon" film....Thank you
Posted by: Boxer99

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 01/16/07 07:45 PM

1. Fists of Legend ( should have been released in americam theaters) FIghts kept getting better as movie went on, Jet Li was amazing.
2. Bloodsport- I think Van Damme really brought martial srts films back to the silver screen in America
3. Kickboxer- not realistic looking back, but I rmember being blown away when I first saw it. Van Damme inspired me to take martial arts
Posted by: savaged

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 03/21/07 05:24 AM

Jet Li Fist Of Legend. the Dojo Fight is immense, thats what all the chavs have coming in my town when they next start lol 'i wish'

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 04/01/07 11:30 PM

ghost dog: the way of the samurai
leading role by academy award winner forest whitaker
directed by jim jarmusch
soundtrack by the rza of the wu tang clan
Posted by: bigeasy

Re: My favorate martial arts film is? - 04/18/07 02:42 AM

I'd have to go with Blood Sport. I just appreciated the scenario of fighters from all over the world training there best to represent their country, also, I love seeing Bolo Yeung once again since the old Bruce Lee movies. I can't believe he was 50 years old in that movie! I also appreciated the fact that the fights didn't seem staged or magical, but authentic martial arts!

Since then Steven Seagal put on an excellent randori of aikido in Above the Law (he's a bit more hollywood since then), but I do like the up and coming Tony Jaa of Ong Bonk and the Protector, true, true, Muay Thai!