Posted by: Cord

Re: Is it just me? - 09/26/05 10:51 AM

It is wise for a man without fear to avoid meeting a man without pity
Posted by: glad2bhere

Re: Is it just me? - 09/29/05 08:49 AM

"....Poster: Cord
Subject: Re: Is it just me?

It is wise for a man without fear to avoid meeting a man without pity ...."

Odd. I had come to believe this was the Purpose for which one trained.

There are many circumstances that exist in this world due to the motives of pity-less individuals.

If one cannot stand before such people, uncowed by one's own fear, and do the right thing, for what purpose have we trained? FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Is it just me? - 09/29/05 10:27 AM

man, are you off. it's all about controlling and managing fear, not muting or erasing fear.
Since fear is a lifelong teacher, a person without fear is unwise by definition.
A person who cannot control that fear is untrained.

Re: Is it just me? - 09/29/05 06:14 PM

Quote:

"....Poster: Cord
Subject: Re: Is it just me?

It is wise for a man without fear to avoid meeting a man without pity ...."

There are many circumstances that exist in this world due to the motives of pity-less individuals.

If one cannot stand before such people, uncowed by one's own fear, and do the right thing, for what purpose have we trained? FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

The man with fear knows to respect the lion, he walks the savannah armed, alert and only when necessary.

The man who truly has no fear merely goes for a stroll through the long grass in sandals taking with him nothing but a smile......

Re: Is it just me? - 09/29/05 10:42 PM

You were so anxious to get out a response you didn't even consider my post. If you had actually read the post, instead of looking for some way to feed your narcissism, you would realize that you just repeated what I wrote.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Is it just me? - 09/29/05 11:12 PM

Quote:

To my mind, you need what "I" have to offer a whole lot more than I need what you have to offer.

Your calling Cord narcissistic?

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 06:28 AM

Fact is that most of the posts, in fact, most of the themes for the posts pander to the most pedestrian views of martial arts. The result seems to be that even when something productive is offered most folks here simply don't know what to do with it. Case in point.

I offered to put a project very dear to my heart out on the table for people to discuss. The response was that I was "advertising. Well and good. Moderators took whatever actions they thought necessary. However--- THATS as far as things went. I don't see that anyone took the opportunity to actually talk about how things are organized or written or communicated. The discussion stopped with moderators pointing out that there had been an infraction. Now, maybe the folks here are happy with the level at which things are examined. Thats fine. But don't take exception to me saying that there is plenty of room for improvement and actually DOING something about it. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 07:11 AM

G2BH, I find it hugely amusing to be accused of narcisism by a man who takes every opertunity to tailor his posts in such a way to inferr his superiority of knowledge and 'martial attitude' over all other forum members. Narcissus is famous for examining his reflection, in respect to your criticism of me, i suggest you follow his example and look in the mirror.

*insert apathetic sign off here*

Cord
Posted by: harlan

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 07:31 AM

I don't know why this thread is under Martial Arts Books...I am finding in intensely amusing and think it should be moved to Chat.

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 07:49 AM

actually, I think he was talking about my reply. Bruce, you are wrong...the way you worded it made it sound as though the goal was to train for 'no fear'. I simply pointed out that training for 'no fear' was unwise.
If you were trying to say the same thing, then my appologies for rewording your post, it hasn't been the first time I've unintentionally done that in other's posts.

wondering why you felt the need to insult. you know how fragile we are here.

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 08:06 AM

No, Harlan, I don't agree. There is a very basic issue that needs to be examined and its a theme that permeates ALL of the areas on this website.

That issue is whether or not people here are going to continue with business as usual, or if they will accept full responsibility for developing a website and push for its development.

This is the same issue that face each and every endeavor in the Human experience regardless of the field. Sooner or later one has to ask if people are going to become self-satisfied with "business as usual" or if they are going to continue to refine and improve what they do and how they do it.

