The Way of Kata: A Comprehensive Guide for Deciphe

Posted by: jc4199

The Way of Kata: A Comprehensive Guide for Deciphe - 01/19/06 02:44 AM

Has any one read this book. I am looking for a book on kata any help?
thanks
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: The Way of Kata: A Comprehensive Guide for Deciphe - 01/19/06 07:25 AM

Read it. Its a wonderful book, highly recommended.Even has a few refrences to the fighting arts web site!
Posted by: oldman

Re: The Way of Kata: A Comprehensive Guide for Dec - 01/19/06 10:11 AM

I have it and have read it. It is a good book. It does a good job in laying out the principles of gaining an understanding of how to decipher kata. I would not put it in to the catagory of a how to book. If you are a very visual learner a book like Bill Burgar's "Five years One Kata" may be more "practical" from an application standpoint.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: The Way of Kata: A Comprehensive Guide for Dec - 01/20/06 11:30 PM

I think how you evaluate 'The Way of Kata' depends where you are on the way. I find it more a compilation of material I've seen before rather than truly ground breaking. If one is just trying to understand where kata application study begins it may be a good reference, but it really represents only a beginning on the topic.

In honesty there is a quote from me about the potential use of chambering in the book, gathered from an article I wrote here on FightingArts.com.

I guess for having superior insight to quote me it must be ok <GRIN>.

Unfortunately I remain looking for something with greater depth in the study.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: The Way of Kata: A Comprehensive Guide for Dec - 02/22/06 11:32 AM

I liked it...but I'm biased to a book that is in the context of Goju.

It tended to try and be a bit too systematic with deciphering applications, but its not suppossed to be a book of step-by-step learning...it's more a book of learning how to learn by thinking in terms of principles. Some of the interpretations I disagreed with...but again, it wasn't a book of specific interpretations - more how to arrainge and prioritize the possibilities....whatever possibilities you happen to come up with.

Victor made a good point about it depending on where you are in your training. that makes a big difference with just about any book. It's the reason we can read 'Book of Five Rings' every 10 years during our lives and understand a new meaning each time.

so from where I'm standing today...this was a good book and worth the read.