Takashi (Kei) Miyagi - Orthodox Goju-ryu

Posted by: CVV

Takashi (Kei) Miyagi - Orthodox Goju-ryu - 03/21/08 07:44 PM

Translation of this book in English came out.
Takashi (Kei) Miyagi (born 1919) is the son of Goju-ryu founder Chojun Miyagi. He was a special advisor to JKF Goju-kai. He is not very well known in the international karate community but he had some publications in Japanese in the 60ies and 70ies. This is the translation of his first book written in 1968 I think.
I beelieve that he is still alive.

You can order the book through budomall.com or via a link on gojuryu.net (US) or via www.kamikazeweb.com (Europe/Spain).

I ordered a copy last week, awaiting delivery later this month. It's rather pricy (99US dollar or 84 euro without tax and shipping cost) but it is sold as a collectors item, only 1000 copies available.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Takashi (Kei) Miyagi - Orthodox Goju-ryu - 03/22/08 12:54 AM

http://www.kamikazeweb.com/showimage.php?text=f&id=00301

plus another site mentions:
"Translated by long time karate-ka Nobu Kazi"

anyone know who "Nobu Kazi" is?

It's difficult to find information about Miyagi's son. Below are a collection of references I put together for those interested. appology in advance for lack of source links and formatting issues....this was just a quick copy and paste job.

some of his past books are selling on e-bay. The pictures here may give a closer look into the contents of what you'll probably be getting with the book CVV mentioned.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Karate-Book-Sei...9QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRADITIONAL-Goju-ryu...9QQcmdZViewItem

--------
Kei Takeshi Miyagi [son of Chojun Miyagi] is born in Naha Okinawa.

Kei Takeshi Miyagi [son of Chojun Miyagi] opens a Dojo in Tokyo and is assisted by Shuichi Aragaki whom also trained with Chojun Miyagi [1951].

Book: Karate-Do No Tanoshimi
Enjoying Karate-Do
by Takashi Miyagi
Originally published October 1, 1963 (Showa 38)
Reprinted November 1, 1969 (Showa 44)
216 pages
Japanese language

Kei Takeshi Miyagi [son of Chojun Miyagi] publishes his first book "Seitou Gojuryu" which translates as Traditional or Orthodox Gojuryu.
Seito Karatedo
Traditional Karatedo
by Takashi Miyagi, Goju-ryu Soke
(ancestral head of Goju-ryu, eldest son of the founder)
Published by Seitosha
September 10, 1968 (Showa 43)
237 pages
Japanese language

Kei Takeshi Miyagi [son of Chojun Miyagi] publishes his second [2nd] book "Seitou Karatedo Nyumon" which translates as Traditional or Orthodox Karatedo Basics".

"Seitou Gojuryu" reprinted

----
Sensei Aragaki Shuichi 10th. Dan, was born on 10th January 1929. In May 1951 Suichi's grand father Ryuko Aragaki (Chogun Miyagi's first

Karate instructor), introduced him to Miyagi Sensei, and Suichi joined the garden dojo. In September 1953, one month before Sensei Chogun

Miyagi's death, Sensei Aragaki moved to Tokyo. In 1955 he began teaching in Kei Miyagi's dojo when it opened there in 1957. He was also the

advisor to Karate clubs at the prestigious Kagawa and Tokushima Universities. In 1967 Sensei Aragaki opened his own dojo in the Bunkyoku area of Tokyo and, in 1972 became the Vice-Chairman of the Tokyo and Tanashi city Karate-do Federation. He also received an award for his

karate instruction from the city of Tanashi. Thereafter, he became the advisor to the Uehara Dojo in Naha Okinawa in 1971 and to the IOGKF in 1981. He also teaches at the Higaonna dojo in Naha Okinawa.

-----

The memory of my father, Chojun Miyagi.
(Interview) Yasuko Kojiro (Thuruko Miyagi-Old name) 30th March, 53rd year of Showa (1978) To the original Japanese version.

