Motobu Choki's 1932 , "Watashi no Karate-jutsu,"

Posted by: Koryu Uchinadi

Motobu Choki's 1932 , "Watashi no Karate-jutsu," - 01/18/02 09:46 PM

Dear friends,

At long last our Japanese to English translation of Motobu Choki's 1932 publication, "Watashi no Karate-jutsu," is finally completed.

Just sent off to the printers, and due out the 14 of February, the publication is approximately 120 pages in the same size and format as our Funakoshi Gichin publication, "Tanpenshu." The cost of this publication is $24.95 (USD), which includes airmail shipping.

We've decided to make a limited run of only 1000 books and sell them on a first-come-first-serve basis. Those interested in more information can visit our web site located www.society.webcentral.com.au

Cordially

Patrick McCarthy www.society.webcentral.com.au
"Education is what survives when what has been learnt has been forgotten."
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Motobu Choki's 1932 , "Watashi no Karate-jutsu," - 05/02/02 01:20 PM

Patrick and Yuriko McCarthy have prepared an excellent book in “Motobu Choki – Karate, My Art” (published by the International Ryukyu Karate-jutsu Research Society).

It contains their translation of Motobu’s “Watashi no Karate-jutsu” or “My Art of Karate”, originally published in 1932, and an impressive amount of other’s writings on Motobu and his impact on the development of Karate in the 20th Century.

Being able to read Motobu’s own thoughts on his art and studies from the 1930’s is impressive enough, but this book gives you multiple impressions of Motobu from friends, students and contemporaries.

Motobu Choki had an enormous impact on the development of Karate in Japan. It seems to me all of his contemporaries took a giant step forward in their desire to share their art in Japan when he used his training to defeat a foreign boxer. His victory established Karate’s existence as a credible martial art in one fell swoop.

The work compiled and translated by the McCarthy’s (with some additional material by Joe Swift and Graham Noble) presents the currents swirling around Motobu in Japan. From the words of his students you get the feel what Motobu Sensei was as an instructor.

You see how the rivalry began between Motobu Choki and Funakoshi Ginchin began. A most fascinating incident in its own right, foreshadowing contemporary disputes between what a martial art should consist of. It is works like Mr. McCarthy’s which show that these events have been with us as martial artists from the earliest days recorded, and are likely to remain far into the future.

But not content to just present material on Motobu, this work incorporates material from Kyan Chotoku, giving us another view from Okinawa to greatly enhance our vision.

I can say every time I go through this work I find another gem to ponder.

Consider from Miyahira Katsuya’s ‘Recollections of Motobu’, on page 35.

“One reason why he had difficulty in establishing a ‘ryuha’ was because he was constantly changing (please read as improving) training methods. His idea of karate being “living experience” was, in the midst of that inflexible social structure, very un-Japanese-like. In other words, it didn’t fit into the Japanese budo paradigm, and, therefore, was never widely embraced by the powers-of-be.”

I believe this is the first explanation I’ve seen as to why Okinawa’s karate was dynamic and not static. This may have been a wider Okinawan tradition as opposed to how karate ryuha became to be seen, where kata and techniques were to develop into exact definitions.

I strongly believe in time this work will be seen as a very valuable glimpse into the earliest recorded Karate traditions. The McCarthy’s are to be recommended for their efforts.
Posted by: joesixpack

Re: Motobu Choki's 1932 , "Watashi no Karate-jutsu," - 05/02/02 07:51 PM

Is Watashi no the same as "Okinowan Kenpo"?

I live in Australia and no one can get Okinowan Kenpo for me, and I don't want to got through amazon because of the changing exchange rates.
Posted by: Koryu Uchinadi

Re: Motobu Choki's 1932 , "Watashi no Karate-jutsu," - 05/02/02 08:04 PM

It is not the same, although I've included the 12 kumite drills from the 1926 Okinawan Kenpo book in our English presentation of his 1932 publication.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joesixpack:
Is Watashi no the same as "Okinowan Kenpo"?

I live in Australia and no one can get Okinowan Kenpo for me, and I don't want to got through amazon because of the changing exchange rates.
[/QUOTE]
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Motobu Choki's 1932 , "Watashi no Karate-jutsu," - 05/06/02 04:12 PM

Hi Joesixpack,

I'd like to add, having purchased "Okinawan Kenpo" years ago, it is not a book I would recommend one to spend ones' money on.

Mr. McCarthy's book is vastly more informative and worthy for martial study.

Victor Smith