most useful books

Posted by: specter

most useful books - 06/25/05 07:28 PM

Hey guys. im about to get some money to buy a few good books soon and was just wandering what martial art books youve found to be the most useful when it comes to working out or practicing the martial arts. books like stretching scientifically or the art of expressing the human body. ones that help you learn more about the sciences and methodology of practicing the martial arts that are efficient for you to use. Which books have you found to best help you with this?
thanks in advance,
specter
Posted by: Gino

Re: most useful books - 06/27/05 09:00 PM

Start with "Living The Martial Way" by Forrest Morgan.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: most useful books - 06/27/05 10:31 PM

I fopund the Tao of Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee) to be a very informative read. He gives very specific, technical information on foot work, setting up strikes, even some grappling.

A very scattered read (just a mish-mosh of his personal notes complied together), but it's almost like getting personal lessons from the man himself. Recommended.
Posted by: pathfinder7195

Re: most useful books - 06/29/05 12:55 AM

"Scholar Warrior" By Deng Ming-Dao
Posted by: yuji1000

Re: most useful books - 08/16/05 01:46 AM

yes, i would definitly agree with "living the martial way", plus hagakure and kodo by kensho furuya, they are not about the physical aspect of ma but they are good books in my opinion. train hard!
Posted by: harlan

Re: most useful books - 08/16/05 08:16 AM

"The most USEful book"? I think I spent about $800 on books last year that touched on different aspects of my MA journey. Meditation, philosophy, history, fiction...topics ranging from 'abisheka' to 'zen'...all edifying but useful?

As a newbie interested in learning Bo, I liked 'Stick Fighting' by Masaaki Hatsumi because of the introduction to concepts of 'offline' and 'trapping', 'Jodo' by Dave Lowry and 'Bo' by Fumio Demura.
Posted by: schanne

Re: most useful books - 09/06/05 10:54 AM

Best MA book I read
Posted by: Cord

Re: most useful books - 09/08/05 04:37 PM

most usefull book for those about to start their journey into the mA's has got to be the Yellow pages
Posted by: Paranormalma

Re: most useful books - 10/29/05 10:28 PM

But those rare gems are rarely advertised
Posted by: sprinter64

Re: most useful books - 11/09/05 09:44 PM

Personaly I got a very good book called Flashing Steel by some japanese dude (no offense meant i just can't find the author)*bows* anyway its a good intro and includes a synopsis of the eyes of a samurai, zanshin, and other concepts of the samurai and how to apply them. It also gives amazingly detailed waza demonstrations. That book is my quick edu. in iaido.
Posted by: robot_mantis

Re: most useful books - 11/14/05 02:02 AM

Training and Fighting skills by Benny Urquidez. Very detailed info about every aspect of fighting except for groundwork. He shows a lot of different footwork, counters, blocks, evasions, combos, stretches, bodyweight excercises, and tells a lot of info about his numerous fights. All my best combinations came from this book.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: most useful books - 12/18/05 09:14 AM

Quote:

most usefull book for those about to start their journey into the mA's has got to be the Yellow pages

for me that was pretty useless. would it kill the good dojos to stick their names in?
Posted by: ETHOS

Re: most useful books - 12/23/05 12:45 AM

Right on!
Posted by: devinw

Re: most useful books - 12/26/05 12:17 AM

I ENJOYED this book when I first got it in 1982 and I still re-read it from time to time. one can buy it at Amazon.com starting at from $1.75

Humbly posted,
Devin Willis