Hapkido by Marc Tedeschi

Posted by: Victor Smith

Hapkido by Marc Tedeschi - 07/13/01 08:22 PM

Recently the work "Hapkido" written by Marc Tedeschi was published by Weatherhill.

This is a massive work of 1136 pages covering Mr. Tedeschi's vision as to Hapkido's Traditions, Philosophy and Technique.

The work is so incredibly complex in the material covered, I fairly do not know where to begin. But if you want something to consider, in depth analysis, and great photography, this book is something that you should consider.

While there is so much to consider here, and I do not mean to say I necessarily agree with everything he has written, the effort he made to prepare this exceeds any work I've seen in English on the Martial Arts.

The only work I've seen in similar scope would be the entire body of material written by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming.

To show you what I mean, here are the Chapter headings of the book.

Part 1. Overview
History,
Philosophy(asian & hapkido),
Interviews,
Anatomy (overview, eastern concepts, meridians, acupoints, pressure point fighting, acupoint reference
Preparation
Technique Overview

Part 2. Basic Elements
Breathing * Meditation
Revival Techniques
Stances
Movement
Attack Points
Strikes (Arm, Leg, Head & Body, Combination)
Avoiding & Blocking
Holds (Chokes & Head Locks)
Throws

Part 3. Self Defense
Self Defense Overview
Defense Against Punches
Defense Against Kicks
Defense Against Holds
Defense Against Chokes
Defense against Joint Locks
Defense Against Throws
Ground Defenses
Defense using one or no arms
Attacking Techniques
Multiple Opponents
Protecting Another Person

Part 4. Weapons
Hapkido Weapons Overview
Knife Techniques
Short Stick Techniques
Long Staff Techniques
Cane Techniques
Sword Techniques
Rope Techniques
Common Objects as Weapons
Defense Against Handguns

This is such a dense treatment of a system, it would take a very large effort to review and qualify what is presented.

I believe there is much here to challenge our own knowledge and present a real template to the author's knowlege.

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu www.funkydragon.com/bushi
Posted by: Doughnut

Re: Hapkido by Marc Tedeschi - 08/31/03 05:33 AM

I think that this is a fantastic book. A fine overview of a dense MA system and a virtual Bible to the art. I like it.
Posted by: mateo

Re: Hapkido by Marc Tedeschi - 05/20/04 09:35 PM

Unlike most I found the book beautiful and large but ultimately a disappointment.

The organization follows no common organzation of techniques existing in any hapkido federation and includes many elements that do not naturally exist in hapkido as I have been taught either in North American or in my years in Korea.

More importantly the method of performing the techniques often does not coincide with ideal hapkido technique. I go through the book feeling as though I am watching a practitioner with knowledge of hapkido but whose roots and way of moving is centered in another discipline.

Myung Kwang-Sik's "Korean Art of Masters" and Kimm Young-Hee's "Hapkido" are much more satisfactory works in many respects.

Also Tedeschi is also a little vague as to who his hapkido teachers were and for how long he trained with them.

Just my opinion

[This message has been edited by mateo (edited 05-20-2004).]