Some websites get tired of having their little boats rocked around and will kick people who are pushing for more off their sites. Some websites welcome innovation. In either case it is the responsibility of participants in these sites to do what they can to make them better. THIS is the piece that keeps getting lost. Folks can see change as a threat to what they know OR see change as an opportunity to look at things with better eyes. So far, what I get is that folks here see change as a threat to what they know. As far as I am concerned Mods are not just here to keep things as they are, but to shepard a process of on-going growth. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 09:13 AM

dont change the subject now...I'd like an explaination of your logic:

1. Cord wrote something about fear.
2. you disagreed.
3. I rewrote what Cord wrote (agreeing with the quote).
4. you accused me of just re-writing your post. and then change the subject.

lol...nice try. anyone see the logic flaw there? I think what actually happened Bruce is that after reading my explaination of Cord's quote, you realized you read the quote wrong. I admit, I had to read Cord's quote a few times before knowing what was meant...one of the thoughts along the way was the way you took it to mean...the difference was, I thought about it more before posting. The reason you can't admit this mistake is because you acussed me of doing exactly what you did: your Ego replied quicker than your wisdom.

want to change the subject, fine...none of this has anything to do with the original thread anyway. The first step to 'improvement' Bruce, is admitting mistakes. At first, I thought I was the one who err'd, looking at it closer I realize I was wrong, actually it was you covering up with a clever and subtle tactic in debate strategy. I retract the appology.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 09:17 AM

This conversation has nothing to do with Martial Arts books. 'Is It About Me'...sure if you want...but it has nothing to do with books.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 09:19 AM

Quote:

This conversation has nothing to do with Martial Arts books. 'Is It About Me'...sure if you want...but it has nothing to do with books.

My fault, harlan, it was never about a book. Did anybody actually look at the name of the book the review was for? I couldn't even tell you what it is.

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 09:44 AM

the flow of the thread is more or less related to the subtitle of the book 'Weaknesses Of The Human Anatomy' ...in this case, the Frontal Lobe.

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 12:33 PM

Dear Ed:

".....It is wise for a man without fear to avoid meeting a man without pity ...."

Best Wishes,

Bruce ......................."

How can I put this, nicely.

How about "you're kind of a moron, aren't you?"

Read the post, Ed. I did not "disagree" with ANYTHING. You're so hot to pick at anything I write that you can no longer read anything I write without finding fault with it either real, or imagined. Maybe you and Joel need to take up light housekeeping together.

Why not take some time over on BULLSHIDO. I'm quite sure you would fit right in with their take on things. You won't ever have to know what you are talking about. You won't have to advocate for anything, take any risks and you can pretend to be clever just like you do here.

Regards.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 12:54 PM

Bruce,
You have commented a number of times about "taking risks". Could you me to understand more clearly what you mean?

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 01:28 PM

why thankya Bruce.
I think you misunderstand the concept of a conversation in forums...see when you comment on something (in this case, a quote about fear) and start the comment with "Odd." then that typically means you see something wrong with the previous statement (quote) you are addressing.
Odd - Deviating from what is ordinary, usual, or expected; strange or peculiar:

if you thought the quote was a deviation from what you'd expect to be normal...then that is basically a disagreement.
got it?

oh yeah, and your ugly
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 02:01 PM

Quote:

How can I put this, nicely.

How about "you're kind of a moron, aren't you?"

Might I remind you that insulting other is against the forum rules. Please stop.

P.S-It's quite rude to insult someone who you won't even talk to. I didn't think you could get any lower, Bruce. Congrats, you proved me wrong.

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 03:21 PM

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 03:49 PM

is it insults when someone tells the truth? I mean if I can prove he's ugly, will that contitute a violation of said forum rules?

It doesn't need to be proven if I'm a moron or not....I'll save you the trouble and admit that I am hopelessly moronic.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 04:10 PM

I think this whole thread is ugly...............FWIW.

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 05:57 PM

Bringing this back all the way to the start. My piece of fortune cookie wisdom (please notice the big grin emoticon at the end of it g2bh), was in relation to the review that Joel asked those who followed the link to pay specific attention to.

The review read: 'This is a great book, with the knowledge I'm not afraid of anyone'

My quote was merely a yoda like way of saying that a guy with false confidence imbued unto him by the reading of a book is going to get a very rude awakening should he ever put his 'skills' to the test.

I see nothing odd, or revolutionary in this logic, and g2bh spectacularly mis-interperated my dim sum of sage wisdom involve trained martialartists and fear control.
My subsequent continuation of metaphor was to make a distinction between a trained person, who uses their fear as an aid to keep them safe, and a complete muppett with no self preservation instinct.

There, now the author has clarified his standpoint.

Glad, you really arent a nice person are you? you are like Frasier Crane except without the dry humour or a good quality script to dilute your delusions of superiority.

I like the forum as it is, i like the people here, I like the rules and the environment they maintain.What would you like to change exactly? We go round in circles on this all the time. Your criticisms are always vague and when asked to be constructive and post a thread that is more on your wavelength, you decline. Stop heckling from the cheap seats and get on the stage. Failing that go down the bar with your kwan and leave us plebs to our unworthy mutterings.

