Masters magazine?

Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Masters magazine? - 12/14/07 04:15 PM

The search function said there was no matches for this so I thought I'd ask. Has anyone else seen and read this magazine? masters magazine I found it awhile ago and it seems pretty good. A little more easy to get into then Budo International which seems to me alittle dense at times( or maybe it is just me )
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Masters magazine? - 12/14/07 04:50 PM

I like the dvd it comes with.

Re: Masters magazine? - 12/15/07 03:37 PM

Me too, that is a cool feature.
Posted by: BodhiHuss

Re: Masters magazine? - 12/17/07 01:24 PM

Looks pretty corny to me. Here's a good way to judge the worth of any magazine. Look at the ad to article ratio. A magazine loaded with ads but lacking significant content usually caters to its sponsors. Check out magazines like Journal of Asian Martial Arts and Classical Fighting Arts Magazine--very few ads and well researched articles with bibliographies. I don't think Masters Magazine fits the bill.

Re: Masters magazine? - 12/17/07 08:05 PM

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.
Posted by: harleyt26

Re: Masters magazine? - 12/22/07 09:00 PM

Try the magazine offered by Tsunami its called"International Fighting Arts".Of course every issue of any publication can be better or worse than the previous ones.But this one has been my favorite for several years.You must subscribe to it through the Tsunami website.There was another magazine with a similar name called"Masters Of The Martial Arts" that was also very good but it was only in circulation for a few issues.
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: Masters magazine? - 12/23/07 10:11 AM

The Tsunami magazine is Classical Fighting Arts - previously Dragon Times. It is excellent. They don't have a regular production schedule, they print it when they have good articles together. That way they are not rushing to meet an arbitrary deadline and end up with an inferior product.

Looking at "ad to article" ratio is a good way to judge a magazine. But more important is what the ads are selling.
Advertisers know who buys the magazine. So if you see ads selling "home black belt courses" and organizations saying "send your resume for rank certification" then you know it's not a quality magazine and is generally not read by serious people.

OTH I do pick up Black Belt when I'm in Borders just to see what's going on, although I don't actually read the stuff. Mostly just skimming headlines, titles and pictures.

Re: Masters magazine? - 12/27/07 04:51 PM

The ads are pretty diverse with most of them being for the companies own publishing division. Anymore the only reason I read Black Belt is for Dave Lowry and the occasional Cutting Edge column written by the head and second in command of my organization. I plan to subscribe to CFA as soon as I get some money saved up