IYHO: What is the best version of Book of 5 Rings?

Posted by: harlan

IYHO: What is the best version of Book of 5 Rings? - 09/09/05 08:29 PM

I believe I read somewhere that there were about five (English) translations of Musashi's 'Book of Five Rings'. I have read the Kaufman ( ) and V. Harris versions. Would appreciate recommendations on other versions, or best to read.

Thank you.
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: IYHO: What is the best version of Book of 5 Ri - 09/10/05 08:22 AM

I've read a few versions of it and I've concluded that Victor Harris's version is probably the best one for me.

And of course Kauffmans is just a joke, I can't believe anyone would publish that.
Posted by: Ktulu

Re: IYHO: What is the best version of Book of 5 Ri - 09/22/05 09:00 AM

The original copy written by musashi's hand would be the best.

but william scott wilson i think would be best translation. i have many of his books. hes a good author period.
Posted by: Jack_Boot

Re: IYHO: What is the best version of Book of 5 Rings? - 09/29/05 05:53 PM

I've recently read Miyamoto Musashi: His Life and Writings, by Kenji Tokitsu, Shambhala Press 2004. It contains a complete translation of the Gorin no sho, along with complete or partial translations of Musashi's other extant writings. It also reproduces many of Musashi's known paintings, and includes a history of Musashi that attempts to be definitive. It also has essays on Budo, weapons and ethics in swordsmanship training, extensive notes by the author on his translations, etc.
The author, Kenji Tokitsu, is a Japanese born karate instructor who lives in Paris. He also holds doctoral degrees in sociology and Japanese language and civilization.
I enjoyed this book, and the amount of practical experience that the author brought to bear on this historical subject. I recommend it.
Posted by: WuXing

Re: IYHO: What is the best version of Book of 5 Rings? - 11/04/05 12:28 PM

Shambhala dragon edition, translated by Thomas Cleary, is a good version. That edition also has Yagyu Family Traditions on the Art of War, by Yagyu Munenori. That is a great exposition on zen and martial arts.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: IYHO: What is the best version of Book of 5 Ri - 11/04/05 01:03 PM

paradoxbox,

Why is Kauffman's translation a joke? (I'm not being confrontational, I really want to know why you feel this way)

Thanks!

Re: IYHO: What is the best version of Book of 5 Ri - 11/04/05 01:08 PM

I bought Kaufman's version, and was happy at the time. But while I was reading, I found the way he used modern examples 'jarring'...out of context. I then read another version (I think V. Smith? V. French? not sure)...and it was less wordy...different. By comparing, I realized that translation/interpretation makes a BIG difference.
Posted by: traq

Re: IYHO: What is the best version of Book of 5 Ri - 11/18/05 07:30 PM

I've only ever read Kaufman's version of the 5 Rings, but I have read some other books translated by Wilson - Hagakure, for one. His work seems very directly translated, while Kaufman's translating seems to use more modern language. This makes it easier for *most* people to read, but as you say, can make a big difference when it comes to interpretation.

I guess it all comes down to whether you like your Anime dubbed or subtitled
Posted by: hyaku

Re: IYHO: What is the best version of Book of 5 Rings? - 01/04/06 10:03 PM

Musashi deliberately wrote the original in an ambiguous manner. Translate this into English and it becomes even more so. Unless one actually does HNIR the full meaning will never come across. Even then it needs to be read many many times. Musashi had asked for it to be destroyed but his students copied it feeling it to be valuable a there was little written at that period in history. But it was not handed down to promulgate the Ryu.

I would recommend reading the Thomas Cleary edition which also has Yagyu translations. In edition one can read the original and first translation by Victor Harris and the latest by Kenji Tokitsu which is also of historical reference about Musashi's life.

http://ejmas.com/tin/2004tin/tinart_watkin_2_1104.html

Of course Scott Wilson is also good
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: IYHO: What is the best version of Book of 5 Ri - 01/14/06 06:59 PM

i have the william scott wilson version and haven't read any of the others. i like because it feels like a very direct translation so the experience and wisdom really comes across.
Posted by: imcrazy

Re: IYHO: What is the best version of Book of 5 Ri - 01/29/06 06:55 PM

Well from what I've found, its seems William Scott Wilson's version is said to be the best. Now I haven't read it so I can't say, but I found this very interesting review:

http://www.koryubooks.com/store/bookoffiverings.html

Online version of Five Rings, by V. Harris - 02/13/06 10:07 AM

Something funky going on with the code/site...you may have to scroll down (past a lot of empty space) to find the book:

http://www.livesword.com/Article/Book.of.Five.Rings.asp
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Online version of Five Rings, by V. Harris - 02/13/06 11:24 AM

side note: harlan, giving your signature line a 5-ring to it....

"Leaves Cut."