Book translation wish-list...

Posted by: Kintama

Book translation wish-list... - 05/17/05 11:57 PM

It would be interesting to gather a list of MA books that you think would make worthy candidates for translation in the future.

To start, there is one that I don't know the title to yet...it was a compilation of interviews with master Tani (shukokai), Master Nagamine(matsubayashi), and a whole who's who list (I think from the 1950's or 60's). Need to research that one more for a title.

Re: Book translation wish-list... - 05/18/05 07:11 AM

resource to start with:
http://museum.hikari.us/books/
Posted by: harlan

Re: Book translation wish-list... - 09/08/05 10:48 PM

Gratuitous bump...am interested in this topic.
Anyone with anything to add to the wish list? Any news on anything recently translated?

Re: Book translation wish-list... - 09/09/05 12:25 AM

found one, it's been out since 2001! -I saw a Japanese version of the cover and thought it was never translated. I had it reversed...it was originally published in English and later translated to Japanese. lol
has interviews of some contemporary greats.
ordered it right on Amazon for $16.
"Budo Masters:" by Michael Clarke

description:
This title features questions and answers on martial arts from the masters themselves: How did these men train? Has the training changed over the years? Are Western people able to endure this kind of training? The book should provide insights to students and teachers alike.
Interviews with Suzuki, O'Tani, Kimura, Sugano, Nagamine, Seiryu, Kanazawa, De Jong and Miyazato are included.

cover:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/187425026X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Posted by: imcrazy

Re: Book translation wish-list... - 09/09/05 12:36 AM

You just reminded me Kintama of another great reason to learn Japanese. I start taking it tomorrow in University wish me luck!

All the books I can think of have already been translated into english. However there may be a few by such greats as Hatsumi Masaaki (or even a few from those lesser known masters that had a wealth of knowledge that lived back in the earlier 1900s or even 1800s) that have not been translated yet. Its something I will want to look into thats for sure.