Secret Weapons of Jujutsu

Posted by: Don Cunningham

Secret Weapons of Jujutsu - 04/02/01 08:51 PM

I thought your members might like to know about my new book, Secret Weapons of Jujutsu

Click here for more information.

The Japanese sword is much admired for its artistic value as well as for its practical merits. An emblem of the samurai's power and skill, it was venerated by the bushi, or warrior class. The sword was the “the soul of a samurai,” and swordsmanship was essential for survival on the battlefield.

During the relative peace of the Tokugawa Era, though, the sword was often considered unsuitable or was even unavailable for use in certain situations. Furthermore, non-samurai townsmen, including feudal era police assistants, were prohibited from carrying swords. Both samurai and townsmen frequently had to rely on alternative non-lethal weapons for personal defense, including the creative use of many common, everyday objects.

Secret Weapons of Jujutsu is the first book to appear in English that offers a detailed introduction to exotic defensive weapons like the tessen and jutte as well as other hibuki, or “concealed weapons.” Topics include the history and development of such weapons, as well as the philosophical and practical reasons for employing non-lethal alternatives.

The tessen, literally meaning “iron fan,” was either an actual folding fan with metal ribs or a non-folding solid bar made of either iron or wood and shaped like a folded fan. The tessen was considered a symbol of authority as well as a common self-defense weapon for extraordinary situations.

The jutte was an iron truncheon carried by feudal era police officers and their non-samurai assistants. Edo Period police developed many weapons and techniques against criminal violators, who were usually armed and frequently desperate. Essentially a defensive or restraining weapon, the jutte was popular because it could parry the slash of a razor-sharp sword and disarm an assailant without serious injury.

Secret Weapons of Jujutsu provides an introduction to the defensive techniques of tetsushaku-jutsu, or the use of a one shaku long metal or wood weapon to disarm or disable an attacker. Techniques illustrated are from several different Japanese martial art traditions which incorporate aspects of tetsushaku-jutsu. Secret Weapons of Jujutsu will be a valuable learning tool and resource for all classical Japanese martial arts practitioners.
Posted by: Chin-Chec

Re: Secret Weapons of Jujutsu - 12/11/01 03:17 PM

Thanks Don-san but I could not acsees (sorry for spelling) your website but I am very interested in your book so if you could e-mail me some info on it I would be very greatful thanks Chin-Chec
Posted by: Gyakuseiken

Re: Secret Weapons of Jujutsu - 10/30/02 06:56 PM

I had the pleasure of attending a seminar in Kenosha, WI over the Memorial Day weekend 2002 that Mr Cunningham provided. The information is historically fascinating, and the applications very interestig and effective. I'd recommend his book to anyone interested in a historical perspective to the development of the martial arts.

Take care Don,look forward to crossing paths again!