My father, Chojun, loved his children very much. Though my name is Yasu now, my old name was Thuru before I was married. As I used to be very active and gymnastic, my father's students, Mr. Matama and others, said to me, "Could you do Karate?, please do it". At that time I

wore Koshimaki (the cloth) instead of pants. I imitated my father's Karate with wearing only Koshimaki in front of this people. They really enjoyed and clapped enthusiastically. After having four daughters my father got a son, his name is Kei. My sisters were quiet, but I was

very active. I have always imitated my father's Karate. I have ten brothers and sisters. The oldest sister used to be a teacher in kindergarten. Her husband was also a teacher in a school and became a director before he retired. She died of fever after the delivery of

the girl when she was only 28 years old. I am the second child and 4 years younger than my oldest sister. My father went to the War (First World War) when he was 21 years old. I was born after his return when my parents were both 25 years old. They were both born in the year of

the mouse and so was I. After me, there were two daughters and then the first son, Kei, was born. My father was very pleased and loved the son incredibly. It seemed that he could not feel any pain, even though he takes his son in his eyes (Japanese expression). I used to be

jealous as a child for the fact that a boy was very important in family. So I forced Kei to enter the Japanese cabinet to make him cry when my parents were not at home. I am 7 years older than Kei and 19 years older than my youngest brother, his name is Ken-Bou (Bou is used for

children only). When I walked with Ken-Bou some people asked, "When did you get married and have a child ?" My father loved his children very much. This morning (30th march, 1978) I tried to cut my nails. Usually my grandson cuts my nails, but he has gone skating today. It

reminded me that my father used to wash our hair on every Saturday evening when we were small. At that time we did not have shampoo like

today, instead we used the washing powder. After that we took bath and he cut our nails. The way he cut the nails was so short that it hurted. Also as my hand has been tensed by it, he has hit me gently with the scissors. When I cut my nails I always remember that my father

used to cut my nails every week. So the memory makes me embarrassed if I have long nails.
He was strict about cleaning and organizing. He would become angry when I did not put my books on the shelves properly. When I did not know how to read Kanji (Chinese character), I put Hiragana (Japanese alphabet) along the Kanji. He was angry that I could not even memorize the

Kanji.
He was adopted to another family and then changed his name from Matsu to Chojun. He started learning Karate because when he was small he was not very healthy. The house where he was born, was a pharmacy. They sold the medicines to the royal households . They imported the medicines

from China and had two ships. When I was small I found natural medicines, for example, the sweet plants(licorice) which were cleanses the toxins after childbirth. There was a medicine, Saikaku(rhino horn), that was sold solely to the royal households in the region. My father

was adopted to the main house of his family (his uncle, his father's oldest brother) when he was 3 or 4 years old. My father's name used to be Matsu(pine tree). But his rich neighbour gave his new name, Chojun. His new family was very rich. My father has been China many times to learn Karate. I have been having good memory since I was 3 years old. Although he had a master in Okinawa, Kanryo Higaonna Sensei, he wanted

to go to China to learn Karate. This because Karate came from China originally. But Chinese people hesitated to teach him Karate. So he paid money to learn. I was always looking forward to get the souvenirs from China.
My father died of heart attack.
My father died in October, the 28th year of Showa (1953) of heart attack. He was 66 years old. I was in Tokyo when he passed away. At that time I had a house in Kyoto and some medical students who came from Okinawa were living in my house. When they went to Okinawa I asked them

to bring some unusual souvenirs for my father. I have heard that he was not going to live more than 3 years. Just 1 year before he died, I

received the telegraph from him, and I went back to Okinawa to see him. He was very pleased and called all his students, "Yasu has come back. Could you come to see her?" It was very surprising when I saw all this people. But it was very good that I went back to see him before

he died. The third year of the first heart attack seems most dangerous. He died in the dangerous period. He was too young to die. I wanted

him to live longer. He used to tell to my mother. "The people who do Karate in Shuri, can live longer, but not in Naha. So I really want to live long." (He lived in Naha. So he wanted to prove that someone who did Karate could live long in Naha.)
He collected many materials about Karate. He wished to write the book of Karate. When I asked if he wants to write the book he said he has

to do more research in China again. Unfortunately the Second world War had started and all materials were burnt and destroyed. He regretted this very much.
My father's training wear dedicated to Meitoku Yagi Sensie.
Here is Meitoku Yagi Sensei. He is same age as me. When we were small, I called him, "Yagi, Yagi". Then he said, "As I am a man, you should

use the polite words." So I was against him and said, "It is not necessary. We are same age!" My mother and I decided to give my father's training wear to Mr. Yagi. When my mother was still alive, we tried to decide to whom we should give this training wear to. Should we give

it to Kei (the oldest son) or not? But finally we decided to give it to the person who has been doing Karate for a long time and dedicated

to my father. That was Mr. Yagi. My brother, Kei, did not come back to Okinawa when my father died, even though he has a obligation, as the oldest son, to come back when once's parents die. I preferred to give this training wear to Mr. Yagi instead of Kei, because of this reason.

