Pressure Point Book?

Posted by: Anonymous

Pressure Point Book? - 08/13/04 11:46 AM

Hi, I am a Kenpo practioner and new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone in the forum could recommend a book on pressure points, something I could use with my kenpo techniques and strikes. I did a search on the web, but there is so many I don't know which one to buy.

Re: Pressure Point Book? - 11/23/04 09:06 PM

George Dillman is a recognized authority on this subject but he approaches the topic from his karate background. Erle Montaigue has several books on Dim Mak from an internal Chinese perspective. I don't know what branch of kenpo you train in and if you have checked out Ed Parker's series of books on kenpo. I've not read them so I don't know if they contain what you are seeking. From what I've seen in kenpo circles is this skill is developed through the practice of chin-na. I have a catalog with lots of books and it seems kenpo practioners are not prolific writers. Sifu David German does have videos and one specifically addresses the connection of kenpo and chin-na. What I know of the subject is boiled down to the simplest of terms. Any soft cavity in the human body is a pressure point in which pain can be afflicted by pressing or striking. As for the more complicated, such as meridians and so forth, like I said start with Dillman and look around. Good Luck.

Re: Pressure Point Book? - 12/13/04 02:55 PM

Gotta go with Dillman. I have many books on PP's and so many are so full of nonsense. Dillman's are good, but for real treasures you want to look at older martial arts texts which have the original information in them.

Mark.

Re: Pressure Point Book? - 01/31/05 03:31 PM

Mark:

Other than the Bubishi, can you give me a couple of examples of what you mean in regards to "older martial arts texts which have the original information in them"?

Thanks for the clarificaiton.

Re: Pressure Point Book? - 02/02/05 09:11 AM

I'm thinking more about the texts that are cited in works like the Bubishi. The original texts often differ when they are translated, and were all censored after WW2.

If you dig, there are things to find. However, this kind of research isn't easy, and I assume costs a fortune.

Mark.