Modern society combats booklist

Posted by: raccoon

Modern society combats booklist - 04/04/03 06:28 PM

What's your top 3 recommanded books for modern combats? (stree fight/ self defense type).

I am not really looking for books that talk about techniques. I am more interested in books that discuss the sociology of violence, psychology of combats/ aggression; violence and the law; and physiology of combats etc. But any good read that's relevant will be greatly appreciated.

-raccoon
Posted by: taebot

Re: Modern society combats booklist - 04/05/03 04:57 AM

Honestly I don't think you need anything more than "GO RIN NO SHO."

Have yet to find a comparable work.
Posted by: Jamoni

Re: Modern society combats booklist - 04/05/03 06:25 AM

1. "Tao of Jeet Kune Do", Bruce Lee
2. "Combat Strategy", Hanho
3. "Autumn Wind", Dave Lowry (Especially since you study Iaido)

I also recommend "Peace is Every Step", Thic Naht Hanh

Re: Modern society combats booklist - 04/05/03 08:56 AM

Thanx, time to hit the library...

BTW, I am very curious about how Iaido would help me on the street!!

-raccoon

Re: Modern society combats booklist - 04/05/03 08:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jamoni:
1. "Tao of Jeet Kune Do", Bruce Lee
2. "Combat Strategy", Hanho
3. "Autumn Wind", Dave Lowry (Especially since you study Iaido)

I also recommend "Peace is Every Step", Thic Naht Hanh
[/QUOTE]

Thanx again, it looks like Combat Strategy is out of print, and I couldn't find Autumn Wind at all. Would you happen to be referring to Autumn Lightning?

-raccoon

Re: Modern society combats booklist - 04/05/03 10:33 PM

Yeah, "Autumn Lightning". I was kind of hungover when I made that post. Sorry. The Combat Strategy book is pretty basic, but that's what I like about it. Try searching here: http://www.abebooks.com/
Posted by: xerxes

Re: Modern society combats booklist - 05/20/03 08:04 AM

I will give you more than three because they are really useful and you should know about all of them. I will seperate by author. You seemed to indicate you wanted to delve into overall thinking and strategy(psychology, sociology, awareness, etc). These are the books you need.

Marc "Animal" MacYoung

I list his books in the order that they should be read. The first few are not "technique" books at all. Even his "technique" books are more about general concepts than technique; and concept is more important than technique anyway.

1. Cheap Shots, Ambushes, and Other Lessons: A Down and Dirty Book on Streetfighting and Survival

2. Violence, Blunders, and Fractured Jaws: Advanced Awareness Techniques and Street Etiquette

3. Street E & E: Evading, Escaping, and Other Ways to Save your Ass When Things Get Ugly

4. Safe in the City: A Sreetwise Guide to Avoid Being Robbed, Raped, Ripped Off, or Run Over

5. Fists, Wits, and a Wicked Right: Surviving on the Wild Side of the Street

6. Floor Fighting: Stompings, Maimings, and Other Things to Avoid When a Fight Goes to the Ground

7. Knives, Knife Fighting, and Related Hassles: How to Survive a REAL Knife Fight

8. Pool Cues, Beer Bottles, and Baseball Bats: Animal's Guide to Improvised Weapons for Self-defense and Survival

9. Taking It to the Street: Making Your Martial Art Street Effective

10. Ending Violence Quickly: How Bouncers, Bodyguards, and Other Security Professionals Handle Ugly Situations
-------------------------

Put 'em Down, Take 'em Out: Knifefighting Techniques From Folsom Prison
by Don Pentecost

You might as well find out what a former prison inmate thinks about knifefighting since there is alot of it going on in our prisons.
------------------------------------

Peyton Quinn

A Bouncer's Guide to Barroom Brawling: Dealing with the Sucker Puncher, Street Fighter, and Ambusher

Real Fighting: Adrenaline Stress Conditioning Through Scenario Based Training
---------------------------------------

Martial Arts and the Law
by Dr. Karl J. Duff
---------------------------------

The Law and Martial Arts
by Carl Brown
Posted by: Quan Chi

Re: Modern society combats booklist - 05/20/03 03:15 PM

Hey I'm basically after the same kind of thing and I was interested in Fists, Wits and a Wicked Right" by Marc McYoung - what is it exactly about... I got the impression that it was mostly psychology with some punching tips etc. thrown in?
And what about "A Bouncer's Guide to Barroom Brawling: Dealing with the Sucker Puncher, Street Fighter, and Ambusher"?

Re: Modern society combats booklist - 05/20/03 06:56 PM

Xerxes, do you WORK for Paladdin Press? hehehe. You forgot Poor Man's James Bond.
Posted by: xerxes

Re: Modern society combats booklist - 05/21/03 12:08 PM

Quan Chi,

No, "Fists, Wits" is not really psychology, strategy, etc. It is pretty much a technique book. How to hit, targets for hitting and the effect of hitting that target, etc. Read my post again. For MacYoung's books I recommend you start with "Cheap Shots".

Bouncer's Guide is partly technique, partly strategy and theory. It is a good book.

Jamoni,

No, I don't work for them. If I did they would be giving me money instead of me giving them money. Yeah, Yeah, I know. When I wrote the post I knew it would look like an ad for Palladin. But, all those books are useful. All of MacYoung's books are good and some are down right masterpieces. Quinn's stuff is good , too. No, I am not a Palladin Press zombie. I disagree with some of what MacYoung and Quinn have to say.

BTW, I'll have you know that two of those books are not Palladin. So there.

I never read Poor Man's James Bond. What is it about?

Re: Modern society combats booklist - 05/23/03 06:24 PM

Xerxes, Poor Man's James bond is just what it sounds like: make your own lock picks and spy-stuff. It seems lame. I have ordered a few books from them. Check out Ned Beaumont's "Championship Streetfighting" from Loompanics.

[This message has been edited by Jamoni (edited 05-23-2003).]
Posted by: MAGon

Re: Modern society combats booklist - 11/07/04 10:28 AM

I thought I'd resurrect this old thread to see if I could get some feedback from the original posters.
Browsing around, looking for a good read on the MAs, I bumped into the foreword for "Taking it to the Streets", By Marc "Animal" McYoung. I'd heard mixed opinions about him from MArtists I respect, so I was a bit surprised at how reasonable and reasoned he sounded, enough to intrigue me. But I tend to be cautious about spending my hard earned money on MA/ self defense books because of the many self styled "Masters" out there, so I thought I'd ask around first.
Has anyone here read this book, or any others by Mcyoung and would care to share their opinion? Any opinions on McYoung in general?
Thanks in advance.