Stick Fighting?

Posted by: Stone Carver

Stick Fighting? - 08/13/09 07:54 PM

Whew! Been a while since I’ve been here. Anybody know any good books on stick fighting, like escrema or kali?
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Stick Fighting? - 08/13/09 08:50 PM

Welcome back! I don't know about books, but the Dog Brothers video series is the best place to start, IMO.

www.dogbrothers.com

Re: Stick Fighting? - 08/13/09 10:43 PM

They’re a little more ‘gladiatorial’ than what I was looking for. I want something with more of a reality application. Multiple attackers and such. Thanks anyway.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Stick Fighting? - 08/14/09 10:29 AM

More real than the Dog Brothers?! Good Lord! eek

Re: Stick Fighting? - 08/15/09 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Stone Carver
They’re a little more ‘gladiatorial’ than what I was looking for. I want something with more of a reality application. Multiple attackers and such. Thanks anyway.

Gladiatorial?! You mean...kind of like people are when they FIGHT WITH STICKS?

The Dog Brothers ARE reality IN application. Unless of course you are looking for a group that trains with live machetes. In that case, good luck on your journey!

Re: Stick Fighting? - 08/16/09 12:40 AM

I knew something like this was going to happen. Sure the Dog Brothers are technically reality based. But they have been fighting one on one with armor and organized matches too long. I’m looking for something with information about improvised weapons multiple attackers, ect. It’s just not enough information. Besides, video isn’t going to work for me.

Re: Stick Fighting? - 08/16/09 08:41 AM

So, video isn't going to work for you, but books ARE? Just curious about that, but whatever you need is what you need.

I don't really think you're going to find much in the way of books on this topic.

Good luck!
Posted by: Ames

Re: Stick Fighting? - 08/16/09 01:24 PM

Quote:
I knew something like this was going to happen.

Something like what? Jkogas has about 20 years (right?) of stick fighting, and he's giving you info from his experience. So what's the problem there?

This is a general statement, not specifically directed at stonecarver (I'm saying this due to recent p.m's I've gotten).

Why is that lately people are getting into such a huff when they get perspectives that conflict with their own? If you ask for advice, then expect to get different perspectives, or don't ask for it. If you feel strongly against what some one has said, argue your perspective. No one here is trying to gang up on anyone, or brow beat them into accepting their perspective.

Quote:
But they have been fighting one on one with armor and organized matches too long.

Did you ever stop to think why they have been fighting one on one in armor for so long? Do you think they are doing so because of all the money and cultural glory that comes with full contact stick fighting? Or is it because they long ago realized that it was the best path to achieve non-theoretical, functional skill?

Quote:
I’m looking for something with information about improvised weapons multiple attackers, ect.

I'm pretty sure I saw a vid on youtube of (maybe Crafty Dog?) showing how the sticks can apply to various commonly found objects such as car antenna's etc.

As for the multiple attacker thing, to be honest, I would question anyone who tried to make you believe that you had any option in dealing with multiple armed and skilled attackers besides a)running b) major physical trauma c)dying.

I think this is something you'll (hopefully) realize early in your training, after getting hit with a stick (and imagining that that was, say, a machete).

If you mean dealing with multiple unarmed attacker while you are armed, then you should be able to get there with the Dog Brother material.

Quote:
Besides, video isn’t going to work for me.

Out of interest, why are books better than video?

--Chris

Re: Stick Fighting? - 08/18/09 02:06 AM

I mean that literally, videos don’t work on my computer.
Posted by: Dan Anderson

Re: Stick Fighting? - 11/11/09 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Stone Carver
Whew! Been a while since I’ve been here. Anybody know any good books on stick fighting, like escrema or kali?

Hi Stone,

I've written seven books on arnis. You can take a look at them on my website www.danandersonkarate.com and see if this is what you're looking for.

Yours,
Dan Anderson