Aikido techniques vs. Wing Tsun

Posted by: Jokatech

Aikido techniques vs. Wing Tsun - 03/25/09 08:22 PM

I have studied Wing Tsun Kuen for about 7 years or so, getting serious more in the latter couple of years. Recently I have begun studying with a master of Aikido, Sado, Tae Kwon Do, and other styles who I have the priviledge of working with. He has taught me stances that I have been familiar with in my studies of other arts. I have studied Tae Kwon Do, Boxing, Tai Chi, and Wrestling. But in Wing Tsun, these stances are alittle controversial. In WT you never open your stance and expose the groin. I just want to know where the middle ground is. I know that in Aikido you use forward, side and back stances to shift weight and increase force in punches, reversals and throws, but in Wing Tsun, you don't shift as much and are more economical with movements. What should I do?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Aikido techniques vs. Wing Tsun - 03/26/09 08:34 AM

Hmmm....Not sure what you mean by "more economical". I think Aikido has excellent footwork, maybe even better than boxing's.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Aikido techniques vs. Wing Tsun - 03/26/09 08:42 AM

<< I know that in Aikido you use forward, side and back stances to shift weight and increase force in punches, reversals and throws, >>

I am not all that great in Aikido having only started practicing it in 1994. My version of the above would be closer to, "step off line, misdirect uke and help him on his way to the mat". But that's just me.
Posted by: Ames

Re: Aikido techniques vs. Wing Tsun - 03/26/09 10:26 AM

I think I get the gist of your post.

I do think that Aikido and Wing Chun work well together, and have met some people who have, or currently do, train both. I have taken some Wing Chun in the past, but not much at all. I would say that the trapping of Wing Chun helps Aikido very much. The range WC focuses in on is a little closer than the longer distance of most Aikido techniques. So that could explain the differing use of power in the arts. So that might be a middle ground of sorts. Of course, there are probably a lot aspects of the two arts that can't be reconciled.

--Chris
Posted by: karl314285

Re: Aikido techniques vs. Wing Tsun - 03/28/09 11:29 PM

Hi, Jokatech

I found one solution when I went from basically Shotokan Karate to Aikido.

In Aikido, I did Aikido
In Karate, I did Karate

Until about 4yrs of Aikido where I learned the value of a good itemi and that sparring pads slip off real easy. In Aikido I found I was a Valued and well abused...uh USED I ment, Uke for higher (Dan rank testing) due to my striking/kicking experience.

You are ingrained in WT, allow time time to absorb the Alien Japanese Creation of Aikido (kinda from Chinese Chin-Na) and....then begin merging the two to make a more effective whole...waiting sucks but...see what others say, just my solution that worked for me.

-Karl. Peace.
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Aikido techniques vs. Wing Tsun - 06/09/09 07:35 PM

i think Karl314285 probably gave you the best advice, imo

its hard for you to understand the 2 together because you've been practicing WC for 7 years while your time with Aikido is only a fraction of that. When in class, try and understand Aikido more first. Practice Aikido the way you are taught. Outside of class, practice your WC so that it doesnt become rusty.

After sometime when you are more familiar with Aikido and its footwork and principles, THEN start to think about merging your separate skills together.