Fujita Seiko - The Last Koga Ninja

Posted by: JAMJTX

Fujita Seiko - The Last Koga Ninja - 02/23/08 01:19 AM

A new book by Phillip Hevener
web page

I have long been turned off by "ninjutsu" but this guy fascinates me. especially as I learn more about my own connections to him and how he influenced the development of other arts.

Take a look at the web site and get the book for more details.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Fujita Seiko - The Last Koga Ninja - 02/23/08 09:13 AM

Very interesting link, Jim. Good find!

Quote:

The most interesting information that emerges from Watatani's interview, however, is Fujita's clear insistence that he had not taught the system to anyone, and Watatani's subsequent conclusion that Fujita was the last soke of Koga Ryu Wada Ha. The impact of such a statement, to an authority of the nature of the Bugei Ryuha Daijiten, is clear. The entry of the statement into the record, whether factual or not, would relegate all future claimants to a linear inheritance of the system to the ranks of charlatans and con artists.

Posted by: JAMJTX

reviews on amazon - 04/29/08 07:30 PM

1) Great book detailing key moments in fujita life I think it was a great work I also agree with him about ninjutsu today! fujita is a very good example of true shinobi.

There are key points in the book that say a lot about true shinobi and these things IMO don't exist today (maybe in small groups) like his training with his grandfather and possibly why Fujita was chosen and not his father very interesting to me, his possible involvement or training in WWII is a very good read in my mind his skill would be very valuable it would be foolish not to use him.

I think the great thing about Fujita was his mind very strong and there was much time spent on his physical ability which I do not see today, his skill was very high level and recognized by many masters of his day.

2) A well written book full of undisputable facts about an enigmatic figure. Finally, this book will hopefully put an end to all the so called "KOGA NINJA MASTERS" frauds out there. Great book and a great job by the author. Keep them coming!

3)I found Fujita Seiko to be quite a character and a unique subject for a book. There is not much new material being published in the martial arts world. So this book is refreshing.

There has always been a lot of mystique relating to the ninja and thier martial arts. In thier day they needed to be secret and mysterious. But now that those days are gone practicing martial artists should have a clear and precise history and knowledge of thier martial arts lineage. This is especially true given today's martial arts market place and the way that unscrupulous teachers attach themselves to arts or famous teachers. This book puts to rest some of the myth about Koga Ninjutsu and the end of that lineage. It is a valuable resource for anyone interested in the truth about Koga Ninjutsu.

It is very difficult to research such obscure subjects, especially when you do not read or speak Japanese fluently. Mr. Hevener did an excellent job in seeking out and locating historical documents and newspaper accounts and locating those few people who have such personal knowledge.

Especially for the first book by this author, I think he did a fine job of presenting the material.

This book should be read by all who are interested in Ninjutsu. I have also discovered some interesting connections between Fujita Seiko and those in my Motobu Ryu and Shito Ryu Karate and Okinawan Kobudo lineage. So there may be some surprises for other readers as well.
Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Re: reviews on amazon - 04/30/08 10:17 PM

Just as an aside, the only way to find it on amazon is to do a search using only "Fujita Seiko". A good find and it looks interesting. Your own review is very good, well written piece congrats.