post out of dojo training tips

Posted by: karl314285

post out of dojo training tips - 08/13/09 07:51 PM

Hi,

Hope no one minds moving off last topic smile

Rolling (forward, forward into a breakfall and back), been landscaping some rich folk home with an extended steep portion of yard to street...

long enough to start forward roll, got 3 and did a "breakfall" ground level, still steep...switched to back roll and switched to one last forward roll stopping the roll with a slap out like "breakfall"

that was neat, Master always said practice does not end when one walks out the Dojo door...this might be a nice Aiki topic as I was hoping only to get other advice and "out of dojo" practices....

if y'all think this sucks it's all cool. Post over and move on baby smile

Karl. Peace.

Re: post out of dojo training tips - 08/14/09 07:33 PM

Hi me,

reply to myself...so sad:(

am I strange and alone in this...when waiting or often just randomly I will practice sets of 10 reps of wrist streching, Ikkyo, Yonkyo, and Kotogish.

The Woman I'm staying with has a Pit/ Rottie mix, I practice tenkan to seize her (the Dog, not the Lady) by both hind legs as a snatch and neutralize technique...
/
to mix it I practice Irimi when she starts a jump and push
!!!!NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THIS PLAY!!! (humans, me, was scratched up but shes a good Dog and likes the play)
/
QUESTION: I was taught by Oshima Sensei how Tenkan can PHYSICALLY be used to effect the mind set of an altercation, be it at work, home, or of course...potential impending conflict...It works well...any one want to guess how or why??? Or should I stop talking to myself:)

Karl. Peace.

P.S. The concept of practice not stopping after leaving the dojo was first conditioned in me by my Late Master Ngo Dong and reiterated by Oshima Sensei...so this could be a post to pop up in a Hard Style forum...like me using controlled backfist to close cabinet doors...HMMMM, OK I must be alone and weird...
Posted by: eyrie

Re: post out of dojo training tips - 08/15/09 02:10 AM

You could try closing drawers and doors with a static version of funekogi undo.

There's lots of opportunities to practice doing farm work or house work.. like sweeping floors, raking the yard, cleaning the pool, lifting bags of fertilizer and stuff...

Most aikido movements are characterized by movement in 4 directions - up/down (think suburi) and front/back (funekogi). You could add side-to-side if you like... same thing.

Irimi/Tenkan is merely a positional thing, in which you are shifting your feet and body into a position of dominance.

Re: post out of dojo training tips - 08/15/09 08:37 AM

Hi,

Thanks for input eyrie, I hope others will give similar input as the funekogi undo idea. Sweeping has been a form of meditation for me since I started MA Oh so many years ago, I enjoyed cleaning the dojo floor...this landscape job more wet/dry Vacuum use but I can try tenkan and when vacuuming higher areas perhaps happo undo.

Do like the idea behind this post?

Karl. Peace.
Posted by: Ames

Re: post out of dojo training tips - 08/16/09 01:55 PM

When I was younger and even more invincible than I am today, I used to practice forward breakfalls down a very steep hill in the park that, in the winter, kids use for sledding. I wouldn't recommend this kind of thing, because I was lucky that I didn't hit any of the trees on the way down!

I like drilling in my daily life. One that I do is when I'm in a large crowd I like to walk as close to people as possible and use sabaki at the last second so that don't actually touch them.

Another great 'solo drill' is digging up the ground with a shovel and trying to move the load around while keeping your upper body as relaxed as possible with you grip still tight.

--Chris

--Chris
Posted by: eyrie

Re: post out of dojo training tips - 08/16/09 09:53 PM

Not as much fun as walking into the crowd and "bouncing" them off you. wink

BTW, I'd keep the hands soft (so as not to unconsciously engage any arm, shoulder or upper body musculature). You'd want to try and let your legs and middle carry the load (and do stuff), as much as possible. It's not as easy as it sounds, and as you tire, you'll quickly start to notice how much arm/shoulder tension there is.

Actually, I would start out simply holding a glass of water with your arm outstretched and see how long you last... just so you can see how much excess tension you unconciously hold.

Re: post out of dojo training tips - 08/18/09 06:54 PM

Hi,

I know I started it as out of dojo, this kinda counts...

in the karate dojo, when sparring, wait a bit so everyone is sweaty, tenkan or irimi, try like beginning kotegiesh and strip there glove off (just for fun, if you can step foot pad toe area, you get their bootie too)

Irimi - grab knot on belt and pull them in till body contact, then tenkan and release, if you can kiss their cheek too it freaks people out (dont bang skulls tho)

Karl. Peace.

Re: post out of dojo training tips - 08/19/09 04:13 PM

Hi to me,
NOW that's pathetic:)

Yard work with bokken.

When I purchase a weapon (usually to replace the one I broke) and it is one I have trained and am competent (not me, my skill and extent of training with the weapon) I have already gone through kata, I kinda move to use of weapon on objects (e.g. my Tambo/hambo, three section staff etc) An old wooden ladder is great for many wooden cudgel types. can demarcate w/ red paint foot, knees,arm area and head)

In 2001 I had broken my red oak bokken and purchased a white ash on from Japan...leery as the red oak shattered on the third strike destroying a small book shelf my roommate no longer wanted, I was tasked with removing lower to head high tree branches, both roommates wanted to watch sure it would break, ten branches later it hardly had a dent, I have continued to use it to delimb trees I was asked to fell, I prefer my two 27 in machette but every so often I want to use the bokken, I dont know what they did when they made it, I just routinely keep it oiled (a Thirsty wood it is), I also use it to reduce size of variety's of hard trash so it fits in can. Even hung thing from rope off tree branches and practice a Batto-jitsu kata (determined by where I place them.

So put a bokken to the test, if one can afford a new one

Karl. Peace.

Re: post out of dojo training tips - 08/25/09 09:43 PM

Hi Me,

Walking next to someone (say work) at a fair clip and by simply touching their wrist and starting (not completing a full tenkan) by walking forward in a small semicircle (Aikidoka will understand the difference tween walking forward in a circle as opposed to the weak walking backward))...
Guide your walking partner as tho avoiding chewing gum or an invisible person in the way (P.S. avoid discussing these "invisible people", thats how you get on haldol or thorazine:) )

Get so good they dont even question the light touch or why you both swerved, even convince them "They did it ,you were just following"

Almost like push hands , huh??
Or do I really see dead people???

Karl. Peace.

P.S. I seem to on a {with few exceptions} monologue and I aint On th Colbert Report, oh well I thought It was a net topic....