Mr Yagi started learning Karate when he was 14 years old. My father would be also pleased for this decision. In September this year, it will

be the thirteenth anniversary of my mother's death. We gave my father's training wear to Mr. Yagi two to three years before my mother died.

My father wrote his name, Master Miyagi, on his training wear. Kei wanted it and still thought that he can take the way of Gojuryu, because he is the oldest son. But I do not think so. The most important person who has developed the way of Gojuryu is Mr. Yagi. I think the person

who does one's best for Gojuryu should be the leader. The leader is not necessary to be the son of my father. But Kei can not understand what I mean. At the beginning the students could not understand as well. So I said to my brothers, "You have to think. Though you are the

son, you have not done Karate. Have you learnt Karate from our father more than Mr. Yagi?" I am sure that my father would have agreed with

me. This is the only way to follow the will of my father. Ken-Bou (the youngest brother) can understand. He said that they should not say anything about who should become the leader. The person who will take Gojuryu will follow the way of Karate, not the position of my father.

Note: The English translation of this interview was done by Ms. Keiko Sato for the Netherlands Meibukan Gojuryu Karate-Do Headquarters. She was a university student at the University of Nijmegen in the Netherlands.
Poon Chan. November 1999

----
Tadashi Nakamura was born on Karafuto Island, Northern Japan, (now claimed by Russia) on February 22, 1942. Nakamura began his karate

training at age 11 in 1953, studying the Goju style under Kei Miyagi Sensei, the son of the Chojun Miyagi (founder of Goju karatedo).

Nakamura began studying with Sosai Masutatsu Oyama, the founder of Kyokushin Karate, in 1953, and in 1959, he gained his shodan rank, being

the youngest Kyokushin karateka in Japan to receive a black belt.

----
picture
With Kei Miyagi Master Chojun Miyagi 4th son who live in Okinawa and supports the the Jundo kan Dojo.

Kei Miyagi, the second son of master Chojun Miyagi was called to testify on behalf of the family. His reply was that master Miyagi always

said that Miyazato was the only one he could count on for everything in the dojo. Gentlemen this is it, directed Nakaima, speaker of the

meeting. We have a successor, everyone applauded and Miyazato accepted the responsibility and dedicated his whole life to preserving and

spreading Goju-Ryu in Okinawa from the Jundo-Kan.
----

http://okinawakarateblog.blogspot.com/2006/10/sons-of-karate-pioneers.html

------

Re: Takashi (Kei) Miyagi - Orthodox Goju-ryu - 08/23/08 12:04 AM

just wanted to follow-up on this to warn others.

This book is a scam produced by a sokeship council. I'm embarrassed I fell for it.

see my post above from 5 months ago? that has more interesting info than what the entire book provides.

let me describe this book to you. first, I bought it for the same price I sold it $100 - so at least I got my money back. The book was a total scam.

Miyagi's son probably did a little training, and a little more after his Father died. it seems he just wrote the forward, and some captions and that was it. What the book included was a chapter on regurgitated history, typical stuff you find on the web. the rest of the book was all black-n-white photos of some guys running thru each of goju kata and techniques (from the original book). The kata were the vanilla goju and Japanese gojukai versions. The end of the book described basically how to run a mcdojo.

it was pitiful. the DVD's were just a slide show of pictures of Miyagi and elders that you find online. not only that, but it included a slideshow of "people who were influenced by Miyagi's goju" and then proceeded to show still pictures of what I can only describe as people you'd see at a sokeship council. frigging red belts with samurai swords in gi's. and a couple young semi-hot chick black-belts. they must have been people who sponsored the book and their family members or 'favorite' students. Funny to see included, but always seems to pop up in sokeship stuff: a picture of Pat McCarthy from the 80's wearing a rising sun bandana. lol funny, how did that get in there? and as if that weren't enough, they decided to fill some time showing still pictures of the covers from each of the karate kid movies, along with Pat Norita shaking hands with some American soke.

