What Jujitsu book would u recommend?

Posted by: DefenselessChild

What Jujitsu book would u recommend? - 05/29/05 04:04 PM

I'm looking into Jujitsu to improve my ground fighting. At the moment attending more martial arts classes would be impossible so a book couldn't hurt. I'm looking for a good book on the basics of Brazilian Jujitsu's groundfighting methods. I would definitely prefer the author to be an experienced practitioner himself/herself. (one of the Gracie's for instance) Could any of you recommend such a book?
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: What Jujitsu book would u recommend? - 05/31/05 06:56 AM

I really like "Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu- Theory and Technique" by Renzo and Royler Gracie.

I use it almost every day.

Page
Posted by: Paranormalma

Re: What Jujitsu book would u recommend? - 07/23/05 11:16 PM

Even though I don't train in BJJ, I think that that is a good choice as well, more any martial artist.

I heard Simco's Master Text is supposed to be better...any thoughts on that (I haven't read it yet)?
Posted by: FastLikeATurtle

Re: What Jujitsu book would u recommend? - 08/09/05 12:18 PM

If you havent bought a book yet I recommend Mastering Jujitsu by Renzo Gracie.Very well written with clear easy to follow photos.

Check it out>
Posted by: SubZero

Re: What Jujitsu book would u recommend? - 12/08/05 06:58 PM

I know my instructor has gotten a book published, I think it's called Juji Gatame: Secrets of the Cross-Body Armlock. He's a 7th dan and been doing this for a long time so check it out if you can find it.

He's Kodokan, not BJJ, but hey a juji's a juji, right?
Posted by: oldman

Re: What Jujitsu book would u recommend? - 12/08/05 11:05 PM

Subzero's teacher also has a very good book available on "Coaching" that crosses over arts well in that it's not judo specific. It is going to be available on Gene Labell website.
The author is Steve Scott. There are a ton of books out there now. The Machados, Eddie Bravo, and a bunch of NHB titles. Go to Amazon and surf.
Posted by: Aka_Ryu

Re: What Jujitsu book would u recommend? - 12/11/05 04:58 PM

The book that i use is no BJJ but its still good all the same. Its called Martial arts bascis Ju Jitsu. It was written by Soke Kevin Pell 8th Dan and it contains 40 cards that explain techiques clearly.
Posted by: SubZero

Re: What Jujitsu book would u recommend? - 12/15/05 07:17 PM

Thank God that the Canon of Judo by Mifune is being republished with a better translation so I can ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND what the hell he's talking about.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: What Jujitsu book would u recommend? - 12/17/05 05:12 PM

Quote:

If you havent bought a book yet I recommend Mastering Jujitsu by Renzo Gracie.Very well written with clear easy to follow photos.

I have the same book...but uhhhh..don't tell MattJ...