On Single Combat

Posted by: Tezza

On Single Combat - 09/17/05 07:54 AM

Hi guys I have just read a book called 'On Single Combat' once again and just thought that I would tell you guys. If there is anyone training in Wing Tsun this is a great book it goes through the basic movements and much more.
It was originally written by a man called Keith Kernspecht who was a 9th degree master of Wing Tsun and has also trained in many other systems.
I thought that I would tell you guys about it as I found it very interesting even after reading it twice.
A must have for anyone training in Wing Tsun
Posted by: MAGr

Re: On Single Combat - 09/19/05 08:11 AM

Quote:

I thought that I would tell you guys about it as I found it very interesting even after reading it twice.

I will check it out thank you.

Quote:

There is no such thing in wing chun. Firstly there is no belt system in kung fu and use of it makes sense only to compare levels within an organisation.
In my school for example, the maximum is 3rd degree BB. I am just saying that to illustrate the fact that advertising yourself as a 9th degree BB is just that, advertising. It makes no sense outside the organisation and is of no use for skills comparison.

Re: On Single Combat - 09/19/05 12:03 PM

Hi MAGr. I am just saying what it says in his book that he is a 9th degree master of wing tsun. And I no there isnt a belt system but there is a grading system it works with badges not belts and I guess he is talking about that. And I understand what you are saying and agree but I was just giving you some information about his background.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: On Single Combat - 09/20/05 07:00 AM

Anyway, the lack of universal grading standards is not just a WC/WT thing, they have those problems in karate and other arts also.
Book, sounds good, I read a review and I will probably get it in the future.
What kind of stuff does it contain, because the review didnt say much.

Re: On Single Combat - 09/20/05 11:24 AM

It starts off about reaction time in a fight and then goes onto information aout the basic moves. I.e bong sao, fook sao, tan sao, etc. I found it very good although you may have different opinions. I found some of the facts very useful. It also gives you a bit about the history in wing tsun and other martials arts for example what country did martial arts start off in.
Posted by: pk2000

Re: On Single Combat - 12/06/05 02:08 PM

Quote:

Anyway, the lack of universal grading standards is not just a WC/WT thing, they have those problems in karate and other arts also.
Book, sounds good, I read a review and I will probably get it in the future.
What kind of stuff does it contain, because the review didnt say much.

Just to give yoa perspective. WT has 12 student grades and 12 instructor grades. the instructor grades are as follows 1-4 technican, 5-8 practitioner (master), 9-12 grandmaster. all the physical parts of the WT are learned by instructor 8lvl. 9-11 grandmaster levels add philosofical study. Grandmaster 12 is granted only after you are dead. so instructor lvl 9 is pretty damn high. in actuality he is the second guy in the art after Leung Ting.

and the review of this book can be found here On Single Combat review.

Re: On Single Combat - 12/06/05 02:42 PM

Its a good book. I was impressed.
He is flying over from Germany to host a seminar here in England next weekend. Its in tunbridge wells if anyone here was interested. I wanted to go but I am busy sadly. It would have been good