Essential books in your Martial Arts Library

Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Essential books in your Martial Arts Library - 07/16/07 11:32 PM

Thought I'd post my essential books and see what other people read. In no particular order:
Flashing Steel by Masayuki Shimabukuro-The essential reference work for my branch of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu. It deals with alot of the philosophy and internal training objectives of Iaijutsu in addition to the technique demostrations.

Living the Martial Way by Forrest Morgan-A very readable work that deals with applying the ideas of the martial arts to your own life.

Budo Secrets by John Stevens-It compiles most of the lists of principals of the martial arts ex:Funakoshi's principles of Karate. As well as stories of the old masters like Tsukahara Bokuden. It also includes philosophy tales like "The Marvelous Techniques of the Old Cat"

The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi-Not much needs to be said about this book. One principle I find interesting is his declaration that fighting one person is like fighting many people and vice-versa.

Karate-Do My Way of Life by Gichin Funakoshi-His autobiography in which he details his early training on Okinawa when Karate practice was banned upto after world war 2. It includes personal details, it is interesting to read his hopes for the future of Karate practice.

Secrets of the Samurai by Oscar Ratti and Adele Westbrook-A very well written scholarly approach to the times of the samurai of ancient Japan. It deals with the cultures of the peasant class, merchants, warrior priests, and of course the samurai and their martial arts.

Secret Tactics by Kazumi Tabata-It compiles excerpts of some manuals of traditional martial arts. Like the "Hei-Ho-Kaden-Sho" by Yagyu Munenori, Hagakure, and "The Miracle of Immovable Wisdom" by Takuan Soho.

Hagakure by Yamamoto Tsunetomo-An interesting look at the samurai culture that was very different then our own. With various anecdotes and advice for the samurai.
Posted by: jpoor

Re: Essential books in your Martial Arts Library - 08/19/07 01:08 PM

On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society -- David Grossman; not because it is specifically geared towards MA, but because it speaks in great detail about the way our bodies react to stress and the chemical dump of fight or flight. It goes into ways to overcome some of the adverse side effects as well.
Posted by: ShangTsung

Re: Essential books in your Martial Arts Library - 08/19/07 04:42 PM

The Art Of Shaolin Kung Fu by Wong Kiew Kit
A brief history of time by steven hawkings
Both interesting books science is very important
Posted by: Ames

Re: Essential books in your Martial Arts Library - 08/19/07 05:31 PM

For me, I like the following:

The Art of War, Sun-Tzu.

The Book of Five Rings, Musashi Minamoto.

The Life-Giving Sword, Yagyu Munenori.

Warrior's of Medieval Japan, and

The Samurai and the Sacred, by Stephan Turnbell.

The Demon Sermon on Martial Arts, Issai Chozanshi.

The I-Ching,

The Art of Peace, (which I like for the quotes by Ueshiba).

Koryu Bujutsu, Diane Skoss

The Unfettered Mind, Takuan Soho

The Hagakure.

--Chris