MA magazine or journal?

Posted by: Anonymous

MA magazine or journal? - 11/14/04 03:17 PM

Does anyone subscribe to a good martial arts journal or magazine? Seems like all of the current issues on newsstands today are nothing more than advertisements, with articles such as "How To Execute A Proper Reverse Punch" or the latest results from some NHB tournaments. Any recommendations?

Re: MA magazine or journal? - 11/15/04 08:11 AM

i know what you mean about the "news stand" publications. alot of fluff. although some have "hidden gems" like dave lowry's monthly articles in Black Belt Mag.

If you're into japanese/okinawan karate, Dragon Times can be a good read. Alot of historical research there, but it's A quality and the practical articles are usually good too.
Posted by: Alejandro

Re: MA magazine or journal? - 11/19/04 03:38 PM

Classical Fighting Arts (published by Dragon Times), is excellent! It is composed of hirstorical and technical articles on Japanese, Chinese, and Okinawan arts, with a focus on Okinawan Karate. Another great one is The Journal of Aisian Fighting Arts. The articles are interesting and long, focusing again on the east asian arts, and mostly composed of historical and theoretical research articles. Eleven of the editors for the Journal are Ph.Ds, so there you go! Both are published four times a year(or maybe six?), are available at SOME Barnes $ Noble bookstores, although are hard to find, and are available for subscription, of course.
Definitely a big step up( for the classical warrior), from Black Belt Mag!

-Al

By the way: who saw the latest issue of Black Belt with the cover article featuring XMA? Pathetic; and they're doing a part two of the article next month!

Re: MA magazine or journal? - 11/20/04 05:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I'll check out Dragon Times and Classical Fighting Arts.

Re: MA magazine or journal? - 11/21/04 07:37 PM

Incidently, sweep, one of my students lent me Dave Lowery's book, "Moving Toward Stillness" which is a compilation of many of his essays, some probably appeared in Black Belt mag. or other newstand MA publications. VERY cool reading.