The 'certificate of authenticity', registration and signature is marketing hype. it's as worthless as the paper it's printed on.

what a piece of crap book. frigging scam. that was the last MA book I have bought, and the last for a while. I'm embarrassed I bought that. no where did it say when I bought this that it was produced by Don Warrner - mr sokeship himself.
http://www.bushido.org/whfsc/roster.htm
"Historical Committee: Grandmaster Don Warrener"

as always: buyer beware.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Takashi (Kei) Miyagi - Orthodox Goju-ryu - 09/03/08 12:47 PM

Huh...just got around to this post. Ed...I'm unfamiliar with the larger scene/history/players. Are you saying Mr. Warrener is a known fraud? Or to stay away from 'Rising Sun' purchases?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5H8qjUxWqc

http://www.risingsunproductions.net/

Quote:

just wanted to follow-up on this to warn others.

This book is a scam produced by a sokeship council. I'm embarrassed I fell for it.

see my post above from 5 months ago? that has more interesting info than what the entire book provides.

let me describe this book to you. first, I bought it for the same price I sold it $100 - so at least I got my money back. The book was a total scam.

Miyagi's son probably did a little training, and a little more after his Father died. it seems he just wrote the forward, and some captions and that was it. What the book included was a chapter on regurgitated history, typical stuff you find on the web. the rest of the book was all black-n-white photos of some guys running thru each of goju kata and techniques (from the original book). The kata were the vanilla goju and Japanese gojukai versions. The end of the book described basically how to run a mcdojo.

it was pitiful. the DVD's were just a slide show of pictures of Miyagi and elders that you find online. not only that, but it included a slideshow of "people who were influenced by Miyagi's goju" and then proceeded to show still pictures of what I can only describe as people you'd see at a sokeship council. frigging red belts with samurai swords in gi's. and a couple young semi-hot chick black-belts. they must have been people who sponsored the book and their family members or 'favorite' students. Funny to see included, but always seems to pop up in sokeship stuff: a picture of Pat McCarthy from the 80's wearing a rising sun bandana. lol funny, how did that get in there? and as if that weren't enough, they decided to fill some time showing still pictures of the covers from each of the karate kid movies, along with Pat Norita shaking hands with some American soke.

The 'certificate of authenticity', registration and signature is marketing hype. it's as worthless as the paper it's printed on.

what a piece of crap book. frigging scam. that was the last MA book I have bought, and the last for a while. I'm embarrassed I bought that. no where did it say when I bought this that it was produced by Don Warrner - mr sokeship himself.
http://www.bushido.org/whfsc/roster.htm
"Historical Committee: Grandmaster Don Warrener"

as always: buyer beware.

Re: Takashi (Kei) Miyagi - Orthodox Goju-ryu - 09/03/08 01:12 PM

why are you interested in buying it?

I'm saying the purchase of this book is not worth while - in my opinion.

it's also my opinion that anyone who calls themselves 'grandmaster', associates with sokeship councils and sells alot of stuff is not necessarily a fraud - but if it walks like a duck and hangs around other ducks...

I also found it deceptive that this book is not advertised as a Don Warner product, instead it's marketed under T. Miyagi's name.

just personal opinion. it's what forums are for. We have the choice to take or leave the opinions.
Posted by: CVV

Re: Takashi (Kei) Miyagi - Orthodox Goju-ryu - 09/06/08 03:35 AM

I agree that the book is very pricy for what it's showing.
I also think it is a moneymaker for Rising sun. 30-40 US dollar would be an acceptable price (soft cover is OK).

But the book is what it is. In the introduction Takashi Miyai describes that the ook is for beginning and intermediate students. For 1968, this is a wealth of information on Goju-ryu karate.

The dvd is pityfull. Not worth watching.

As for Takahashi Miyagi's karate knowledge, he did spend considarble time training with his father, but probably was not as gifted as Miyagi's top students. But the reason, that he was not considered as a successor by others was because he was in Japan during the 1950ies (work). He even was not allowed to go to his father funaral from his employer. This was considered by the others as an insult.
There has never been real successor to Chojun Miyagi. The family came to a compromis between Miyazato and Yagi and the students voted Higa as president of the Okinawa Goju-Kai. Politics !!!

But you see the book is a clear illustration of how Chojun Miyagi described karate training :
1. Warm-up
2. Fundamental kata
3. Suplementary exercises
4. Open hand kata
5. Kumite practice
Good book for beginners and intermediate students to show what is karate training about with examples shown in the book. Just need a good teacher to learn it.

The book isn't worth 100 us dollars and shows nothing a serious Goju-ryu practitioner does not know already. Maybe just the confirmation that the training described by Takashi Miyagi is orthodox.