How much will my previous training help me

Posted by: TheKen

How much will my previous training help me - 02/05/09 12:03 PM

in learning Aikido. For example coming from jutsu I feel I already know how to fall and roll better than the beginner level, granted there are some stylistic differences. I also know many locks in application but more importantly principle of how the wrist, or insert joint of choice, can move.

I am just wondering how much this will help me in moving forward in Aikido.

I understand I am not going to walk into this and be the "MAN" from past training. There is much that is different that I need to learn and absorb. I mean really if I was the "MAN" I wouldn't have to post this question.

Also if I felt I was the "MAN" Aikido might be the wrong pursuit for my personality type!!!

Ken
Posted by: Ames

Re: How much will my previous training help me - 02/05/09 05:19 PM

Your previous training well certainly help with some of the early 'stuff', such as break falling, basic principles of joint locking. So I think that will put you ahead of the curve somewhat.

On the other hand, I think you'll find the footwork very different, as well as the maai. This could have the effect of slowing progress a little if you try to use your past knowledge too early. The 'set ups' are pretty different as well.

Of course, this is all at the pragmatic technique level, at the deeper, 'principle' level, you may find very few similarity's.

--Chris
Posted by: eyrie

Re: How much will my previous training help me - 02/05/09 06:37 PM

Perhaps it might be easier and more interesting to approach it from a "beginner" mindset...

Personally, I find that students with excess baggage from previous experiences tend to be less "open" to the subtleties and intricacies of new areas of exploration, and as a result, stymie their own progress and development.

FWIW, my $0.01.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: How much will my previous training help me - 02/09/09 04:00 PM

I think its time to empty your cup after learning the principles and techniques then try to combine or find similarities. I think your past experience will make you better but not if you try to un-teach whats being taught. STay open minded and rejoice in the things that you find and learn differently. There is an embracing of Ki that Aikido uses that you don't see in some of the less giving arts.

Empty your Cup, but I think once filled it will overflow.
Posted by: Ames

Re: How much will my previous training help me - 02/09/09 04:15 PM

Yes, before starting a new art, it's good to empty your cup. Just don't waste what's already in it.

--Chris

Re: How much will my previous training help me - 02/09/09 06:25 PM

Quote:

There is an embracing of Ki that Aikido uses that you don't see in some of the less giving arts.

It's comments like this that don't help anyone.

Re: How much will my previous training help me - 02/10/09 04:45 AM

Thats what I experience in training other arts and then Aikido it is just my opinion doesn't have to mean anything but just something to be open toward. For example to a Jujitsu or Karate person the unbendable arm attacks are not very realistic but they do have a purpose in merging and flowing. Ki is important to in the training of Aikido at the higher level.

You being a Sensei of Aikido know that, why hide it form him. Why tried to hide stuff it don't cost you anything.

Re: How much will my previous training help me - 02/10/09 06:16 PM

Well, the truth is, ki is important to the training of, and is implicit in most Asian martial arts. It's not just peculiar to aikido, it's in karate, jujitsu, sword, etc. The issue is to what degree it is explicitly taught and trained.

As an example, sanchin "kata" is essentially a form of qigong (kiko), but how many karate practitioners here actually think of it as such, or even refer to it as "ki development"?

Re: How much will my previous training help me - 02/11/09 12:29 AM

Ki is important in most or all of the Martial arts. As you stated Karate's Sanchin Kata is a basic exercise to practice channeling Ki undeniable its our quest. I explain this from day one of training Sanchin and Tensho kata they will be performing from kyu level well past BB into your martial art career in search of this source of energy.

Why try to keep secrets? Let them accept their own truth but lets make surew we at least show the way.

Granted it can be confusing, but so is higher math initally.

With Aiki's guiding and merging it is almost a must to get the most out of it.imo
Posted by: TheKen

Re: How much will my previous training help me - 02/13/09 12:42 PM

I thought I had mentioned I prefer to approach this as new from step 1 due to some philisophical points. My question was to adoption of physical movements. I have found basic Akai physical methodologies in previous training although not specifically called that. I know how to fall/roll. Also the concept of qi/ki is nothing foreign to me, nor is the unbendable arm. On a side note I prefer to sum it up more to haragei. Call it my grounding in the physical world.

Ken

Re: How much will my previous training help me - 02/13/09 05:01 PM

Then your question has been answered empty yoru cup. Every dojo you go to will do things a little different, even if you were changing Aikido dojos. Start open minded and learn what the Instructor has to teach and don't reach back to your old ways until you are home.

In the end you must use what you can and discard what you can't but starting new you don't know what that is, empty your cup. All this is phyiscal and mental resist your ego.
Posted by: karl314285

Re: How much will my previous training help me - 02/18/09 07:39 AM

Tennis and racquetball, i've heard hard to do both. Having moved from rather hard style karate, into not just Aikido, but Ki Society Aikido I know you will have advantage...but if I take it correctly previous practice was Ju-Jitsu then disadvantage will be need to go slower than perhaps you wish so as to avoid injuring unwitting partner. Go slow, more flow, and as The Founder Master Uyeshiba emphasized, Aikido is Love, to find and give "Abundant Peace". Good to know how to separate muscle/tendon/joint in nikyo, very good to know how to bring to ground or submission using nikyo w/o maiming.