Top 5 books for a beginner

Posted by: imcrazy

Top 5 books for a beginner - 01/26/06 06:04 PM

Well what do you think the top 5 books that should be recommended to a beginner in martial arts, or even anyone for that matter?

Now I'm not talking books that show technique for specific arts, but rather books that can be applied universally to anyone and any art.

Obviously I think we could probably all agree that one of the top books, if not the #1 book could be "Living the Martial Way" by Forrest E. Morgan.

But what are some other ones you'd recommend?
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Top 5 books for a beginner - 01/27/06 05:22 PM

book of five rings by miyamoto musashi. pretty much all of what is said is directly about the katana/wazikashi but it can nearly all be applied to any other martial art, but would probably fit striking better.

apart from that my knoledge is pretty limited. hagakue would be ok but its more about conduct of the person rather than martial arts.
Posted by: Alistar

Re: Top 5 books for a beginner - 06/11/07 05:18 PM

i agree on what u said about Musachi's book of five rings.
it's about MA in general if you read it very concentrated.
the last part "no sword" is not so easy to understand, but it's all worth reading!
enjoy!
Posted by: badeofblade

Re: Top 5 books for a beginner - 07/14/07 01:03 PM

I'd say The Straight Lead by Teri Tom (even if you don't use it, it gives a GREAT feel for body mechanics in general), Commentaries On The Martial Way by Bruce Lee, Go Rin No Sho by Miyamoto Musashi, The Art of War by Sun Tzu, and maybe pick up a book on keeping a stance.