Any one familiar with Gichin Funakoshi's autobio?

Posted by: Steel91

Any one familiar with Gichin Funakoshi's autobio? - 06/14/06 11:54 PM

It's a great book, I'd like to share a piece with you that I think brings out a good point, he talks about training to become weak, and then explains it like this. He who is aware of his own weaknesses remain master of himself in any situation; only a true weakling is capable of true courage. Naturally, a real karate adept must refine his technique through training, but he must never forget that only through training will he be able to recognize his own weaknesses. AAhhh, I now understand master Funakoshi
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Any one familiar with Gichin Funakoshi's autobio? - 06/15/06 12:00 PM

his books are great resources. I've compiled a list of his printed and published works...please correct if anyone knows this to be in error.

"Ryukyu Kenpo Karate" / "To-te Jitsu" (1922)

"Rentan goshin Karate Jutsu" (1923)

"Karate-Do Kyohan" (1936)

"The Twenty Guiding Principles of Karate" originally published as "karate-do nijukkajo to sono kaibaku" in "karate-do taikan" (1938)

"Karate do Shinzui" (1939)

"Zoho Karate Do Kyohan" (1941)

"Karate-Do Nyumon" (1943)

"Karate Do Ichiro" / "Karate-Do - My Way of Life" (1956)
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Any one familiar with Gichin Funakoshi's autobio? - 06/28/06 07:46 AM

Ed, having read Karate Do My Way Of Life in English, I was told that so much is lost in translation that it is almost only worth reading in the original Japanese.

Have you read both? and if so would you agree?

I would read the Japanese one myself but unless Funakoshi Sensei were saying "hello how do you do, nice to meet you, are you well?, this is my cat, isn't it cold, after you, thank you very much" I would be unable to follow it
Sharon
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Any one familiar with Gichin Funakoshi's autobio? - 06/28/06 11:15 AM

my Japanese is at best, about a 1st grade reading level I learned to read hiragana, katakana and about 200 kanji and never progressed beyond that. I've forgotten most of the kanji but can still barely manage thru kana.

like anything else...use it or loose it.
Posted by: Steel91

Re: Any one familiar with Gichin Funakoshi's autobio? - 07/02/06 10:20 PM

I've read the english version, I would read the Japanese version...IF I COULD UNDERSTAND IT! darnit
Posted by: Crash

Re: Any one familiar with Gichin Funakoshi's autobio? - 07/09/06 07:17 PM

I just recently read "Karate Do- my way of life" as well as "Karate Do Nyumon" I enjoyed both of them, especially the stories about Funakoshi's Masters Azato and Itosu. I'm going to start the karate do kyohan soon.