Competition Aikido Ippons 2012

Posted by: Prizewriter

Competition Aikido Ippons 2012 - 03/23/13 08:58 AM

Some comp footage from Shodokan tournaments in the UK last year. Some nice ippons, including a few nice Waki Gatames (standing arm bar). Not pretty, but that is what Aikido looks like when you start adding resistance :P

Posted by: iaibear

Re: Competition Aikido Ippons 2012 - 03/23/13 06:23 PM

Must be a Brit thing.
I have only been involved in Aikido since 1994 here in the States. This is the first time I have heard of actual combat style competition (like Karate and Judo).
So far as I have experienced (take that as you will), we have to take turns being the aggressor. I have never seen two aggressors matched against each other to make a combat competition.
Clarification would be appreciated.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Competition Aikido Ippons 2012 - 03/29/13 06:39 AM

Iaibear,

The Shodokan/Tomiki school of Aikido holds competitions regularly across the world. They have done since the 1950's so far as I am aware. Kenji Tomiki was a student of Morihei Ueshiba and Jigoro Kano, and was promoted to 8th Dan in both Judo and Aikido. His Judo influenced his ideas on Aikido, which eventually led to him formulating a form of free fighting, which eventually lead to competitions.

Here are the rules

http://tomiki.org/rules.html

Like Judo, there are varying levels of score (e.g. waza-ari, ippon) depending on how well the technique is performed. Generally, for throwing techniques, scores are awarded if your opponent lands on their back/side with significant momentum while you maintain reasonable balance. Scores are awarded for locking techniques if you apply a lock fully and can maintain the lock for a few seconds, leaving your opponent "defenseless".

There are 2 types of Randori: Tanto randori (where uke has a small wooden tanto and attempts to hit tori with it) and toshu randori (empty hand randori, not a million miles away from pushing hands in Taijiquan).

Generally speaking, the throws/locks applied randori are one of the 17 kata of Shodokan/Tomiki Aikido:

Hope that helps! Anymore questions, fire away smile
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Competition Aikido Ippons 2012 - 03/29/13 08:21 AM

Thanks for setting me straight. :-)