Martial arts kanji dictionary

Posted by: Swoop

Martial arts kanji dictionary - 09/18/03 05:09 AM

I am in the process of compiling an english/japanese Martial arts Kanji dictionary, and although this started out as a personal study, it has grown and grown. It is getting to publishable state, and I wonder what the demand for such a book would be.

There are four sections;-

1. An introduction to the japanese language, both written and spoken. An explanation of the various influences on the terms used in martial arts, including chinese, and okinawan influeces. Japanese counting system, and prefix`x and suffix`s.

2. An alpabetical individual kanji, showing there standard meaings, and cross references to the Martial arts terms they are used in.

3. Alphabetical martial arts terms, with cross references to similar or related techniques, and also showing alternative names for the same technique.

4. Appendix. Showing listings by topics of interest, such as dojo gorei, martial styles, weapons of the body, kata, and different kihon by type.

Covering most of the japanese arts, but keeping away from the names of particular schools of a style, and concentrating on the techniques, and forms.

There are lots of homonyms in the japanese language, and the only way to correctly understand them is to go back to the kanji.

Currently standing at about 360 pages long it is a very good (sorry about the self praise) source of cross-referencing the martial arts terminology, and the individual kanji. The majority of the japanese compounds included cannot be found in any
standard english/japanese dictionaries.

Anyway, If you have the time, I would like some feed back.

Peter Swallow.
Posted by: Tang Sou

Re: Martial arts kanji dictionary - 03/13/04 10:07 AM

Since kanji comes from Chinese rather than Japanese, would this be the same as the manderin Chinese that my nartial arts lessons are taught in?

Re: Martial arts kanji dictionary - 03/14/04 06:37 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tang Sou:
Since kanji comes from Chinese rather than Japanese, would this be the same as the manderin Chinese that my nartial arts lessons are taught in?[/QUOTE]

Re: Martial arts kanji dictionary - 03/14/04 06:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tang Sou:
Since kanji comes from Chinese rather than Japanese, would this be the same as the manderin Chinese that my nartial arts lessons are taught in?[/QUOTE]

The historical kanji would be the same, but as there were independant simplifications of kanji in both china and japan, there are some modern (post 1948) differences. If you can read written mandarin then, although japanese based, it could be useful to you.

Peter Swallow.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Martial arts kanji dictionary - 12/19/04 09:58 PM

Noticed this older post. What happened with the book? I'm interested in the subject if you're still around.