FWIW

Cord

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 09:03 PM

".....I like the forum as it is, i like the people here, I like the rules and the environment they maintain.What would you like to change exactly? We go round in circles on this all the time. Your criticisms are always vague and when asked to be constructive and post a thread that is more on your wavelength, you decline. Stop heckling from the cheap seats and get on the stage. Failing that go down the bar with your kwan and leave us plebs to our unworthy mutterings....."

Yes and therein lies the rub. None of this is about informing, or being right, or being smart or the rest of that.

In a nutshell its about people who have a particular way of looking at things and would rather not be bothered with anything at odds with how they see the world coming together. This would not be so bad but these are the same people who [censored] and moan about the shortcommings of the MA community. Excuse me, you dolts, but how, exactly, did you think things came to be the way they are, anyhow?

If you would bother to go back to the 50-s and 60-s you will find that the way things are now had their start there. But noone would challenge things because it was considered rude and disrespectful to do so. Pretty soon the way things were became the way things are.

I remember that BULLSHIDO had a banner about "moving martial arts in a new direction". They don't have it on their frontpage anymore because it was so obvious that there was no "new direction" just "new drivers" going in the same direction.

I keep getting asked for answers, corrections and information but thats not really what you are interested in. Your post put it just right.

You LIKE things the way they are. You WANT things the way they are. If I gave any information, answered questions or responded to your barbs they would be taken as just more straightlines to have fun with. This isn't about martial arts. Its about a bunch of kids with a toy. But do us all a favor and at least quit pretending that what you do has any of the best interests of the MA in mind. We both know its not true.

Regards.

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 09:46 PM

I'll take the neutral ground and say, the best interest anyone can serve MA is to be true to their own Art.

At this point Bruce I'm realizing that sad personality types like yourself do not add to the Art I wish to practice. I'm finally casting my vote for you off of the forum.
You need help, and I'm simply not qualified to help you. Good Luck.

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 10:53 PM

Oh, gee, Ed. You are casting a vote to put me off the forum. Gee, what were the chances of that, I wonder.

Is this like showing up on BULLSHIDO and stating that I was being sued?

Is this like baiting me on WARRIOR-SCHOLAR?

You did mention that you are a computer engineer. Did you happen to share with people what you do with your computer work--- I mean as far as the MA goes?

Come to think of it, you're kind of a well..... kind of a weasel that way aren't you? You turn-up, make allegations and unsupported insinuations and then kinda sit back and see what happens. Just enough to keep the fires stoked, right? Except in this case anyone here can go back and check the pattern of your posting and see how when things started to simmer down you found an opportunity to stoke thing up again.

Regards.

Re: Is it just me? - 09/30/05 11:15 PM

I've never even been on WARRIOR-SCHOLAR.
and why do you keep replying to me?

Re: Is it just me? - 10/01/05 03:30 AM

g2bh, It would be nice if, just once, you replied directly to questions put to you, as opposed to using others posts as springboards from which to leap into rants that go off on tangents.Avoidance is the best defence no?

Your keen progressive mind always becomes remarkably vague when asked to defend a specific point.
You complain about people bemoaning the state of the arts today without doing anything about it, yet on this forum I find the overiding outlook is one of enthusiasm and love of the arts. In fact the only person to consistently jump on their soapbox about their frustration with MA in general is you. Again, a projection of your own agenda onto others.

When did MA start to make you so miserable? It is a shame that something you once loved has made you so bitter that you feel you have to vent your frustration at a group of people minding their own buisness. A bit like a vagrant,drunk on meths hassling a group of people queing to get into the cinema. They look at their feet, nervous, embarassed, ignoring him, but still he stays shouting and shaking his fists,but they will never understand his anger.

You ask how best to serve the arts. Number one is to show a little humility and courtesy to fellow martial artists no matter what their rank. Your jibes at joel and your referring to us in general as 'kids with a new toy' are tantamount to saying 'I have more stripes on my belt so I know best'. Skill and experience are only of value if used positively. Besides, their is always someone with more of both.

Your attitude and demeanor are such that do the arts no service at all, and if becoming a senior member of the MA community ensured I would adopt an outlook such as yours, I would ensure I remained a novice for my entire life.

incidentaly, people who tend to say FWIW a lot, generaly already know that the answer is 'not much'

Cord
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: Is it just me? - 10/01/05 04:39 AM

CORD!!!!! I resent that remark toward Mr. Bruce.

I am another individual who consistently complains about MA in general, on a regular basis.