Some favorate books

Posted by: Chris Caile

Some favorate books - 08/11/00 03:37 PM

I want to welcome readers to this section and hope that you will find the discussion educational. I want to start out with a very short list of some of my favorate books that I would recommend to all readers. Let me know you favortes too.

Complete Aikido, by Roy Suenaka and Christopher Watson (Tuttle, 1998) Technique, plus Suenaka's tales of establishing the first aikido dojo in Okinawa, stories of O'sensei, and his karate training in karate under the legendary master Hohan Soken.

Karate Master: The Life and Times of Mitsusuke Harada, by Dr. Clive Layton (Bushido 1997) An absorbing biography about an innovative karate master who was one of the last disciples of Gichen Funakoshi that includes training wisdom and his own views on technique.

Okinawa: The History of An Island People, by George H. Kerr. Now out of print this classic is being revised by Tuttle and will soon make its way back to the bookshelves.

Okinawan Karate: Teachers, Styles, and Secret Techniques (second Edition), by Mark Bishop (Tuttle 1999)
Informative historical information of Okinawan karate styles, kobudo, lineages and teachers.

Secrets of the Samurai: A Survey of the Martial Arts of Japan, by Oscar Ratti & Adele Eestbrook (Tuttle) A broad overslook and examination of Japan's classical warrior arts, social and military structure as well as modern budo's historical roots and includes marvelous illustrations that capture the action and strategy of combat engagements.

The Sword & the Mind, by Munenori Yagyu, translated with an introduction and notes by Hiroaki Sato (Overlook Press, 1986) A classic and one of this authors favorites, the book illustrates swordsmanship and its strategy. Included are insights of three great Japanese swordsmen.

Karate, Technique and Spirit, by Tadashi Nakamura (Shufunotomo Co., Ltd. Japan distributed in the US by Tuttle) Now hard to find this classic will soon appear in a soft cover version reissued by Tuttle. Much more than a text on karate technique this book is a textbook on Seido karate but also emphasizes the spirit and philosophy of the art.

Unante: The Secrets of Karate, by John Sells (W. M. Hawley, 1995) An authoritative source on the history, teachers and styles of karate.
Posted by: Judokid

Re: Some favorate books - 10/08/03 12:12 PM

Ninja Mind Manipulaion
By Dr. Haha (Lung?
And Christopher Prowett

Textbook of of Judo.
By Nagayasu Osasawara sensei, 8th dan

Stick Fighting for Combat
???(I regret that I don't remember-a student of Joo Bang Lee) -In Black Belt Magazine.
Ohara Publications.

Bruce Lee's Fighting Method (particularly Vol. 1) By Bruce Lee and his student and friend, whose name I do not recall (Not Dan Inosanto, Paul Vunak, or James Demile,I'm sure. It's another student.
Posted by: bassaiguy

Re: Some favorate books - 10/10/03 07:33 AM

There are many books that I have found valuable over the years, but most recently I have been looking at two newer books:

Shotokan: A Precise History by Harry Cook
Martial Musings by Robert Smith

Both are by quality writers who have proven their chops as martial artists and authors.
Posted by: goju

Re: Some favorate books - 12/25/03 07:30 PM

living the martial way

zen in the martial arts (good book could have been better)

Karate doh my way of life

there is numerus others which cant come to my mind right now
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Some favorate books - 11/24/04 10:59 AM

A note to Judokid:
The man who wrote the stickfighting book was Michael D. Echanis who also authored 2 other books on knife fighting all available from Ohara Publications. Echanis was real life badass. He trained directly under Grandmaster Joo Bang Lee and his brother Grandmaster Joo Sang Lee. He went on to train elite US military units in the post Vietnam era. Echanis was killed in a helicopter crash while fighting as a merc in Central America. Anything you can dig up on him or by him is worth the read. He was the first real American Ninja in the decade before Stephan K. Hayes made it cool. Echanis published a number of articles in mags like Black Belt and Soldier of Fortune in the late '70's before his death in '79 or '80. From what I remember about him his life story would make one hell of good action flick.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Some favorate books - 11/28/04 12:18 PM

One of my all time fav's is:
Effortless Combat Throws by Tim Cartmel
The breakdown of principle and theory is excellent. The throws are pretty good too.

Regards

Chris
Posted by: Alejandro

Re: Some favorate books - 11/28/04 09:16 PM

-Living the Martial Way
Forrest Morgan

Great overview of the warrior lifestyle, which will motivate you greatly; the first MA book I ever bought, and I still read it.

-Secrets of Okinawan Karate
Kiyoshi Arakaki

Brilliant work focusing on the inner physical dynamics of karate. An advanced book which I learned ALOT from.

-Tales of Okinawa's Greatest Masters
Shoshin Nagamine

Great biographies on okinawan bushi; a very important book.

-Karate Do: My Way of Life
Gichin Funakoshi

Fascinating insight into koryu uchinadi training and the beginnings of karate as a budo.

-All of Dave Lowry's books
His writings are simply excellent, and always easy and fun to read; he's a true one!

-Al

Re: Some favorate books - 12/01/04 10:18 PM

I liked Guge Gongji by Hei Long for being simple and direct but would have prefered photos to drawings for illustrating techniques.

Scott Shaw's Tao of Self Defense was very good and also liked his book on TKD. I want to read more by him. I've read a number articles in mags through the years and IMHO he's good.

The Ultimate Training for the Martial Arts is a compilation of magazine articles. It's a good reference with great tips on variety of topics.

Re: Some favorate books - 01/08/05 10:44 AM

The Pinnacle of Karate by Robert A. Trias

- Excellent book, a must have for any shuri stylist, or anyone interesting in the shuri style.

Karate Master by Jose M. Fraguas

- Interesting text. Interviewing a lot of the modern day masters. (ie: Fumio Demura, Patrick McCarthy, Hirokazu Kanazawa)

Bubish The Bible of Karate (translated) by Patrick McCarthy

-Must have book.

Martial Arts Teaching Tales Of Power and Paradox by Pascal Fauliot

- Awesome book! If you've never read it.. READ IT!

Semsei by John Donahue

-Murder mystery. It was a really good book.

Book of Five Rings by Miyamato Musashi

- Classic!