Isshinryu Naihanchi Kata, Secrets Revealed

Posted by: creative

Isshinryu Naihanchi Kata, Secrets Revealed - 07/05/04 07:56 AM

Q1) Has anyone read this book? Oppinions
Q2) Where can you get this book from? Is it still in print?

Thank you very much [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Isshinryu Naihanchi Kata, Secrets Revealed - 07/17/04 08:48 PM

This book is one of a series of karate texts written by Javier Martinez.

It fairly presents Martinez Sensei's thoughts on Nihanchi Kata (Isshinryu style) and the applications he presents. Thus the secrets revealed are from his point of view.

Isshinryu on the whole is a clannish lot of artists. What one group holds as important may not be seen that way by other groups within the system. Of course the same can be said equally about one style versus another style too. Thus it is difficult to answer any authors worth, it depends on the reader's point of view.

In this and all cases, Martinez Senei and others must be commended. They are publically expressing their knowledge. That is a challenging issue in all days and it will always give one pause to reflect on their answers. The true worth of any book.

Thus the relevence of Martinez Sensei's answers depends on one's point of view.

I believe all of his works were private printings and have heard no discussion about further re-issuing of this work.

Another possiblity is Motobu Choki's "Karate My Art" translated by Patrick McCarthy. Motobu Sensei was one of the instructors of Isshinryu's founder, Shimabuku Tatsuo.

Pleasantly,

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu
Posted by: creative

Re: Isshinryu Naihanchi Kata, Secrets Revealed - 07/19/04 11:21 AM

Thanks for your post. Does My Karate contain much information about the tekki kata? I am currently trying to take as much from the tekki (shoudan) kata as possible. Before i really started to look in to all of the bunkai, I would have said that tekki was possibly the worst kata! Thankfully now im not so ignroant!
Any other information/ suggested reading about Tekki would be greatly appriceiated(sp)

Creative
(sorry bout all the spelling, im in a bit of a rush!)